monkiboy's 265g build thread

Wow, it's really awesome looking.  I kind of can't wait to see it in the tank with water and lights. I have to say, it looks way better than what is on their website.

Edited by AlanM

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(edited)

looks so much better and will work better this way. removed the stand completely, installed a full PVC sheet on side and behind stand. then rebuilt stand and installed new leg on mid section right to allow for bulkhead tightening of the emergency drain on the frag tank.

20130829_234320_zps13b8a8df.jpg

20130829_234315_zps3903bdd5.jpg

Edited by monkiboy

That ceramco rock is nice!  I tried multiple times to get them to actually return a phone call with a quote and gave up.  Sounds like they've improved their customer service.  

Are there more than one of those LED strips?  How wide is it?  Are you concerned about full coverage front to back?  Can't wait to see this tank stocked. 

He mentioned getting the T5 parts ready so it sounds like he's going to have a combination of lighting.

Wow, it's really awesome looking.  I kind of can't wait to see it in the tank with water and lights. I have to say, it looks way better than what is on their website.

I'm absolutely jealous!that ceramco work looks amazing..

Looks awesome!!

So freakin cool!

Great work...and such a great product...

Outstanding!

thanks a ton guys - those last photos really amped me up for this build and dave coming down this weekend will really be exciting, too! IT'S COMING TOGETHER!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!

That ceramco rock is nice!  I tried multiple times to get them to actually return a phone call with a quote and gave up.  Sounds like they've improved their customer service.  

not really, actually. i'll post up a review of my experience here shortly after i receive all my pieces, deal is complete, etc for those interested in trying them out. but suffice it to say, i completely understand your and other's reviews/experiences about cerameco and i got some helpful hints.

Are there more than one of those LED strips?  How wide is it?  Are you concerned about full coverage front to back?  Can't wait to see this tank stocked. 

He mentioned getting the T5 parts ready so it sounds like he's going to have a combination of lighting.

so there's 12 LED modules and 12 individual pucks attached to the heatsink. i was the test mule for his new even more narrow 3" housing. i posted comparison photos earlier in my thread of his 4" housing and the new 3" housing side to side, for comparison purposes if you're interested. it's going to be incredibly sleek and sexy, that's for certain!

i am not concerned about full coverage front to back. dave knows my goals well enough for an SPS dominant tank and know me well enough to know things always have to be delivered above standard so i'm sure it'll rock the tank - it better, haha.

the t5 lighting which will be a 60" on front and one on back is purely aesthetic and accent lighting. i wanted to allow the LED fixture to do what it was designed to do on it's own the t5s controlled separately will be there for the extra pop, sunset/sunrise, moon glow, who knows yet really. just like the idea of versatility and another option to tinker with to get things just the way i want them, i guess.

I was thinking of gong with pacific sun for my lights, but the more you post the more I'm thinking of going with nanobox

Edited by Mattiejay6

I believe on Dave's squares he uses 4 warm white, 2 blue, 4 royal blue, and one cyan.  All Rebel ES wired on 2 channels.  That gives him a full spectrum of colors with the fewest number of emitters and hits most of the photosynthesis peaks.  He says it look awesome, and I believe him.  He doesn't do violets, so I bet Marco is going to add a very actinic one like a purple plus.  I think I remember Copps saying he uses VHO actinics instead of T5HO at one meeting because it just works better.

Edited by AlanM

wow...that thing is a beast...make sure and post pics as yall are testing it...maybe a video?

i will definitely have photos but video i will surely try. maybe at least when testing to show you all the cool features!

Looks good.  I would include a purple plus as one of the two T5's.  It's been said it supplements LED's really well.  Cool stuff.

ok, thanks for the feedback. i have two blue plus now and will give them a go but might order the purple plus per your recommendation since reefgeek is having a sweet labor day sale.

I was thinking of gong with pacific sun for my lights, but the more you post the more I'm thinking of going with nanobox

definitely check out what dave has to offer! shoot him an email (davefason@gmail.com) and just chat about options. he's a really creative guy and loves making new interesting pieces that perform very well. he's open to all kinds of designs, retrofits, etc. check out his flckr page and facebook for more neat photos, too!

I believe on Dave's squares he uses 4 warm white, 2 blue, 4 royal blue, and one cyan.  All Rebel ES wired on 2 channels.  That gives him a full spectrum of colors with the fewest number of emitters and hits most of the photosynthesis peaks.  He says it look awesome, and I believe him.  He doesn't do violets, so I bet Marco is going to add a very actinic one like a purple plus.  I think I remember Copps saying he uses VHO actinics instead of T5HO at one meeting because it just works better.

i'm not 100% on those details but i've invited dave to come on and chat on my build thread about the details since there seems to be so much interest and i dont really know the nitty gritty ;) hopefully he'll be on here soon and be able to field more queries and explain his design and implementation better than i can.

thanks for the support - i cannot wait!

working late tonight but got to the redgard of the area above the tank. removed another 18" or so of drywall to completely expose that area so that the light can be mounted to the ceiling on the retracable mechanisms. so it'll retract all the way up to the top during maintenance, working on the tank, etc giving me over 24" of room and then i can lower to where i want and it'll hold it in place.

then installed a vapor barrier and used some extra trim i had laying around to hold securely in place. this will protect above against humidity and moisture and evaporation.

20130830_174713_zpsac57549f.jpg

Can I just say what an influence you are on may tank build...I showed my husband that ceramco rock and he LOVES it....

So now I'm ordering 2 smaller pieces possibly for my build,lol

I'm not sure if your a good influence or bad...definitely bad for my budget!

expose that area so that the light can be mounted to the ceiling on the retracable mechanisms. so it'll retract all the way up to the top during maintenance, working on the tank, etc giving me over 24" of room and then i can lower to where i want and it'll hold it in place.

This is a stellar idea. I bought what was left of those and planned on using them for my hood, so the lights would hang in place, but the hood would come up.

And +1 to Kim. Your diligence and zealousness has, and will continue to pay off!