monkiboy's 265g build thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

had a pretty rough day but tried to get some stuff done ...

sound blocking/damping insulation, vapor barrier, and drywall up under the stand

photo1_zps5527ac28.jpg

cleaned up the rear pane and alcohol swiped -

photo_zpsc67a8b10.jpg

decided to try some "black out" privacy window film - not fun AT ALL. incredibly difficult trying to do it in one piece with the cut out for the external overflow and little room to work with on the left and the material sticking to itself and then working all the bubbles out afterwards.

744c935d-fd29-4e7c-b078-2e91162ba791_zps

shower liner time -

20130822_144508_zpse236f00e.jpg

replaced bulkheads on refugium and frag tanks and reinstalled on stand. then had to resetup the entire sump system for the upstairs tank again. i just made it a nice water change and drained and refilled everything once done with the shower pan liner.

20130822_204029_zps51f7242c.jpg

20130822_204020_zpse12f5b72.jpg

next is to install sheet PVC all around on the walls from the bottom 4' up which will lay on top of the shower pan liner and completely cover the wall under the stand as well to protect the drywall there from sump salt creep/splashing/etc and add added sound dampening (albeit minimal).

Holy plumbing parts batman!that's a lot of unions, valves and such!

I'm assuming you also have a gallon of glue too?

good luck!

i like having unions everywhere! but yes, i won't use half of it, i don't think. just really didn't want to have to order more and stop an all-day plumbing bonanza, haha. i'll probably post the rest for sale keeping a few extra with the others just in case for down the road.

glue...good point, i'll need more of that probably! i should get a respirator, that scd80 solvent and glue is no joke!

How does that skimmer work?

With two big a$$ pumps that could probably pump both our tanks together ;)

yay skimmer!

20130824_112142_zps564eb6d6.jpg

Yep, that does look like a skimmer.  What is the total height?  Must be about 4 feet high? It's hard for me to get my head around the size even though it has a gatorade bottle sitting next to it.  It kind of looks like someone took a large cylindrical aquarium and turned it into a skimmer, heh.

What are all of those ports on the side for that seem to be plugged with pvc caps?  Looks like the bottom right one is how water will get into the skimmer because it has an elbow on it?

How does air get into it?  Are you putting venturi nozzles on both of those Diablo pumps?  I assume they'll run recirculating, so you'll have to have both the input and output of the two pumps plumbed into those ports?

Looks familiar! I see that you cut the base down. It'll fit easier in your sump that way. It als looks like you're going to use it as a non-recirc skimmer. Enjoy!

What ? No Avast fancy stickers or inscriptions.

no stickers but they found the original grey seas swabbie and retrofitted a new motor so it's as as awesome and original as it was years ago with a few enhancements. there's the classic logo on that. see...

20130824_173210_zps925cc599.jpg

How does that skimmer work?

ah, they weren't photographed in the above photo but i think i mentioned that i picked up two reef octopus diablo 5500 skimmer pumps. here's a photo with them installed.

20130824_173833_zps30c1c284.jpg

With two big a$$ pumps that could probably pump both our tanks together ;)

nah, the 5500s are itty bitty pumps, haha.

Yep, that does look like a skimmer.  What is the total height?  Must be about 4 feet high? It's hard for me to get my head around the size even though it has a gatorade bottle sitting next to it.  It kind of looks like someone took a large cylindrical aquarium and turned it into a skimmer, heh.

What are all of those ports on the side for that seem to be plugged with pvc caps?  Looks like the bottom right one is how water will get into the skimmer because it has an elbow on it?

How does air get into it?  Are you putting venturi nozzles on both of those Diablo pumps?  I assume they'll run recirculating, so you'll have to have both the input and output of the two pumps plumbed into those ports?

total height with the swabbie is right about 36". remember current plans dictate this guy has to fit under my stand which is at right around 42" so it has to stay reasonable. but yeah, it's still pretty large!

the other holes were for 4 psk1000s recirculating pumps originally, they are plugged now . other than just looking a little out of place the capped holes won't have any impact on the skimmer.  dan considered gluing a patch on them but every now and then the acrylic will craze (spiderweb looking micro cracks) when glue is applied to something that was exposed to saltwater for a long period of time and we didn't want to take the chance as even if it wasn't leaking, would drive me nuts knowing it's there. there's a photo above showing the placement of the new skimmer pumps and how water comes in. the inlet you described is actually the outlet, though.

the diablo pumps (the 3500 and 5500s) can be bought as water flow pumps or skimmer pumps, actually. the skimmer pumps as one would guess come with the venturi and needle wheel.

OC9223-2T.jpg

i am not running these recirculating. we agreed that i'd get a much longer service life from the pumps this way as it will allow the pumps to be submerged in water and keep them cool and running well. with the recirculating option they are not submerged and dan's experience was that they will not provide a long term reliable solution. while a recirculating skimmer is a little more efficient, with 2 of these pumps i'm still way over rated for my system so there is really no loss in capacity here. lastly, by keeping the integrity of the dc5500 as it comes from the factory it will give me a bolt on easy replacement down the road should it ever be required.

Looks familiar! I see that you cut the base down. It'll fit easier in your sump that way. It als looks like you're going to use it as a non-recirc skimmer. Enjoy!

you have the same body, original 12, right? i didn't cut it down but i guess someone did once upon a time, haha. thanks, all things point to incredible, efficient, reliable, and power-saving performance! eager to give these diablo pumps a go!

Yes, same body on mine. The original pumps, though, were Eheim 1262's as I recall. The PSK1000's were not around back then. There weren't very many GSA Standard 12's made, so you've got a classic (even if it's been modded a little). I think that Dave Lin has one. Dan (from Avast), too. Right now, I don't have elbows on the inside of mine turning the flow and it does fine. However, I've been thinking about adding them just to see what it does with the bubble density and foam quality. (Mine's set up as a recirculating skimmer, though.)

Yes, same body on mine. The original pumps, though, were Eheim 1262's as I recall. The PSK1000's were not around back then. There weren't very many GSA Standard 12's made, so you've got a classic (even if it's been modded a little). I think that Dave Lin has one. Dan (from Avast), too. Right now, I don't have elbows on the inside of mine turning the flow and it does fine. However, I've been thinking about adding them just to see what it does with the bubble density and foam quality. (Mine's set up as a recirculating skimmer, though.)

this one i believe actually was dan's! yeah, i haven't seen or heard about too many of these guys. i was curious about the elbows and dan and i talked about that briefly, good to know you're having great performance even without them.

applause_zpsbddbef77.gif

haha, hadn't seen that one in a few years - thanks for following along, sir!