Ryan's 150g Marineland Deep Dimension!

Ryan S

It's not ich, I've never seen nor heard of people seeing it on the glass. My guess is hydroids. It could also be copepods though, keep in mind there's many species of copepods, some that I've seen in my tanks are so small that I honestly can't imagine seeing anything smaller. Maybe the same size, but not smaller with the naked eye. Do they move or are they stationary?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not ich, I've never seen nor heard of people seeing it on the glass. My guess is hydroids. It could also be copepods though, keep in mind there's many species of copepods, some that I've seen in my tanks are so small that I honestly can't imagine seeing anything smaller. Maybe the same size, but not smaller with the naked eye. Do they move or are they stationary?

they definitely move. like tiny tiny white copepods maybe. like ich-size.

Look at pictures of copepods and amphipods. Copepods are really tiny. My pico has hundreds. they like to stay on the algae the accumulates on the glass.

Why would you want to get rid of them? They're on the glass because when you let it go a few days without cleaning, micro-algae grows there and that's what they eat. If you keep the glass clean they won't go on it.

It's a really good thing that you have them and many people constantly look for new ways to get more- one of the main reasons people have refugiums. You already have things in the tank that eat them and greatly benefit from them- every one of your corals and fish.

Why would you want to get rid of them? They're on the glass because when you let it go a few days without cleaning, micro-algae grows there and that's what they eat. If you keep the glass clean they won't go on it.

It's a really good thing that you have them and many people constantly look for new ways to get more- one of the main reasons people have refugiums. You already have things in the tank that eat them and greatly benefit from them- every one of your corals and fish.

Oh, okay. Thanks for the help. And Jan, you too! I'll try not to let their lice-like appearance all around the tank get to me! :)

Looks like your tank has finally finished cycling. Sam is absolutely correct. You don't want to get rid of pods. You want to have as many as possible.

How are your corals doing Ryan?

Chris, other than the few SPS frags I lost initially, everything else is going okay. The zoanthids are growing very quickly. The florida ricordias have started to split as well.

A few sps pieces are doing great: a red monti cap, a pink monti cap, a tri color sps, birdsnest, purple digi, and a deepwater blue acro are all growing nicely. Today the new shipment from Mr. Coral arrived. I just went home and tossed the bags into the tank until I get home at 4pm and can dip them. It's a good thing I went home because the box was wet, 1 of the 21 bags had a leak apparently. I'll find out if they are all okay tonight. I will post pictures too.

So far the red planet looks good to me.

Tonight Deb ABT (Evan) is coming over as a "consultant" to check the tank out. I get great advice here on WAMAS, most of which I listen too (just look at the Avast store catalog in my stand), but I really could use someone with more experience to just come over in person and look at everything and tell me what this is, or that (those are copepods, not lice Ryan. What a newb!); or how I should fix this or that; or that I should move coral A here, and coral B here; that sort of thing. So after more or less bugging him daily, he's agreed to come over for a bit and give me a hand and give me some advice. :clap:

I have the PAR meter right now, but didn't get a chance this past weekend to use it, so I'll be running those tests this weekend and will post the results with a photo by Sunday. Initial results (just holding it real quickly under the radions) showed a PAR of about 1000 at the surface of the water and about 100 on the sand bed, so that's pretty much what I'd expect.

Went over to Ryans last night, that tank is soo much bigger in person than the pics show...Really nice set he has, and the sump is dead quiet with that foam, i opened the door and went greatgooglymoogly....

tank is coming along and looks like its actually stabalizing....the SPS he had in there looked happy, extended polyps, no burning, and some even encrusting....

there was algea on the rocks but just the typical from the BRS rock leaching....in a month or two ill be it looks nice and clean....Radions look much better/pleasing to the eye than i thought they would...corals had normal colors and not the LED color im used to (kinda pale glowing look...sorry led peeps that just my opinion....i still cling to old technology...Air cooled non power steering 911, blackberry, Radium 20ks, no facebook etc,) though i have seen some other DIY set up do the same using more colors then CW and RB. if you have success with CW/RB set up great not saying it isnt possible but just dont see it often.

Ryans fish look well feed but the tangs have ALOT of ich...i thought it was almost velvet like but the fact that its only the two tangs not the other fish and that they are still alive and its only the two tangs im leaning towards ich...not great on disease diagnosis but....its good their bellies look filled and hopefully they end up pulling thru

tank has alot of potential, heck it already is pretty nice just needs time....

Ill let him talk about the new corals that arrived.

..........?blink.gif excl.gif cry.gif ohmy.gif

Hang on now! This order was placed on March 6 - a month ago! It was held a month to give my tank some time to mature a bit. It's not a new order or anything. I'm not adding anything else for a while, I promise! :)

Ryan did you have any more fish loss since the last post on their count...or are they finally winning the battle against ich

Only 4 fish left. Out of 19 originally.

(edited)

Ill let him talk about the new corals that arrived.

I'm not sure how to handle the situation at the moment.

1. Lost 1 coral in transit (a clove). Probably 2-3 SPS were half dead on arrival as well.

2. The box was wet/leaking when it arrived. 1 of the bags inside had leaked apparently.

3. Found flatworms with Evan on the SPS frags (treated with Revive and Lugol's).

4. Half of the corals are not something that I ordered. IE the only zoanthid I ordered was eagle eyes, and I got some ugly weird purple ones; or the rainbow acan I ordered wasn't shipped, but a teal acan instead; and lord knows how many of the 10 SPS are the ones I ordered, as none have the coloration as the photos did on the website. 90% are brown or white at this point.

5. I called Sonny after I placed the order on March 6th and asked him if he could hold them for 1 month for me, to give my tank that much more time to finish the cycle and mature a bit. Plus it would give his fresh cut frags a month to heal and begin to encrust on his end as well. He said not a problem at all. Not a single frag that arrived (of the 21 total) looked like it wasn't glued to the plug any earlier than Monday. Nothing was remotely close to beginning to encrust.

So I'm not sure how to handle the situation. This is the first time I've ordered from mrcoral.com and had a shipment sent to me. Probably will be the last. At least in the store you get what you order.

Not sure if this will end my dealings with Sonny or not. I'll talk to him first and see what he says. This experience has definitely left a bad taste in my mouth and makes me want to buy colonies exclusively from Sean from now on (Travis and Evan, among others, have been suggesting that from the beginning, so, like all of their other advice, maybe I should finally give in on this too :happy: ), and skip the $10 frags entirely. But we'll see. I'll post some photos in a few days once I see how many frags survive the initial week in my tank.

Edited by Ryan S

That's terrible, hopefully Sonny will make it right.

Ryan, you live that close to Evan, get frags from him, He's got some awesome stuff.

What kind of flatworms were on the frags? That sucks, that is quite a lot of stuff to go wrong with one order. I also saw the same tank you have in a store today and man that thing is sweeeeet!

That's terrible, hopefully Sonny will make it right.

Ryan, you live that close to Evan, get frags from him, He's got some awesome stuff.

Sonny emailed me tonight and asked for photos. This weekend (when my GF returns with our camera) I will take photos of what was DOA, and what was received versus what was ordered, so he can see. He doesn't ship the items personally, so maybe it was a mistake in the store. Regardless, he said he'll fix things, so that assurance alone makes me happy. I understand mistakes happen.

As for Evan. I couldn't agree more. :)

What kind of flatworms were on the frags? I also saw the same tank you have in a store today and man that thing is sweeeeet!

I'd have to let Evan answer what kind of flatworms, he is much more experienced with them than I am. I actually fell in love with the 150 DD by seeing it in a store too. I think it was Super Pets when they were in Annandale actually. The thing was like $2500, but dang, it was super sexy.

I owe you another beer. I grabbed it. I saw that he had a couple PMs ahead of me, so I emailed him directly with a $220 offer, and he took it. He's shipping it out tomorrow! :clap:

I owe you another beer. I grabbed it. I saw that he had a couple PMs ahead of me, so I emailed him directly with a $220 offer, and he took it. He's shipping it out tomorrow! :clap:

I owe someone a beer too. I emailed him for his Geo Calcium Reactor and got that. My 200 is going to have some nice equipment.

(edited)

I owe someone a beer too. I emailed him for his Geo Calcium Reactor and got that. My 200 is going to have some nice equipment.

Sounds like you guys got some good deals. Those other people are on there whining now. haha

Edited by BowieReefer84

Congrats to the two of you on the purchases...220 is a steal.

pretty sure the flatworms were there (didnt have a camera so this is not a pic of the actual flatworms that came off)

flatworm3a.jpg

there was about 5-7 of them in varying sizes...

most of the frags appeared fresher cut (no encrusting) and the first round of dips was only sps.....I didnt really see any bite marks on the corals and couldnt find any eggs and hopefully there were none.

His other sps is looking great, heck he even has a bonsai keeping color and green polyps extended nicely..

many of the corals were rather bleachedish looking....reminds me of wild caught colonies when they first come in...color up after they adjust to lights type of deal.....and the others were just brownish....

i will say a few corals had some definate potential...could tell one was a tri color/bonsia...another had purpleish polyps...a few of the whiteish ones were showing a slight hue of red/pink/blue...

Im glad it sounds like sonny is going to take care of things and hope things work out...also hope a couple of those corals make it.

Sonny shouldnt have to fix it, he should do things right the first time.

Ryan, do yourself a favor, buy healthy corals from reputable stores. I gave them a try recently, only to find the exact same thing. My order was sitting in hold for 2 weeks due to an error with it getting shipped out (no ones fault there), when they arrived I felt the same way. I know what the difference between a frag cut recently and a frag that been sitting for a couple weeks. The LPS sides where it was cut couldnt have been anymore white. Not to mention that my 1 "limit 1" wasnt even the one I ordered. I knew the possibility going into it, and when it happened I wasnt really suprised at all. I didnt see the need for a flame post nor did I see the need to question them. I simply cured my curiousity and justified why I will NEVER do business with them again. The extra money places like BRK and F&F charge is WELL worth it IMO. Luckily everything I ordered is still alive (so far), so we shall see.

Be patient, and spend your money wisely once.