Two tanks, One room

YHSublime

Just means you're not following my adventure fast enough!

So this is Ruperts new house. I still have to paint around on the top board, but the front has a magnetic painted black piece of plywood. It looks good enough for now, I guess. I'm not thrilled about it. Below is a video of him being weird, and also below into my sump, with my not yet rigged up dosers, and random controllers I need mounted on the side.

Hahaha yeah it is kinda hard to keep up with you sometimes. However, all your updates make for a fun catch-up on the weekends for me!  :clap:

Great job getting the mantis display tank fully operational as well. Should make displaying and enjoying his awesomness much easier! And I also dig the color-filtered shots you took - I haven't really used color filters much ... but maybe I have a reason to try out some new camera equipment now  :tongue:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, what new direction are you taking this?

Stick around and you'll find out! It will be a whole new world!

Macro Foolin'

DSC_0479_zps588a94a1.jpg

DSC_0480_zpsb6c70b19.jpg

DSC_0055_zpsf7c016f2.jpg

DSC_0077_zpsfe584f29.jpg

DSC_0085_zpsb8e57ce7.jpg

DSC_0086_zps263e8ccf.jpg

DSC_0094_zps729611cf.jpg

DSC_0095_zpseb796d09.jpg

DSC_0096_zps7db1a437.jpg

DSC_0098_zpsebef86c9.jpg

Very nice

Very pretty pictures Isaac!

Very nice pics...I need lessons!

Thanks all! Loni, my advice is just practice. I spend a lot of time fooling around with the camera, and borrowing nice lens's from friends. Like anything, practice makes perfect, that and I'm only sharing 10 good (if even that) shots out of about 300.

Here are some more:

DSC_0431_zps380f44a1.jpg

DSC_0432_zps951eccdf.jpg

DSC_0433_zps7026b3aa.jpg

DSC_0447_zpsf172abd9.jpg

DSC_0448_zpsd8c8eb4e.jpg

DSC_0456_zps80a146c7.jpg

DSC_0461_zps0879ccda.jpg

[/url]

DSC_0464_zps5044cb0c.jpg

LOVING your tank my friend

Thanks, Jenn! Lots of ups and downs, now it's just play time, and trying to work on my coral hoarding issue.

Thanks, Jenn! Lots of ups and downs, now it's just play time, and trying to work on my coral hoarding issue.

And by that you mean acquire more coral, right? 

And by that you mean acquire more coral, right? 

I'm using epoxy to glue onto the back wall of the tank. So obvi, I've gotta fill that up.

Awesome pics!

healthy

Thanks guys!

That is great.  Do you shoot through the glass or through a lookdown or a little of both or what?  also, did you post up lens stats at some point?  I think I recall that you have a Nikon D40?

Very nice pictures, everything is looking good.

Thanks very much!

Those pictures are awesome?  Is the exquisite still around, or has he jumped and killed himself yet?

Thanks, Scott. Ol' crazy eyes is very much alive and well. The pop eye is slowly going down, and he's yet to make a jump since. He comes out frequently, and is often darting about the tank, so I think like with most fish, time was the answer. If I'm ever unsure of his whereabouts, I feed the tank, and BAM, front and center.

That is great.  Do you shoot through the glass or through a lookdown or a little of both or what?  also, did you post up lens stats at some point?  I think I recall that you have a Nikon D40?

Thanks, Alan. So I do a mix of both. I switch up my lenses as well, depending on what I'm shooting. Those last pictures were through the glass, and from a 105mm lens I borrowed from a very kind WAMAS member. I am still playing around with it, but I usually use a 60mm macro. I use a D-90, shoot in RAW, and have adjusted my white balance. A lot seems to be intuition, and practice, so it's hard to tell people what I'm doing when I barely know myself. I also try to under under expose, so you'll notice a lot of my pictures are darker.

The Foxface is proving to be one of my favorite fish to shoot, I always notice something different about him with every photograph. These past series brought to light the blue inside of it's perfectly symmetrical spikes.

Is the 60mm macro yours? Is it a Nikon or Tamron, Sigma, etc? I'd love to borrow it for a week or 2 if you can spare....(read, possible no two tanks, one room updates :ohmy: ). Thinking about a macro (wife wants to shoot flowers, haha) and leaning towards the 60 vs the 100 or 105....

Is the 60mm macro yours? Is it a Nikon or Tamron, Sigma, etc? I'd love to borrow it for a week or 2 if you can spare....(read, possible no two tanks, one room updates :ohmy: ). Thinking about a macro (wife wants to shoot flowers, haha) and leaning towards the 60 vs the 100 or 105....

I would, but neither are mine. Tamron. I like it, it's on my list of toys to buy.

I hear the Tamron 90mm's are nice, but I've enjoyed the 60 for my needs. The 105 took some great shots (see above) but I'm still tinkering with it, and took a LOT of photos to get those.

Good to hear about crazy eyes.  And I don't think time was going to help in my tank since he knew the quick route out, but very happy to hear he has finally decided to settle into your tank.

I would, but neither are mine. Tamron. I like it, it's on my list of toys to buy.

I hear the Tamron 90mm's are nice, but I've enjoyed the 60 for my needs. The 105 took some great shots (see above) but I'm still tinkering with it, and took a LOT of photos to get those.

Ah, okay.

Are you able to shoot the 60 w/o a tripod? I would imagine it would be very difficult w/ the 105.

Great shots! Some of my favs so far:

• both of the clownfish photos are lovely (the 'nem makes for a great background)
  • I also particularly like the red and white acan (or I think that is what it is - forgive my poor coral identification skills)
  • the wavy GSP shot, with the high contrast and dark shadowed valleys looks really beautiful and mysterious ... very nice!

Thanks for sharing!

Ah, okay.

Are you able to shoot the 60 w/o a tripod? I would imagine it would be very difficult w/ the 105.

I can't comment on what the 60 is like to use, but the 105mm has been one of my most used lenses for the last 7 years or so (since I bought one) so I can give a bit of feedback on tripodless shots...

In brief, it is absolutely  possible to handhold macro shots with the 105. The VR helps but most of it is technique and practice. The most consistent way I have found is:

1. Put the lens in manual focus, and dial the lens to about 1:1 (the minimum focusing distance - assuming you want a 1:1 macro, otherwise adjust as needed
  2. Smash the camera nice and flat to your face, and tuck your elbows into your sides (the standard posture for minimizing camera shake)
  3. Try to ensure your shutter speed is 1/160 or faster (1/125 can work, but it is even harder)
  4. Set your aperture to between f/8 to f/16
  5. Now slowly lean forwards and backwards waiting for the moment your subject comes into sharp focus; when it does fire away!

This method works for me as I find it much easier to tilt myself forwards/backwards than to fiddle with the focus. However, having a tripod of course makes things much, much easier. Also, the AF works nicely in this lens, and you can even AF down to a 1:1 macro shot .... however, it is also quite dependent on having good lighting and a detailed subject, so for dedicated macro work MF is the most consistent.

FWIW, the photos in my thread are almost all with the 105mm, and the only thing I used the tripod for was the short movie of the hairworm.

Edited by Kallor