Ryan's 150g Marineland Deep Dimension!

Ryan S

I got some work done on the tank today. I installed my new GFCI adapter. I hooked up the Custom 15 Watt UV Sterilizer I got from American Aquarium Products. I also got the Apex hooked up (but not programmed yet). Finally, I got both BRS dosing pumps hooked up (1 for Alk, 1 for Cal), but I won't turn those on for a while, maybe a month or so?

Tomorrow I plan on installing some foam padding around the inside of the stand to try and absorb some of the sound coming from the equipment. I got a roll of egg crate foam padding from wal-mart that's made for a twin size bed for $10. Not sure if it will work, but I figure for $10, why not try and find out! I'll cut it in squares and use double-sided square-shaped sticky tape in each of the corners.

Edited by Ryan S

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got some great square foam padding from homedepot...they fit like puzzle pieces too..water resistant.

It was near the tile section.

i will have to check that out. i went earlier and they said they didn't have anything. i'll go check the tile section myself!

while my stand isn't loud, it could always be a little quieter, so hopefully the foam helps!

The tank is 100% complete! I must say too, the $10 twin foam mattress pad from walmart really works! It was easy to cut up and install. I put it 2 layers thick on the 2 side panels and the 2 front doors, and you can't hear anything from the stand anymore! If you have a stand you want to quiet, I highly recommend it! Here is a screenshot!

gallery_2631706_3_467290.jpg

Finally, I ran some tests tonight.

Ammonia 0 ppm;

Nitrite 2.0 ppm;

Nitrate 0.0 ppm;

Phosphate 0.0ppm.

Does this mean I am in the middle of the cycle, or am I complete? I have some green algae growing on the rocks (God I hope it's not the start of some hair algae!)

Final Equipment List:

150 Gallon Marineland Deep Dimension Tank w/ Stand & Canopy & 9" Riser

20 Gallon Long Sump w/ 3 Baffles

Vortech MP40w

2 Radion XR30w

2 12k Current USA TrueLumen LED Lunar Lights

Neptune Apex Aquacontroller w/ 2 EB8's

160# Pink Samoa #0 Nature's Ocean Sand

45# BRS Dry Pukani Rock

Danner Mag 9.5 Return Pump

3/4" George Fisher Wye Check Valve

300 Watt Finnex Heater with Remote Probe

2 BRS Dosing Pumps (Calcium & Alkalinity)

American Aquarium Custom 15 Watt UV Sterilizer

2 Avast MR5 Reactors (Carbon & GFO)

Avast CS1 Recirculating Skimmer

Avast Davy Jones Skimmate Locker

2 Avast Magnetic Holders

15 Amp GFCI 5 Outlet Adapter

Titanium Grounding Probe

Edited by Ryan S

You're in the middle with Nitrites that high. And I'm sure you'll get some hair algae sooner or later. It seems I've always gone through a "cycle" that takes months to get over. The initial biological cycle is usually over in weeks, but the algae cycles seem to last much longer. It just wouldn't seem right if I didn't have a short bout with hair alage :)

Edited by CaptainRon

^lol. I agree :) In fact, I use the first appearance of green hair algae as my cue for adding CUC and an herbivore.

Just like Chad said, wait for the algae to show up so they have something to eat. And wait for those nitrites to zero out too.

You may not as much of an algae break out bc of the LEDs. I thought they promote less nuisance algae. When I started my new tank, initially with ecoxotic LEDs I never had an algae out break at all.. I did use my old sand and cured dry rock, but I never saw anything. As for the CUC, I would wait a while longer as well.. If you add a bunch, especially hermits, they will get hungry and eat the snails etc. I also dont think you need a really large amount. I think the numbers often givin online are inaccurate.

^that's a good point. Although green algae is mostly encouraged by portions of the red spectrum, which the radions have... I am interested to see what happens here, as I have no idea!

is the back of the stand open or closed? just noticed that it doesnt look like there are any openings in the stand....you may want to get a hole and put a fan in and maybe a few slits for an intake...can get very humid under tehre if not and electronics tend to not like that...just a thought.

dont think you will need to dose for a long time. when your corals start demanding more then what your water changes replenish...

again looking good.

The back is open, and there are 2 2" strips on the roof of the canopy as well. I covered everything with some 1/2" black mesh so jumpers can't escape, but it lets air in and out. I could still add a fan if you think that would still be needed? I have no clue if it gets humid in the canopy, is there a way to tell?

In this photo, where would you mount a couple montipora frags?

gallery_2631706_3_132264.jpg

I was thinking on the big rock at the back right, I could attach a couple different colors sticking out on the sides? And also maybe 1 or 2 on the side of the higher rock on the left side? Or would you mount them on top of those rocks laying flat?

Edited by Ryan S

Just remeber to gove yourself space for them to grow out, and that includes the encrusting portions of the coral. I see it way to often that people jam frags next to one another with minimal growing room. I know with smaller frags it looks better when there grouped bc there small, but as you well know, this hobby is so much about patience.

This is not every fish I plan on getting, just all the ones I like at the moment, before being narrowed down. And the prices are just the cheapest I could find on the internet, so more of an estimate than anything. What do you all think of this list? (Which tangs could be okay together - which couldn't? Which anthias school would you choose, or which 2 of the 3 would you choose? Which of the wrasses would you choose, etc etc)

2 Cleaner Skunk Shrimp - $18.99 each

2 Fire Shrimp - $24.99 each

2 Peppermint Shrimp - $3.99 each

1 Male Disbar Anthias - $31.99

4 Female Disbar Anthias - $26.39 each

1 Male Bartlett Anthias - $49.95

4 Female Bartlett Anthias - $39.95 each

1 Male Lyretail Anthias - $21.99

4 Female Lyretail Anthias - $17.99 each

5 Spotted Cardinalfish - $8.99 each

5 Benggai Cardinal - $14.99 each

2 Ocellaris Clownfish - $11.99 each

1 Bellus Angelfish, Female - $78.20

1 Midas Blenny - $19.99

1 Sailfin Blenny - $8.99

1 Yellow Watchman Goby - $11.99

1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp - $19.95

1 Blue Hippo Tang - $19.99

1 Desjardini Sailfin Tang - $29.99

1 Yellow Tang - $29.99

1 Powder Blue Tang - $44.99

1 Naso Tang - $29.99

1 Yellow Eye Kole Tang - $29.99

1 McCosker's Flasher Wrasse - $24.99

1 Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse - $49.99

1 Whip Fin Fairy Wrasse - $44.99

1 Longfin Fairy Wrasse - $34.99

1 Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse - $44.99

Edited by Ryan S

Im no expert but that list seems a little much. 6 tangs and 15 anthius are alot. My mistake, I overlooked the "narrowing down" part.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk

Edited by spankna

(PS: I have used a 7mp kodak digital camera, a jvc digital video camcorder, an iphone 4s, and my samsung boost mobile cell phone --> and all 4 take tank pics/videos that look mega blue. is their a way to take a photo or video that actually looks like the tank somehow? (without a DSLR ideally?)

"Final Draft" of the fish list. I am sure the fish on the list, as well as their planned dates of addition, will change over time, but here it is for now!

Group 1 (March 2012):

2 Cleaner Skunk Shrimp

2 Fire Shrimp

1 Ocellaris Clownfish, Male, Tank Bred

1 Ocellaris Clownfish, Female, Tank Bred

1 Swallowtail Angelfish, Male

1 Swallowtail Angelfish, Female

Group 2 (April 2012):

1 Male Bartlett Anthias

5 Female Bartlett Anthias

1 Male Lyretail Anthias

5 Female Lyretail Anthias

Group 2 (June 2012):

1 Midas Blenny

1 Yellow Watchman Goby

1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp

1 McCosker's Flasher Wrasse, Male

2 McCosker's Flasher Wrasse, Female

Group 3 (September 2012):

1 Blue Hippo Tang, Small

1 Desjardini Sailfin Tang, Small

1 Yellow Tang, Small

1 Powder Blue Tang, Small

Group 4 (December 2012):

1 Scooter Blenny

1 Green Mandarin

1 Copperband Butterflyfish

• 2 weeks later...

The tank has been running for 1 month!

How do you guys take FTS's that don't SUCK???

FTS with flash:

gallery_2631706_3_128044.jpg

FTS without flash:

gallery_2631706_3_398494.jpg