monkiboy's 265g build thread

(edited)

I will rent a jackhammer and help you break the floor to put the drain and trap in. I did it to add a shower in my basement, and it was fun! Even more fun if I dont have to fix it. 8)

haha, man you really do love to break floors!

the jackhammer and know-how i have, it's just location of the drain currently makes it very difficult to work in and i have an expensive floor i'd have to break that took me a long time to lay down that i wouldn't want to tear apart. i'll figure something out.

Edited by monkiboy

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(edited)

my buddy dave of nanoboxreef is doing BIG things. we got to talking about my build and next thing you know we are discussing accent colors for my new fixture, haha.

all of his fixtures nowadays are upgradable to the new coralux storm or storm x controllers. so he's going to hook me up with the storm x and i'm going to see about putting together a review of it and the fixture with photos and video since it's relatively new to the scene.

this will be the largest fixture he built and i got a lot of excitement from dave of the opportunity to build it for me. unbeknownst to him, i might be even more excited to give it a go. i had six d120s and three IT2060s set to go (wasn't sure what i wanted to use given the new apex control options) but found happy homes pretty quickly for the evergrows and just couldn't pass up this opportunity dave offered up.

he had planned to stay a couple days this weekend for install and tinkering but life happened and now we are looking at the end of the month. this actually works better so hopefully i can get some more work done, get my cerameco structures in, and my cycle going before he shows up.

the fixture will be 72" long. it will have multiple banks for dimming to create a true dusk/dawn and sunrise/sunset from one side of the fixture to the other. will have UV, blue, royal blue, cyan, warm whites and neutral whites. the LEDs are Rebel ES and SEMILED for the violets/UV.

the finishing colors are stolen from my monster subaru, shocker green and matte black. this all will be wired up to the coralux storm x controller. it will also have four t5 80w bulbs as well on the front and rear of the fixture on custom brackets with individual reflectors. the housing is a custom-milled 3" wide housing (an inch shorter than the standard 4" he has been using until now).

that's all the details i can recall for now. i'll be sure to post up more as they come available. here are some pictures in the mean time of dave's fine work!

2a9cf715-1b8f-4a44-8c9b-b6a375a9198a_zps

9dfcc89a-5679-4bc4-be36-fc3654eed860_zps

a4b07afe-b4f0-4948-9115-ade6581a9b31_zps

2a80ba5c-d7df-4942-83ca-2dbb1ba68b3c_zps

image_zps958c6763.jpeg

Edited by monkiboy

Wicked! Very exciting things happening every step of the way!

How does everyone know Dave from nanoboxreef and know that I'm doing a DIY LED setup and they don't tell me about him?

Also, no one told me about Bacon Biter's Coralux Storm X until I saw Brad posting it and his nanoboxreef light.  I totally would have done that for my light controller and still may sell my VDM and do that one when I'm allowed to spend money again.

picked up 15 feet of shower pan liner - operation water contain and drain begins!

i love shower pan liner! have put it in my last 2 stands and will be doing it in this new one also....where are you doing this? you dont have a 'sump' underneath...soooo....

(edited)

AlanM, on 13 Aug 2013 - 4:55 PM, said:

How does everyone know Dave from nanoboxreef and know that I'm doing a DIY LED setup and they don't tell me about him?

Also, no one told me about Bacon Biter's Coralux Storm X until I saw Brad posting it and his nanoboxreef light. I totally would have done that for my light controller and still may sell my VDM and do that one when I'm allowed to spend money again.

well if you're building your DIY LED unit, i kind of figure you've reviewed the options and decided you could do better or want something to do as a project. why else would you build your own? he's a swell dude and only recently started using the coralux controller but it's been working really well for him and is much more stable and easy to implement than previous controller solutions.

the coralux definitely looks promising and you're more than welcome to come play with mine and tinker around when i have my light installed end of the month or come down and hang with dave and i that day and ask him whatever questions you may have.

smallreef, on 13 Aug 2013 - 5:40 PM, said:

i love shower pan liner! have put it in my last 2 stands and will be doing it in this new one also....where are you doing this? you dont have a 'sump' underneath...soooo....

going to contain the water in my fish room behind the tank and drain to the floor drain that was supposed to be used for the wet bar sink from previous plans. not using it for the floor rather the perimeter. need to find the appropriate adhesive and sealants to get this right and neat. Edited by monkiboy

I used liquid nails to seal it down to my stand and caulked the edges.....I'm sure you could find a mastic or something since your using alot more and again, caulk the edges...

what's the "best" way to have water flow from my refugium/macro tank to the frag tank below it? both have overflows with two 1" drains.

i was thinking of plumbing one with a spray bar to the surface of the frag tank below it and then the other drain as an emergency submerged just slightly below the frag tank's water line. or take drain 1 and go to loc line and second emergency the same way?

give me ideas and best methods, por favor!

well if you're building your DIY LED unit, i kind of figure you've reviewed the options and decided you could do better or want something to do as a project. why else would you build your own? he's a swell dude and only recently started using the coralux controller but it's been working really well for him and is much more stable and easy to implement than previous controller solutions.

the coralux definitely looks promising and you're more than welcome to come play with mine and tinker around when i have my light installed end of the month or come down and hang with dave and i that day and ask him whatever questions you may have.

Thanks. I did it for the experience of diy partially, but also because I wanted things that I didnt think commercial lights had. I hadnt heard that anyone was doing custom lights like he does as a going concern. His stuff is really nice looking and I like his rectangular "pucks" of emitters.

just realized that anything other than black is not going to work for my background.

the dow 795 is black. my external overflow is taller by about eight inches than my internal overflow there those eight inches of black seam are going to show through, unfortunately.

i could do a frosted with black and grey accents like i just had planned until recently and try to fade the hard black seam lines into the background as shadows but it will drive me nuts.

those black hard seam lines just won't look right looking at the tank from the front.

so...black i guess it is unless i do something on the inside of the tank like with kydex sheets but the two braces up top make that kind of unlikely as the union gap between the pieces inside wouldn't look right either.

so i'm just going to use black and grey light coats and see what i can come up with for creating depth with a light from above.

Bummer man. I'm not 100% sure what you're looking for, but I would suggest not rulling out glass tint, I think you might be able to create something close to what you're looking for. I have a good friend in Richmond that owns a couple of stores, who is always eager to work on intersting projects like this. I can always reach out to him if you would like to consider that route.

Bummer man. I'm not 100% sure what you're looking for, but I would suggest not rulling out glass tint, I think you might be able to create something close to what you're looking for. I have a good friend in Richmond that owns a couple of stores, who is always eager to work on intersting projects like this. I can always reach out to him if you would like to consider that route.

thank you, sir. so you would suggest "black out" tint i guess? i looked at the frosted black or grey window films/tint and could see i was going to have have light come through the back and even tried spraying on top of the films for added opacity but no dice. when the lights are on behind the tank, it breaks through very easily.

probably going to go with black out tint instead of painting, i think.

got an updated shot of my LED housing. so svelte and sexy.

e2efea3b-3429-4f4e-ae3e-4bfa9ceea024_zps

was contemplating change the color scheme by clearing the raw unfinished metal and going to black accents instead. i really like the look. or maybe stick with my original idea.

decided to go ahead and skip the previous color scheme and instead go with something a bit more industrial and went with the unfinished metal with the clear matte powdercoat on then black accents and endcaps and kevlar sheathing instead of the shocker green! this is going to be awesome!

dan from avast sent me an updated photo of my new skimmer being built. i shipped two diablo DC5500s to him for fitting up to the skimmer body. looking good so far, and a skimming monster, too! will have a swabbie installed, as well!

95d4c6ba-3987-4be1-aa83-6b87c7aefeca_zps

(edited)

ordered up two diablo dc10500s this morning and already shipped! couldn't find them anywhere in stock then my luck turned around and mine are scheduled for arrival monday - let's get some plumbing done!

QTY Product Shipped Date

(2) "Diablo DC 10500 Variable Speed Water Pump" 21-Aug-2013

OC9229-2T.jpg?1371721845

OC9229-6T.jpg?1371721845

Edited by monkiboy

ordered up two diablo dc10500s this morning and already shipped! couldn't find them anywhere in stock then my luck turned around and mine are scheduled for arrival monday - let's get some plumbing done!QTY Product Shipped Date(2) "Diablo DC 10500 Variable Speed Water Pump" 21-Aug-2013OC9229-2T.jpg?1371721845OC9229-6T.jpg?1371721845

Oh Yeah!!!!!!