Ryan's 150g Marineland Deep Dimension!

Ryan S

(edited)

Good Luck! I think that valve on the drain should have been placed on the return...you can't restrict the drain without being able to control the return. Moreover, unions would have been easier on you when you do maintenance on your check valve than your hose clamps...I would keep spare tubing in case it gets damaged when you disassemble the return portion.

John, I still have unions sitting in a bag next to my tank. I wanted to use them where both of the tubings are located, but the problem is that, once I glued them into place, I wouldn't be able to remove my bulkheads. Right now I can unscrew the clamps and remove the hoses and unscrew the bulkhead nut, and pull the return and overflow pipes out of the tank. But if I glued a union underneath, when it came time to remove the bulkheads, i wouldn't be able too, because the union would be glued into place and it wouldn't slide through the hole behind the overflow box. Does that make sense?

Edited by Ryan S

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should never have to remove plumbing through a bulkhead...yes, once the union is glued it will become a permanent part of the bulkhead (for lack of a better way of describing it). You'll only be able to remove everything under the union...i.e. check valve and return pump.

You should never have to remove plumbing through a bulkhead...yes, once the union is glued it will become a permanent part of the bulkhead (for lack of a better way of describing it). You'll only be able to remove everything under the union...i.e. check valve and return pump.

But what if I want to move the tank some day or something? Just replace the bulkheads?

But what if I want to move the tank some day or something? Just replace the bulkheads?

I'd be more concerned about making your monthly maintenance routine easier on yourself than worrying about salvaging $20 in plumbing parts during some move in the future...but yes, I'll agree you won't be able to lay the tank on its base during a move...you'll either have to cut the PVC above the union to salvage the bulkhead or put the tank on risers to protect your plumbing.

I'd be more concerned about making your monthly maintenance routine easier on yourself than worrying about salvaging $20 in plumbing parts during some move in the future...but yes, I'll agree you won't be able to lay the tank on its base during a move...you'll either have to cut the PVC above the union to salvage the bulkhead or put the tank on risers to protect your plumbing.

That makes perfect sense. It would be a lot easier to unscrew a union to clean the return pump than to remove those clamps and pull the tubing off. I could put another true union ball valve where that black tubing is - It wouldn't be a hard modification. I'll definitely think about it.

Ryan, more food for thought on this topic. I have almost the exact same setup for my return pump (mag 9.5 going to clear tubing without an easy way to remove it). I have found that I end up removing all the the screws that hold the volute on the pump during maintenance anyway... So I left it without the unions and just dissasemble/reassemble in place and leave the volute attached to the tubing while I service the pump..

Ryan, more food for thought on this topic. I have almost the exact same setup for my return pump (mag 9.5 going to clear tubing without an easy way to remove it). I have found that I end up removing all the the screws that hold the volute on the pump during maintenance anyway... So I left it without the unions and just dissasemble/reassemble in place and leave the volute attached to the tubing while I service the pump..

What is a "volute"? And how often will I need to service the pump anyway? I was thinking a vinegar bath once every 6 months?

The pump is made in three major parts, a motor block, impellor and a volute. The volute is the plastic part that is attached by screws to the motor block and has the outlet nozzle, the purpose of the volute is to direct water from the spinning impellor to the outlet nozzle in the most efficient way possible.

Around every six months is about right. I don't generally vinegar bath it unless it looks like it has some calcium build-up, which I don't usually see like I do for DT pumps. Instead it is usually that brown organic buildup that covers the inside of all piping in SW systems after a bit of run-time. That stuff comes off easily with a few paper towels and a toothbrush. Usually a 10-15 minute process including full dissassembly and reassembly of the pump.

That makes my back ache just thinking of that... smile.gif

It isn't too bad fore me... the whole return section of my sump sticks out the back of my stand (that's how you put a 75 gallon tank underneath a 60 biggrin.gif ), makes for very simple maintenance.

The DT is filling as we speak! I'd say it's about 1/3 full. At 75gpd, 150g display, it will be a couple days!

Funny thing - I put my brand new 300w finnex heater into the DT this morning to start warming the water. The water is reading 63 degrees, the heater is set at 78 degrees. The darned heater has a high pitched alarm sound that you cant turn off or turn down, because the water is so cold. I turned it off to not annoy my neighbors today, maybe will try to turn it on tonight while I am home or wrap it in a sock or something. Super annoying!

How low can you turn the temperature, set it to 65 maybe? Perhaps bring the temp up in stages to avoid the noise?

(edited)

It only goes as low as 68. Their website says here under H.M.O. (*** is censored? LOL) series: "A) Water temperatures under 68F will trigger the alert. Patiently wait for heater to raise temps above 68F for alert to cease and preferred temperatures to be reached."

So that's just annoying. I mean, I understand the alarm is there to alert me if the temp drops, thats fine. But what if you want to use the heater on fresh ro/di water or a new tank like my situtation? There isn't even a "snooze" button on it, or a mute or anything. And it's one of those high pitched alarms too!

Edited by Ryan S

(edited)

Really looking forward to seeing your tank filled and cycled. I am about 2 weeks out from filling myself.

Looking forward to seeing yours too!

Tonight I plan on mounting the radions in the canopy. I got some small eye bolts from home depot and some hooks that screw directly into the radions. This was I can hang them to the canopy, and can easily remove them again if I need to clean them, remove the entire canopy, etc.

I also need to figure out how to install the Apex. I've never had one before so right now it's a box of wires and cables and boxes that looks like fun haha.

I've been taking all the photos so far with my phone, which is why their quality isn't that great. Once I get the tank up and running I'll start using my digital camera, which should make it all look better.

Edited by Ryan S

(edited)

Just beginning to think about a fish list for the tank... Can I assume most tangs are out because the tank is only 3'x3'? I am thinking reef-safe, peaceful, colorful, small fish for the tank?

Early Thoughts:

Yellow Watchman Goby & Pistol Shrimp Pair

Firefish

1 Male Lyretail Anthias

2 Female Lyretail Anthias

Kaudern's Cardinal

2 Ocellaris Clownfish

3 Spotted Cardinalfish

Does this list seem boring to you guys as well?

I wonder what other fish groups I could keep that are more colorful/exciting than the list above. I'd love to go Angels like Copps (but would 3'x3' work for them?) Or what about a big school of something. Say like 10 Lyretail Anthias, 1 Male and 9 Females. Would that be fun? Or 20 Green Chromis? /shrug

Edited by Ryan S

Grey Headed Wrasse would be great for your tank.

That is a beautiful wrasse. I hope to keep several shrimp though: 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 2 Fire Shrimp, and 2 Peppermint Shrimp. He might not play nice with them?

Omair - what are your early thoughts for reef safe fish for your cube or the new tank you're thinking about setting up?

I see no issue with a tang, and if you want get a small one. There are some really nice smaller tangs out there.

Will you have a closed canopy.? If so, I would go with some really nice wrasses. Velvets, fairys, flashers and so on. Not all wrasses are going to be shrimp eaters.

My issue with your list is.. Well.. It is boring and VERY common. This is just my opinion and its worth what you paid for it. Anthias are awesome, but think outside the box, lots of anthias out there you could a trio of something more exciting than those. A group of firefish would be cool in there. Ditch the spotted cardinals and get a group of longspines or orange lined cardinals. Kaudrens are great looking, with a tank your size I would try a group of them. You could get a group of Blue Reef Chromis (not the reg greenish ones), there is also several other cool chromis out there.

What are you looking for in your livestock.? Do you want very active fish, slow moving and so on.?

I went with contrasting colors that non-aggressive fish. The Grey Head Wrasse is a very calm, docile fish. I have him in my tank with two fire shrimp and he's been great with them. It's awesome watching him bury himself in the sand to sleep, then poke his out and look around when he wakes up. I tried to emphasise Personality, Color and schooling fish to create lots of movement.

Edited by Omair

I see no issue with a tang, and if you want get a small one. There are some really nice smaller tangs out there.

Will you have a closed canopy.? If so, I would go with some really nice wrasses. Velvets, fairys, flashers and so on. Not all wrasses are going to be shrimp eaters.

My issue with your list is.. Well.. It is boring and VERY common. This is just my opinion and its worth what you paid for it. Anthias are awesome, but think outside the box, lots of anthias out there you could a trio of something more exciting than those. A group of firefish would be cool in there. Ditch the spotted cardinals and get a group of longspines or orange lined cardinals. Kaudrens are great looking, with a tank your size I would try a group of them. You could get a group of Blue Reef Chromis (not the reg greenish ones), there is also several other cool chromis out there.

What are you looking for in your livestock.? Do you want very active fish, slow moving and so on.?

I agree with this. Nothing wrong with common, but IMO, some specific focus will help. In addition to Travis' questions, is there a particurlar region of the world or section of the reef that you want to emulate?

I don't see any problem with a tang in your tank from the zebrasoma or bristletooth families.

(edited)

The canopy is closed, so jumpers aren't a concern. I am definitely okay with wrasses, I would just want reef safe ones that won't eat snails, clams, my shrimp. That's all. As for what I am looking for... See below:

I tried to emphasise Personality, Color and schooling fish to create lots of movement.

This sounds perfect to me. I want SPS in my tank that are bright colors. Something bright blue, something bright pink, orange, etc. And I'd love for my fish to add different colors as well. Personality is a huge plus, that's why I want sand sifting gobies this time, and the goby/shrimp pair. Omair's wrasse that sleeps in the sand sounds fun. I love watching cleaner shrimp ride the hippo tang across the tank, etc.

I DO like the fish in this

. Very active. Lots of personality.

I DO like the fish this

. Obviously too many, but the colors are awesome. If you go to the 2 minute part, I love that there are fish all over the place, some high, some low, some alone, some grouped, etc.

I DONT like the fish in this

. They kind of just sit there, or all move as one. That's boring to me.

In addition to Travis' questions, is there a particurlar region of the world or section of the reef that you want to emulate?

Not really. But I could use a region to help narrow the choices if you think that would help?

Edited by Ryan S

Sorry I didnt watch the 1st video the second I realized whose it was. I am assuming its a bunch of angels.. If so, keep in mind that there is a good chance they could bother corals, esp LPS/clams.

2nd video I love, but its hard to know what you want out of it. Its amazing, but its huge, hard for me to translate that to your tank, but that video makes me smile.!

3rd video, thats nice SPS tank. Thats pretty much the fish you listed, and yep, BORING rolleyes.gif . Though I think they were all over there bc he was messing around near and with the tank, I would guess normally its more active.

I cant speak for your taste in fish, none of us can. We all have our own personal likings with fish. For me, I built my new tank around a Longhorn Cowfish I have always wanted. It gave me a starting place, then I have to decide what I want that can live with it. Much like what Chad said, specific focus. Though I only have a few fish in my tank so far, its because I need to make purchases to suit my system, not my impulses. I do plan to add more fish, but I always need to keep in mind who/what is most important and to continue following the direction I have set out for myself.

I would not do that. I think Hermits are much more mobile and quicker then snails, but snails are healthy eaters and able to clean your glass, overflow etc. Don't go one way or the other, but do a combination.

Astrea Snails work great, because their shells are cone shaped, if they fall over they are able to right themselves. Pretty efficient cleaners. I really like big hermits that add color to my tank. You can pickup some huge holloween hermits and then supplement with a small amount of red leg/blue leg hermits. For your tank I definitely recommend getting 2-3 mithrax crabs. I would hold off on adding anything until you see your ammonia spike and then start dropping though.

You need a good balance, and it really depends if you plan to do GFO or Bio Pellets. You won't need a large clean up crew if you plan to use either. A little algae is needed for your grazing fish to pick on as well. Balance and Harmony.

Edited by Omair

Fairy wrasses can be kept in single male, multiple female groups and usually species can be mixed to give some variety. I am a huge fan of anthias, although IMO some, get a little large (for reference, I think anthias >4" are large) for groups of more than a couple. Some of the smaller ones, like bartlett's are great, I am a huge fan.

In the end, and I am going to quote copps since I strongly agree with it, buy fish that excite you. If that list you provided above is exciting for you, then do it and be happy.

For me, I like groups, movement, and interaction.

I have done this in a bunch of ways before, in a previous tank, I had a 15 Bartlett's anthias, ~5 yellow watchman gobies and pistol shrimp, a few fish to accomplish a job (lawnmower blenny, yellow tang, and rabbitfish), and a few interesting fillers (wrasses mostly). That was it. Another previous tank was built around a Harlequin tusk - a trio of blue reef chromis, a snowflake moray, and a small triggerfish to complete it. Another was built around a group of 5 Hawaiian leaf fish. (I am starting to think I have had too many tanks )

Still the most memorable tank I have ever seen (not mine, was at an importer in NY) had a group of ~5 semilvartus butterflies as the focus.

Obviously, sometimes the above picks limit what you can have from a coral/invert standpoint. To me, the key to a truly stunning tank is to hit a focal point and build appropriately and thoughtfully around that. My first tank lacked that focus and always felt as if something was a little amiss (and honestly, my current tank lacks it too).

On the snails vs. hermits... unless you have a specific purpose to avoid hermits (e.g., you want to keep seahorses and either the seahorses will seek out and eat the crabs or the crabs will try to feed on the seahorses' tail), there isn't any reason not to include them.

I like to keep both snails and hermits. Here is my take on it.. I like a couple kinds of snails, but I especially find Nassarius snails to be extermely useful. Hermits, well I would get small ones bc they will grow. When they grow and get big they eat your snails. So I would avoid buying large hermits to start. Blue legs are good, I like the red leg scarletts, halloweens are cool, but pricey for a crab. As for mithrax(emeralds), I would probably stay away to start. They can be somewhat aggressive. I do like Sally Lightfoots a lot and have never had aggression issues with them, theyre also more active and more likely to be seen. Ultimately its what you like and what you feel will meet your needs.