Storm To Hit On 3/5/-3/6

Squishie89

I just wanted to wish everyone good luck with the storm. Fingers crossed none of you have any long power outtages. If you don't already, get yourself a couple of battery operated air pumps as these could save your fish/corals lives.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those air pumps are a must have and they have saved my tanks many times. They are low cost for the safety they provide.

I plan to get the generator and snow blower fired up today as both have not been started in awhile.

GET SOME CARB CLEANER AND STARTER FLUID if your small motors have been sitting a while...Ethanol is HORRIBLE...had to throw a carb away recently because a 5day bath and parts cleaner couldnt get the gunk off....

also before you let things sit add some stabil or seafoam and then run the motor out of gas before storage....

oh yeah and please come and clear my driveway before you do this.

I buy the battery operated air bed pumps and attach a hose to the end. They work great last for a long time and batteries are in abundance. I turn them on every hour for about 10 minutes and leave them on over night.

Gas for the generators if you have them.

I'm heading out this a.m. for gas and an 'as yet unknown' project to keep me busy - probably something for the model railroad in the basement (if we have power) or puzzle books (if we lose power.)

I just bought a 3000 watt generator at Lowes for $329. Considering how much we spend on a reef setup, it is well worth the insurance. With LED requiring less wattage, 3000 would be enought for my reefs, space heater and TV/DVD.

Oh, lived here for 20 years and we have never been out of power for more than 12 hrs, thanks to undergound utils.

But I have found that 3 hrs with out a heater, during winter, in my reef can make a big difference in tank temp.

(edited)

I have a 975va Battery Backup running my Apex(if only for short time), a 1350va running a single Vortech MP10, and on my nano I have a 825va running my Reef Octopus nano skimmer that takes 5w to run. I also have 2 Battery powered air pumps if those fail.

http://www.walmart.c...r-Pump/16326902 is the pump that Walmart Sells in their Fishing section. They take D batteries and run for 52 hours. Works great.

Edited by Tracy G

Thanks to my LOVELY Wife :wub: ......I think I'm ready!

That looks great. I'd consider that if we wouldn't also have to get a big tank of propane installed. It's like the give a mouse a cookie book. If we got the generator, we're going to want some propane, if we get the propane we're going to want to switch to a propane furnace..

The generator is fueled and tested. Plenty of wood for the stove. Let it snow!!!!!!

got TP water and milk We are ready lol

no generator but batteries for 2 air stones

anyone taking bets on snow accumulation? I say less than 4" for $20.

Careful... you may want to be more specific. I'll bet that we have some folks west of the Blue Ridge here that would take you up on that.

Careful... you may want to be more specific. I'll bet that we have some folks west of the Blue Ridge here that would take you up on that.

shhhhh, you ruined it!

(edited)

anyone taking bets on snow accumulation? I say less than 4" for $20.

You always take the 50-1 shot? Pays well if you win :) I'll take your bet, Less than 4" at your place. My bet is 10" in Leesburg at my place.

I'm not as prepared as I have been in the past, just several UPS's.

Edited by Piper

Sure enough :) Flurries in NE Leesburg here. Early. Not sure if that's good or bad. Weather.com said it wasn't supposed to start until 2AM.