Ryan's 150g Marineland Deep Dimension!

Ryan S

I like to keep both snails and hermits. Here is my take on it.. I like a couple kinds of snails, but I especially find Nassarius snails to be extermely useful. Hermits, well I would get small ones bc they will grow. When they grow and get big they eat your snails. So I would avoid buying large hermits to start. Blue legs are good, I like the red leg scarletts, halloweens are cool, but pricey for a crab. As for mithrax(emeralds), I would probably stay away to start. They can be somewhat aggressive. I do like Sally Lightfoots a lot and have never had aggression issues with them, theyre also more active and more likely to be seen. Ultimately its what you like and what you feel will meet your needs.

The problem with Emeralds is that people buy two males and 1 female not realizing that the males will hunt each other. Rule of thumb is to get 1 male and 1 female or 1 male and 2-4 females. Males can be differentiated by their claws. Make sure if you get green or red mithrax that you stick with ONE. Green and Reds will fight each other for territory. I found out the hard way. I love my crabs though, watching them hang upside down on my rocks eating and cleaning is great.

Trick is to get just enough that they never go hungry, otherwise they will start looking for food elsewhere.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do yourself a favor and don't get any emerald crabs. The only positive is they eat bubble algae, but your tank is large enough to get a fish that eats it. They love to snack on poccillopora and birdsnest type corals, and are predatory in nature. Stick with mainly snails (cerith, nassarius, etc...) and some hermits. jmo.

Okay. Fish List adjusting continues. I think the zebrasoma tangs would be too big for my tank, but the bristletooth look like they'd work just fine. Here are 5 bristletooth tangs:

http://aquarium-fish.liveaquaria.com/search?p=Q&lbc=liveaquaria&uid=157297062&ts=results&w=bristletooth&af=temperament:peaceful%20cat1:marinefish&isort=score&method=and

Which of these 5 would you recommend? My initial choice, based on looks, is the "Kole Yellow Eye Tang". Do any of you have 1 of those? How are they for personality?

Ive had a kole tang, it was a good fish. I really like the white tails a lot, dont see them to often. The tomini and two spot are also nice. Btw, your tank is fine for a zebrasoma, especially if you start with a 2-3" specimen.

Just lost my first repsonse... I've always had a Kole Tang in my tanks. They always seem to be active swimmers and are out and about the tank. The one I have now likes to chase my Coral Beauty around a lot although he doesn't bat an eye at my Two Bar Rabbit Fish. I think they have a "fun" personality :)

Ive had a kole tang, it was a good fish. I really like the white tails a lot, dont see them to often. The tomini and two spot are also nice. Btw, your tank is fine for a zebrasoma, especially if you start with a 2-3" specimen.

The 2 zebrasoma's I liked were these two. The Sailfin Tang, and the Scopas Tang. But their max size 15" and 12" - so that's why I figured they'd be too big for my tank? If that takes 10 years to achieve, then I'd love to start with a small one. Probably a Sailfin based on looks? And if max size doesn't matter, why couldn't I start with small tangs from other families? Like a Blue Tang for example?

Edited by Ryan S

I like white cheeks as well, they only list at 8"...

But now we're into another family (Acanthuridae). White cheeks are with the blue tangs, naso, powders, etc. Can I get 1 from that family too, or should I stick with the zebrasoma and bristletooth?

You gotta go with a Powder Blue Ryan! Gorgeous!!!

Honestly, one of my favorite fish right there. It says on their website though:

"It is extremely aggressive towards other Tangs or Surgeonfish, especially those similar in form and color, and should be the only one in the tank except in very large systems"

If I have 1 tang from 3 different families, Bristletooth, Zebrasoma, and Acanthuridae, would the PBT not be aggressive towards the other 2 tangs?

Edited by Ryan S

Honestly, one of my favorite fish right there. It says on their website though:

"It is extremely aggressive towards other Tangs or Surgeonfish, especially those similar in form and color, and should be the only one in the tank except in very large systems"

If I have 1 tang from 3 different families, Bristletooth, Zebrasoma, and Acanthuridae, would the PBT not be aggressive towards the other 2 tangs?

Fish selection is very personal but one thing I've learned over the years is get the fish you really want first and then build the right community around him. Nothing more frustrating then getting fish you really didn't care about as much and preventing you from something you really wanted. You can build a great community around a PBT as a centerpiece fish. Also considering what order they need to be put in. I wish I knew/had done that when I first started my tank.

Jon

Ok. I fixed the overflow up in the DT to make it silent (raised it); and I added 1" 1/2" tubing to the legs of the CS1 skimmer which drastically reduced the noise it produced. The only noise in the tank now is from the pipe in the sump where the water enters the sump from the overflow. See the far right side in this photo:

gallery_2631706_3_701287.jpg

It sounds like it's loud due to too much flow coming out of the 1" pipe. (The overflow does start at 1.5" in the DT, but is reduced to 1" at the bulkhead). How can I quiet this?

1) I could cut this final vertical pipe that enters the filter sock shorter?

2) Or I could drill a bunch of 1/4" holes in the current 1" pipe?

3) I could use the ball valve before the overflow enters the sump and close it a little bit?

4) I could cut off the 1" pvc pipe entering the sum, and put a 1" to 1.5" coupler and a 1.5" pipe instead?

Edited by Ryan S

Radions mounted and running!

Pic 1. $5 worth of supplies from Home Depot:

gallery_2631706_3_347769.jpg

Pic 2: Cardboard cutout for marking the canopy where to install hooks:

gallery_2631706_3_548950.jpg

Pic 3: Mark the location of radions in the canopy:

gallery_2631706_3_60015.jpg

Pic 4: Install them:

gallery_2631706_3_52234.jpg

Pic 5: What the hooks look like:

gallery_2631706_3_196789.jpg

Pic 6: Radions hanging vertically. Shows snug/strong fit:

gallery_2631706_3_212626.jpg

Pic 7: Close up in canopy:

gallery_2631706_3_353404.jpg

Pic 8: Tank and canopy shot:

gallery_2631706_3_289541.jpg

Pic 9: Screen installed on canopy to keep jumpers in:

gallery_2631706_3_12936.jpg

It sounds like it's loud due to too much flow coming out of the 1" pipe. (The overflow does start at 1.5" in the DT, but is reduced to 1" at the bulkhead). How can I quiet this?

1) I could cut this final vertical pipe that enters the filter sock shorter?

2) Or I could drill a bunch of 1/4" holes in the current 1" pipe?

3) I could use the ball valve before the overflow enters the sump and close it a little bit?

4) I could cut off the 1" pvc pipe entering the sum, and put a 1" to 1.5" coupler and a 1.5" pipe instead?

Ok, I tried 2) and it made the pipe worse. It's like loud air bubbles are being forced out of the drain and they're quite loud. Unless someone chimes in beforehand, my next attempt to fix this problem is going to be 4). I'll cut off the 1" pipe, add a 1:1.5" coupler, and then put about 8" of 1.5" at the end. Maybe they will help???

dial down the output of the return pump- maybe the overflow box can't handle the full power of the return pump?

I just shot you an email too.

What about what this guy did?

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1957589&postcount=3

I wouldn't be able to use my hang on filter sock holder and filter socks anymore though. But if it's quiet, it would probably be worth it?

I just shot you an email too.

What about what this guy did?

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1957589&postcount=3

I wouldn't be able to use my hang on filter sock holder and filter socks anymore though. But if it's quiet, it would probably be worth it?

tHAT WILL HELP, but i would consider redoing your drain from the tank, to allow air to dissipate before being suck down. IME the bubbles coming out of your drain line will result in alot of salt creep.

Sean