Steve Outlaw is not the only one now!!!

overklok

Coughing up blood and almost paralyzed! It sounds like that guy had it worse then Steve.

I think it was dschflier that had an incident a year or so ago that brought the CDC out to his house to take samples from his Palys.

^wow. Did anything come of that? I could easily see a knee-jerk reaction attempting to do something like banning or restricting them.

I don't want to be a member of that club either...

Chad, I don't know what exactly came out from the visit. His event wasn't from boiling them, he was breaking his tank down and was removing zoas and palys to sell. Shortly after selling the corals he got flu like symptoms, weak and body aches, his hands became almost un-usable.

I've done this. Almost in the same manner, though I didn't use hot water. I used cold water and was punished, within 2 hours, with flu-like symptoms (fever, convulsing-chills, muscle aching, and low blood pressure). Others here, including, Jan were exposed, too. The last time that I handled these palys, I wore an organic (insecticide) respirator, shoulder-length gloves, and an eye shield and suffered no symptoms afterward.

(edited)

Wow! Definitely don't want that to happen to me whenever I get corals.

Sorry for the newbie question, but does this apply to all zoas and palys?

Learned something new today, so thanks :)

I will definitely be investing in protective equipment later. Not sticking my hand in the tank anymore.

Edited by .OptimusPrime.

^No it does not. Zoanthiids and Palythoas have a varying degree of the palytoxin in them depending upon the specific variety. Some are worse than others and some don't have any at all. As noted in the article on SteveOutlaw http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/2011/04/05/world%E2%80%99s-2nd-deadliest-poison-in-an-aquarium-store-near-you/, the local variety is especially high in the toxin.

Best to be conservative if you do not know what you have.

It is also OK to stick your hand in your aquarium... the palytoxin is inside the animals. Only a concern if you are handling them, but especially a concern if you are intentionally damaging them (fragging, removing, etc.).

irreversible blindness at topically applied levels of approximately 400 ng/kg, despite extensive rinsing after ocular instillation.

I definately need to wear those safety googles more then I do.

Coughing up blood and almost paralyzed! It sounds like that guy had it worse then Steve.

I think it was dschflier that had an incident a year or so ago that brought the CDC out to his house to take samples from his Palys.

Yep, he got it worse than me......but he breathed it in for 1/2 hour......I only had one inhale of the stuff. I had the couging up of blood and collapsed lungs, but luckily I didn't get to the point of paralysis!! Not sure about dschflier, but the CDC came out and tested the Palys in my tank soon after my incident to confirm that they in fact contained Palytoxin, and that it could be aerosolized. They had mentioned trying to pursue regulating them but I don't think anything ever came of it.

Bottom line, the CDC told my that ALL zoantids and palythoas contain toxin that can make you very sick. However, only certain palythoas contain the palytoxin.

Yep, he got it worse than me......but he breathed it in for 1/2 hour......I only had one inhale of the stuff. I had the couging up of blood and collapsed lungs, but luckily I didn't get to the point of paralysis!! Not sure about dschflier, but the CDC came out and tested the Palys in my tank soon after my incident to confirm that they in fact contained Palytoxin, and that it could be aerosolized. They had mentioned trying to pursue regulating them but I don't think anything ever came of it.

Bottom line, the CDC told my that ALL zoantids and palythoas contain toxin that can make you very sick. However, only certain palythoas contain the palytoxin.

and yet how many folks on RC didn't believe what happened to you? maybe with more incidents those folks will finally believe?

and yet how many folks on RC didn't believe what happened to you? maybe with more incidents those folks will finally believe?

Actually it got so bad with people sending me nasty messages on RC that I had to change my username. A lot of people didn't want to believe that it happened and were accusing me of trying to get stuff regulated. I mean, I got some really nasty messages and all the RC folks said was "we don't interfere in personal disputes". Gotta love trying to help people out!!

Actually it got so bad with people sending me nasty messages on RC that I had to change my username. A lot of people didn't want to believe that it happened and were accusing me of trying to get stuff regulated. I mean, I got some really nasty messages and all the RC folks said was "we don't interfere in personal disputes". Gotta love trying to help people out!!

Part of the reason I'm glad I posted here about my experience.

I will say, I won't be going anywhere near those corals again without gloves. I learned my lesson.. twice.. and I do not wish that upon anyone. Not as bad as you, thankfully.

• 4 months later...

I seem to recall a picture of the plays being posted somewhere, anyone know where it is? I have some plays to remove and wondering if I should get the hazmat suit...

I pick up palys and handle them on a somewhat regular basis. I make sure there are no open wounds on my hands and I usually do all fragging underwater, then rinse my hands thoroughly underwater when I am done. I've had no ill effects yet.

Are the ones people are talking about a drab green to pale brown? It's hard to tell the colors from the pictures, but they look like some I have a batch of in my tank which originally I got from Jason.

Are the ones people are talking about a drab green to pale brown? It's hard to tell the colors from the pictures, but they look like some I have a batch of in my tank which originally I got from Jason.

The ones I had were kind of a dull brown with a short stalk. They were sort of gray-dull, meaning it was a really muted brown. Really non-descript. I wouldn't call them green at all. Not even a tinge. Thin, flat oral disk that, in colonies, overlapped with each other so that you could not see their matted stalks. At full size, each oral disk was 3/8 to 1/2 inch across, I'd say.

The second one down on this page is the closest picture I could come up with of the ones I was fighting:

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50977&title=palys-palys-and-more-palyspics-addded

Mine came from rock that I got from dhoch when I bought his tank.

The ones I had were kind of a dull brown with a short stalk. They were sort of gray-dull, meaning it was a really muted brown. Really non-descript. I wouldn't call them green at all. Not even a tinge. Thin, flat oral disk that, in colonies, overlapped with each other so that you could not see their matted stalks. At full size, each oral disk was 3/8 to 1/2 inch across, I'd say.

The second one down on this page is the closest picture I could come up with of the ones I was fighting:

http://www.utahreefs...alyspics-addded

My daughter calls them Stink Bug Palys.

http://www.utahreefs...alyspics-addded

Okay, Just to clarify. Only the 2nd pic right? the other 2 are standard button paly that are not toxic?

Here is the article with the pics of the one from my tank. They're ugly and they're mean!!

http://blogs.discove...store-near-you/

Man, they are absolutely ugly. Not that attractive either. I always thought the more colorful ones are the one you stay away from!

What's really scary is that most doctors know nothing about this or other marine related illnesses. It's like playing with poison darts when handling these without protection. If you're not aware of what they can do and you land in the ER chances of anyone knowing how to get to the root of your issues are slim. they'll treat according to signs and symptoms, but they may not ever figure out why. These corals should be sold with instructions on proper handling or something.

There was a person that sold all kinds of inverts and corals on craigslist a few years ago. He was always posting for sale. Then I didn't hear from him for a long time, maybe 6 months. I emailed him. He ended up in the hospital from fragging zoanthids. He stopped handling and selling corals because he was very very sick. It really scared him.