Got a new light. Need some input

Joshifer

Ok before I open it and install it I need some feedback. If its not good ill return it.

Reading the box and copying

Fluval sea LED. 1630 lumens. Color temp 25000k 5950 LUX white blue and red LEDs. SMD led.

Box says balanced combo of LEDs for optimal photosynth coral growth and viewing color.

If its a little too low for my 65G what if I use this alongside my CFL? Not worried about power consumption the light bill is included in my rent so whatever lol.

I have no idea. With me it was just trial an error. My palys toward the bottom were losing color. I added a second light fixture and they colored up. Make sure the light intensity looks about the same thoughout the tank. I could be wrong but it seems that adding more LEDs never hurts since the strongest i have seen is 3watts per bulb.

I have no idea. With me it was just trial an error. My palys toward the bottom were losing color. I added a second light fixture and they colored up. Make sure the light intensity looks about the same thoughout the tank. I could be wrong but it seems that adding more LEDs never hurts since the strongest i have seen is 3watts per bulb.

I just wanna know If its finally sufficient for corals. Cus it was $300 if its no good ill return it to petco.

I think it uses 1

Watt LEDs and you could do better for not much more. Return it and talk to quantum reefs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Was a gift card. That's why I didn't originally go to QR. my aunt heard I'm doing much better since starting an aqaurium (health issues) and she was happy to hear and sent a petco card in the mail.

I ran into a fellow reefer at petco while I was looking at the lights and she sad she uses this light and she has good results from her coral and LTA. She didnt work there so it wasn't like she was trying to turn a dollar. Idk maybe ill try it for a week or two and see how it goes. Has to be better then the CFL lights I'm using now.

Maybe if I run both. And remove the 2 actinics bulbs and replace with fill daylight bulbs plus the new LEDs since they have blue in them. Or would that be over kill ? Basically it'll be 8 12000k bulbs and this new light.

Not positive but petco.com probably has more options. And I'm sure you can use a gift card on there.

Why try to use off-brand junk? 

Everyone around these parts is using Evergrow D120's with great success for about $150 each.

No one uses Fluval Led lights and you would be the first. You tell us how it works.

Fluval is anything but off brand....it's made by Hagen, which is based in Germany.  They make AC HOB's and Fluval canister filters, both are highly regarded products in the fw hobby.  They do not, however, have a large presence in the sw hobby. 

Josh, have you googled "Fluval sea LED"?  I did, and found this review with par values on the 36" model:

http://www.reefs.com/blog/2012/07/12/product-review-hagen-fluval-sea-led-light/

Now it's your turn to google par values for soft corals, see what you come up with.  Hope this helps.

Edited by londonloco

keep in mind those par readings are in an empty tank. a tank filled with water will reduce the par available at those depths. joshifer, how deep is your tank? the tank in the part readings is less than 20" deep. 

my first take - this light is overpriced.

Marineland, Fluval, and I'm sure there are others make great stuff for FW lighting..

For $300 2 D-120 will be amazing on your $65. I know it was a gift card. Use it for salt :)

Return it.

Why try to use off-brand junk?

Everyone around these parts is using Evergrow D120's with great success for about $150 each.

No one uses Fluval Led lights and you would be the first. You tell us how it works.

can we still get them for $150? I would like them

Josh, at 46W of power dissipation, I find it very hard to believe that it will generate sufficient light across a 48-57" aquarium (the adjustment range of the $300 version of this light) for your intended purpose. By comparison, the D120's that people are referencing here are equipped with 55-3W Bridgelux LED's running probably close to 75% max (my guess) for a total dissipation of about 120W each (and you would probably put two of these over a 4' long tank!). Technically, a pure-power comparison is not exact, but the efficiency of LEDs are pretty high and the output reasonably comparable for this sort of coarse estimation. Reefbreeders' basic "Value LED Fixture" is $180 without added optics (default spread on the LED is 120 degrees), or about $200 with added (60 or 90 degrees). You might find other, similar lights from other sources that are competitive and a better value than what you have there.

A $300 gift card is nothing to sneeze at. That's a nice gift. I know that your Aunt would like you to buy something nice with it. Salt, as necessary as it is, just doesn't seem to meet that objective, does it?

Fluval is not good. Buy salt, dry food, maybe some fish? or even API test kits... petco in Rockville MD takes good care of fish and they bring snowflake & picasso clownfish..

Fluval is not good. Buy salt, dry food, maybe some fish? or even API test kits... petco in Rockville MD takes good care of fish and they bring snowflake & picasso clownfish..

funny enough my baby brother runs that Petco's selection

petco carries vortech mp10....even if you don't want one you might be able to sell it for near purchase price and/or find someone looking to buy new who will take the gift card from you for near face value.

if you add some salt in your order and a few odds and ends you will get to $300 and shipping from petco.com is free for over $50 I believe

really? is he on WAMAS?

No he actually lives in Rockville and has a few tanks himself. He inherited my old FOWLR tanks and I talk to him here and again about maintenance lol. I will tell you Petco does not give the store the resources to do it correctly and is very corporate thinking. Not a bad company but hard to maintain it correctly with the speed to sell.

can we still get them for $150? I would like them

Reefbreeders' basic "Value LED Fixture" is $180 without added optics (default spread on the LED is 120 degrees), or about $200 with added (60 or 90 degrees). You might find other, similar lights from other sources that are competitive and a better value than what you have there.

for anyone interested in the evergrows - let me know. josh like we mentioned in your other thread for an affordable light that will deliver the goods there really isn't a better option. i'd be glad to help you get one or a couple over your tank when you're ready.

I just got this from Dave at Nanobox

He sells hanging kits you could get away with two Duos I bet.  I have a Mono.

1167268_10101784238104589_1928241124_o_z

It is pretty sweet, came with a Storm X controller.  The entire tank instantly looked better, and I had a kessil ocean blue 150 that Quantum Reefs lent me before I received the new one.  That is last night right after I set up. 

So many replies. Read them all. Gonna try to reply to everyone. Lol

Lets see. The salt situation I'm good for a little while. I got one of those 200 gallon boxes of I/O mix from QR.

I'm gonna look at petco.com and see if they have any of the lights you guys recommended.

In my skimmer post I was saying I was gonna return it. So if I return both the light and skimmer

Ill have $500 credit to play with. (Aunt sent a $500 gift card. Her brothers the one with the expensive tank I mentioned a while back)

So my next move is browsing they're website and preparing some water over night because Saturday is my water change day :)