monkiboy's 265g build thread

Picture links are broken!

Looking forward to watching you plumb this thing. Seems like just yesterday you wee taking your stair railing apart to get it down the stairs!

anyone else having issues with the pictures? they show up fine for me.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

anyone else having issues with the pictures? they show up fine for me.

86 that, they are showing up fine now... before they were popping up as a _ZPS with a long mix and match of letters and numbers before it. Probably my end. My apologies.

86 that, they are showing up fine now... before they were popping up as a _ZPS with a long mix and match of letters and numbers before it. Probably my end. My apologies.

awesome - glad they are working and thanks for the support! i'm getting excited to her wet!

decided to paint the back of the tank. i used plasti-dip for ease of removal.

20130807_173043_zps2c5552c8.jpg

the one pup was no help...

IMG_20130807_112855_zpsf5a5db65.jpg

i really didn't like how it looked. it was uneven, black was just so...black. i need a different shade/color/idea/something. so off it went...

thankfully plasti-dip comes off much easier than it goes on. pulled it all off in less than a minute, haha.

20130807_200308_zps79337390.jpg

thinking of going with a charcoal or grey/smoke vinyl or something along those lines...any ideas? maybe instead get some thin kydex sheets and silicone to back of tank? or inside of tank standing in place? with the textured side to the front?

need ideas - help por favor!

yeah...maybe. having the external overflow makes that a bit tougher though! i really like the depth it provides.

For different color plasti dips check this out:

https://www.dipyourcar.com/

For vinyl:

http://www.metrorestyling.com/

i'm done wih plasti-dip. funny you linked me to metro for vinyl, my car buddy owns that place!

Personally I like the look of tint on a big tank....gives it a little color without completely cutting off the tank...and keeps the depth without being able to see everything behind it....

If not paint it blue! (I always like blue and the last 5 tanks I have had had blue backgrounds when I set them up,lol)

Redguard it!

If you go blue, I think a darker WAMAS-menu-bar blue would look nice rather than the caribbean sea blue that seems to prevail on tank backs. Your internal overflow is black, right?

Also, if you paint, I would wipe it down good with ethanol first to make sure any petro-residue from the plastidip is gone or else the paint might not want to wet the surface well.

I'm with Kim on this one, I love the look of a tinted back glass.

I think blue or light blue looks good.

thanks for the vote!

Sidenote: NEVER spray plasti dip inside.  Some nasty chemicals...

yeah, don't i know it. had a killer headache that day...

Personally I like the look of tint on a big tank....gives it a little color without completely cutting off the tank...and keeps the depth without being able to see everything behind it....

If not paint it blue! (I always like blue and the last 5 tanks I have had had blue backgrounds when I set them up,lol)

what % and what color? some folks has recommended limo (5%) but the sample i got still let too much light in from the fish room behind the 265 and was very distracting.  blue is definitely a contender.

Redguard it!

If you go blue, I think a darker WAMAS-menu-bar blue would look nice rather than the caribbean sea blue that seems to prevail on tank backs. Your internal overflow is black, right?

Also, if you paint, I would wipe it down good with ethanol first to make sure any petro-residue from the plastidip is gone or else the paint might not want to wet the surface well.

yeah, i was thinking a blue-grey, darker blue. yes my internal overflow is black.

yes, definitely a proper wipe down prior to whatever i do, thanks!

I'm with Kim on this one, I love the look of a tinted back glass.

thanks - i'll figure this one out shortly, im sure...

(edited)

finally found a swell deal on a frag tank for the fish room. new to me frag tank -

photo2_zps932782aa.jpg

old macro and live rock tank set up in fish room:

20130810_135028_zps32490a85.jpg

out it goes for cleaning and breaking down the old stand:

20130810_142400_zpsbc5e711a.jpg

all out:

20130810_144402_zps7b799919.jpg

new stand construction for frag tank and macro/live rock tanks:

20130810_155305_zps953fad03.jpg

20130810_155312_zpse33b7719.jpg

20130810_160651_zps50fcfc8b.jpg

20130810_163450_zpsc35db037.jpg

c'est fini:

20130810_223415_zpsc464e8d9.jpg

tomorrow i'll redgard it up, drill some holes for the overflow drains, get it plumbed in hopes the existing bulkheads aren't leaking and won't require replacement and get this system flowing in anticipating of plumbing of the 265 in very soon (but won't be integrating the 265 until it is completely cycled).

Edited by monkiboy

Keep it coming. That frag tank would look better in my house. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

(edited)

waiting to figure out the backing of this thing so i can do plumbing. thinking of something like this:

abstract-blue-gradient_zps77ae152b.jpg

OR

blueblackgradientalt1_zps246c7e1a.jpg

inspiration at the moment:

Aquarium-Wallpaper-124_zps5ab2f479.jpg

Edited by monkiboy

Hey Monkiboy, awesome build so far.. you have me wanting to change my aquarium background now ... that shadow box thread that was posted earlier looks really cool..

is that the genesis auto water change system you have there?? how do you like it?

Hey Monkiboy, awesome build so far.. you have me wanting to change my aquarium background now ... that shadow box thread that was posted earlier looks really cool..

is that the genesis auto water change system you have there?? how do you like it?

thank you, sir. yes, it's the genesis reef system renew and storm pro system. it's incredible and invaluable in this hobby as a way to make the most annoying tasks effortless in a reliable, safe, and comprehensive system. read more from previously in my thread (http://wamas.org/forums/topic/56430-monkiboys-265g-build-thread/?p=484025).

Background #1  :clap:

thanks for the input, haywood.

I really like the first one also...how would you get the shading to it? Paint with a paintbrush? Or order a pc of vinyl with that printed on it?

nice. it's a high resolution image so just print to size and attach. figuring out if friends of mine (vinyl and window tint shop) are up to it.

looking to waterproof/contain the mini fish room area. probably going to take some shower liner to the edge of the room, glue down and seal.

i had a bar sink in the plans prior to the 265 moving in that i was hoping to make a floor drain now but without a trap i'd need to install one below and break the floor but there just isn't the room for it as it's in the corner of my stand and i dont want to break the floor either. figuring out what is the best way to make use of it.

looking to waterproof/contain the mini fish room area. probably going to take some shower liner to the edge of the room, glue down and seal.i had a bar sink in the plans prior to the 265 moving in that i was hoping to make a floor drain now but without a trap i'd need to install one below and break the floor but there just isn't the room for it as it's in the corner of my stand and i dont want to break the floor either. figuring out what is the best way to make use of it.

I will rent a jackhammer and help you break the floor to put the drain and trap in. I did it to add a shower in my basement, and it was fun! Even more fun if I dont have to fix it. 8)