Dave W's 3000 gal plankton/reef tank

dave w

This some kinda of dooms day prep hole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know that's actually quite funny.  Who else would bury a bunch of water tanks underground?  

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This some kinda of dooms day prep hole

Actually, I am probably the only person in the country burying water tanks that isn't a doomsday prepper.  

Many thanks to all the people who showed up today to help put in the glass.  Unfortunately we found out the hard way that the steel frame has expanded so many times that some of the panels are not square.  Because I ordered the glass to very tight tolerances I will spend the next few days sanding down corners so the glass fits.  

But many beers were consumed and a lot of good conversation happened, which was fun to be a part of.  If anyone wants to post a picture of the participants, please feel free to.  I didn't take any pictures today.

Thanks for having me. It was great to see all of it. Sure couldn't wrap my head around it before and I think I'm still fuzzy on some details. Here's a picture that R took.

Posted Image

This was today? Yikes, I'm off by one week! I hope you had enough hands, would have loved to slosh a brew and check it out. Does this mean you'll need more help without the glass fitting right?

next monday is my birthday, so there's a solid chance I'll be trying to recover from a wicked hangover on saturday night, but I wouldn't mind lending a hand

Man wish I could have made it. This is a historical build for the DMV/ WAMAS.

This was today? Yikes, I'm off by one week! I hope you had enough hands, would have loved to slosh a brew and check it out. Does this mean you'll need more help without the glass fitting right?

I may.  Let's see how this week goes, I need to sand down some corners and some edges to make the glass fit.  If my glass installer friend won't be available again until next weekend, then another glass party will be organized.  

next monday is my birthday, so there's a solid chance I'll be trying to recover from a wicked hangover on saturday night, but I wouldn't mind lending a hand

Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know what develops.

Man wish I could have made it. This is a historical build for the DMV/ WAMAS.

Thanks for the compliment, but it may be historical only in the context of "historically long".  But if there are no leaks after its filled with water, I can move ahead with the plumbing systems.  Realistically is could be 3-4 months before I get fish.  And when I say "3 or 4 months" that usually turns out to be a year.

Dave- We need more pictures to get a better idea of the scope of this project!  Any chance of pics from each corner or the room? What an undertaking!

I will get some pics very soon and post updates.  Usually the tank is so cluttered with materials and tools that I try to take a pic of just the task at hand so people don't see too much of the surrounding dirt.

Today I sanded the corners on the remaining four pieces of 3/4" glass so they dry fit into their panels.  So the next pics I take should show the glass in place.

I have been following this build since the beginning. I would love to get the opportunity to see it in person. Let me know if you need some more help. We were going to start our deck...but i will ask...beg....just-do-it-anyway if you need help.

eddie

I have been following this build since the beginning. I would love to get the opportunity to see it in person. Let me know if you need some more help. We were going to start our deck...but i will ask...beg....just-do-it-anyway if you need help.

eddie

beg my wife

• 1 month later...

Update?

More pics?

Did your holes below ground fill up with rain over the last couple weeks?

DuffyGeos,  We got 5 more panes of glass installed yesterday, now there are only 3 small ones left plus one of the big front panes.  We left one big pane off so we could get in and out of the aquarium without using a ladder, so it will be the last one installed.  I think I can get the glass finished this coming week by myself, although I may need one helper.   

I'll post pics soon.  Maybe next week I'll fill with water for a trial run, but don't hold your breath.  Everything takes longer than I think.

Because my back yard isn't finished, often rain gets into the greenhouse subfloor when we have big storms.  I had nightmares of the four IBC totes floating up and causing trouble with the floor, so I filled them all up with water when they were installed. 

DuffyGeos, We got 5 more panes of glass installed yesterday, now there are only 3 small ones left plus one of the big front panes. We left one big pane off so we could get in and out of the aquarium without using a ladder, so it will be the last one installed. I think I can get the glass finished this coming week by myself, although I may need one helper.

I'll post pics soon. Maybe next week I'll fill with water for a trial run, but don't hold your breath. Everything takes longer than I think.

Because my back yard isn't finished, often rain gets into the greenhouse subfloor when we have big storms. I had nightmares of the four IBC totes floating up and causing trouble with the floor, so I filled them all up with water when they were installed.

Filled with water for a trial run!!! How much water will that be? Lol

OK!  I finally put the last of 14 panes of glass in place with silicone today and the tank can be made ready for water.  And it only took 3 years!  What am I going to do with all the extra time I'm going to have?

I still need to put epoxy paint all over the fiberglass to prevent pinhole leaks which are inevitable with fiberglass work.  Then the water test.  I'll send a pic when I start to put in the water.

OK!  I finally put the last of 14 panes of glass in place with silicone today and the tank can be made ready for water.  And it only took 3 years!  What am I going to do with all the extra time I'm going to have?

I still need to put epoxy paint all over the fiberglass to prevent pinhole leaks which are inevitable with fiberglass work.  Then the water test.  I'll send a pic when I start to put in the water.

Awesome! Sounds like its really coming together! That's alot of planning coming into fruition...good work

Congratulations, Dave! Coincidentally, I just finished a 3-year basement project last week, too. It's just around the corner for you! :cool:

Now that it's almost ready to fill with water, I'm thinking of expanding.  I have room in the basement for some 275 gallon IBC totes for copepod culture.  The totes I'm thinking about getting were filled with mulch dye.  That sounds like wicked stuff, but upon researching I find that it is simple iron oxide, biodegradable, and probably cleans out easily.  The MSDS sheets on the dye show no toxic substances.  Does anyone know enough to recommend using or staying away from it?  At $30 each it's hard to beat the price.