achilles

YHSublime

I came home to my Achilles missing a huge chunk of skin out of it's side, and laying on its side in a qt tank and I cycled with some sand from my 57. He has been in there by himself for 2.5 weeks, and eating healthy. I scooped him into a container that I started dripping from my DT, but I don't want to obviously introduce this fish into my DT. He appears to be doing well as soon as I started to drip, but now is lying on his side again, and I'm afraid I fear the worst. 

I'm afraid this guy is probably going to die in my hands, and would offer him up to anybody around, but I fear that the stress of the move will cause death as well. Thoughts?

can you get a picture of his side?  Maybe it can help us in helping you

I am really sorry about this isaac...I know how much you love that fish....its very sad.

HOLY COW...

not what I had envisioned....is there anything like a powerhead or something that could have physically done that to him?  If its an infection and you didn't notice anything its frightening..

you could euthanize it (more) humanely by putting it into a covered bowl in the freezer.

+1

sorry my friend...I know its going to be heartbreaking...but it is for the best for this fish

That sucks. Sorry Isaac. One of my all-time favorites for sure

Thanks all. There was a powerhead in there, I don't know if that was the cause or not. I was acting fast in order to save what I believe was a gone fish.

You're right Rob, it's all in the name. The price tag on them isn't great either, lesson learned the hard way.

At least this way I know my fish community will be a little bit more peaceful.

Sucks..... I agree, everything I've read have put them on my "Do Not Purchase" list.  Live Aquaria actually lists them as "Expert", and I far from an expert, and never will be. 

Losing fish has been the worse thing about this hobby, and is what makes it feel more like real life than "just a hobby".

Sorry to hear about this Isaac! I'm sure you did your best and did everything you could.

Sucks..... I agree, everything I've read have put them on my "Do Not Purchase" list.  Live Aquaria actually lists them as "Expert", and I far from an expert, and never will be. 

Losing fish has been the worse thing about this hobby, and is what makes it feel more like real life than "just a hobby".

Very well said and humble, Matt. Need more of this in this hobby it seems, me included.

Edited by howaboutme

Thanks all. Just to be clear, this fish had a clean bill of health. It was in my possession for about a month, was eating like a hog, and eating everything at that, it was even eating from my hands. Although I'm not sure what the issue was: I can assure you that the variable that led to it's condition was me. I had been observing this fish for a long time, and I believe what happened was a power head, although I don't suppose I'll ever be certain. Either way, it was an expensive lesson learned.

Thanks all. Just to be clear, this fish had a clean bill of health. It was in my possession for about a month, was eating like a hog, and eating everything at that, it was even eating from my hands. Although I'm not sure what the issue was: I can assure you that the variable that led to it's condition was me. I had been observing this fish for a long time, and I believe what happened was a power head, although I don't suppose I'll ever be certain. Either way, it was an expensive lesson learned.

You can't beat yourself up about it, it happens.  And it certainly sounds like a powerhead, but may have been sick and weak before it got nipped.  Who knows, but it's obvious you care about your fish and weren't neglecting it or being overly careless.  Stop doing hard time, as the judge in your case, I rule this an accidental death, and not a homicide.  You are released with a sentence of 1 year probation  :tongue:

I'm sorry to hear about that. I know you were pretty excited about that fish. What type of powerhead was it? I would make sure to put some kind of protection of it before putting another fish in it.

Thanks again all. The Achilles was the one fish I was particularly bent on. It might go on my list with Mandys.

The powerhead was one of those big bulky marineland ones, I won't be using it again except to mix water.

Did the fish actually die? From the course of the thread I am guessing it did, but if you remove it from the tank with the power-head wont it still have a (slim) chance? I had a damsel recently lose about that much of its side due to, what I believe to be, a fight with my Kole Tang, and it is almost totally healed now. Fish are amazingly fast healers.