Ryan's 150g Marineland Deep Dimension!

Ryan S

tHAT WILL HELP, but i would consider redoing your drain from the tank, to allow air to dissipate before being suck down. IME the bubbles coming out of your drain line will result in alot of salt creep.

Sean

Thanks Sean. How can I redo it so air can dissipate before being sucked down? I have a durso pipe in the overflow box above with a small hole drilled into the cap. If I drilled a bigger hole up there, would that help dissipate the air? Maybe my hole is too small?

Edited by Ryan S

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice aquascape.

Thank you! I am happy with it, but I do feel like it makes the tank seem a little empty. I'll definitely need a bunch of fish to make the tank look full.

When it clears up I will make a video showing it from each of the 3 sides.

Edited by Ryan S

Looking good Ryan! Did you use the raw shrimp method for cycling?

Yeah. I got 6 big ones from my local Giant and tossed them in. (1 shrimp per 25 gallons). I also ordered a bottle of Cycle online for $5 (though I've read mixed reviews on it online). But I figured adding it couldn't hurt the process, but hopefully speed it up. I am trying to find out how long I am supposed to leave the shrimp in the tank for. They've been in for 5 days now?

Honestly I would leave them in and just let them rot and do there thing. Once your cycle is complete your CUC will destroy what ever is left.

Ryan, your aquascape looks great man! Good work! I would redo your drain plumbing though. Use two 45' from the top and angle right into the true union ball valve. From the ball valve cement in flex pvc directly to the filter sock. That should get rid of some of your noise.

Okay, I fixed the loud return problem. I will take a photo later, but this is what I did. I cut off the last 1" pipe that went into the filter sock. I removed the filter sock and holder and put a 1:1.5" adapter, and then a short piece of 1.5" pvc, followed by a U at the bottom with 2 1.5" elbows. It basically looks like a 1.5" version of this. The overflow is silent now, I assume because the increase to 1.5" allowed more room for the water and air to escape without as much pressure. I am going to add a thin piece of acrlyic over that section now because of the minor spray from the upflow.

Edited by Ryan S

looks really nice man...im starting to like cubes alot more these days. some definately nice rocks you got there and it looks like a bridge could be added easiy for some more prime sps real estate...

cant wait to see it stocked.

Thanks Evan. I was thinking that an arch between the 2 tallest rocks would look awesome. I can picture in my head an arch there that goes up to 6" from the surface of the water and covering it with SPS that would grow great there, and would reflect off the surface of the water - like in this photo, which I think would look awesome. The hard part would be getting the perfect arch piece to go there. (Though I am willing to bet if I sent BRS a photo of the tank and told them what I was after, they could probably find a pukani piece to do the trick.)

Do you see the flat rock to the back left, by the overflow box? It's behind the taller rock? I've been wondering what coral(s) I should put on that rock. The only downside to putting a couple SPS pieces back there, is that you really couldn't see them from the front of the tank (though you could from the sides). Plus it's pretty far down, so I am not sure how well the Radions would grow them down there. Can you think of any good corals that might look good back there?

Edited by Ryan S

looks really nice man...im starting to like cubes alot more these days. some definately nice rocks you got there and it looks like a bridge could be added easiy for some more prime sps real estate...

cant wait to see it stocked.

I was thinking the same thing.!!

if you ask me id say ZOA GARDEN haha...im a sps/zoa guy though so im biased, but i see a good clam spot or 4, maybe a couple encrusting monti's

so many possibilities....really just find something you like to look at...least thats how i shop...oh thats nice, how much, nevermind..how bout that one :tongue:

or you could wait till some of your sps get taller (stags/torts etc and just move them down there so they can be seen over the rock from the front view....

not a huge softie guy but im sure other could make some nice suggestions....always wanted a nice carpet anem but im too afraid of anems moving and destroying my sps (not even sure if carpets move but i know RBTA's do)

LOL, yes it does. Looking good. How are the levels doing?

LOL, yes it does. Looking good. How are the levels doing?

Will run the tests this weekend. Still putting equipment together. The Apex is the last project waiting to get hooked up. Trying to get the skimmer working as well. Justin recommended skimming 5g of skimmate and dumping it, so I will give that a shot this weekend as well.

Did you give the skimmer a vinegar bath or anything after assembly?

I did not. (Even though the directions clearly said to do so!) My guess is that the constant skimmate is from the oils/cement from putting it together - or maybe the 160 pounds of brand new dry sand and 45 pounds of dry pukani rock...? Either way, at some point it should settle down... right?

I ran mine in my kitchen sink filled with warm vinegar water for a couple of hours after I assembled it... to my surprise, it produced skimmate in that time!

gallery_2632346_867_4530.jpg

You've got new sand, new rock, new sump, new plastic, and the adhesive. It will probably take a week to break in. Check out Steve Velasco's thread.......it will do that for a while and then all of a sudden it will start skimming.

You've got new sand, new rock, new sump, new plastic, and the adhesive. It will probably take a week to break in. Check out Steve Velasco's thread.......it will do that for a while and then all of a sudden it will start skimming.

Yeah, Steve V is the one that recommended removing the skimmer cup and letting it overflow for a week or so, that's why it's doing that in my pic above. This weekend I will drain out 5g of skimmate per Justin's advice (Steve V did the same thing with his skimmer, but sucked out 10g of skimmate). I will also run it in the kitchen sink with a vinegar mixture for a couple hours as well, I figure that can't hurt either.

Edited by Ryan S

man that fits in there just right. looks real nice...cant wait to turn my sump in to an avast showroom too.

sad part is youll have your tank up and running before i do, and ive had my new tank for like 7 or 8 months now....

Looks like your on the way to a really nice reef. i have some corals growing out for you now :laugh: