HOW TO GET RID OF APTASIA!?!?!

Nate

(edited)

I have an aptasia problem that recently started to get out of control. I have done a lot of research and found that there are just no real good ways to get rid of this stuff. Here is what I have heard doesn't work: Copper Band, Peppermint Shrimp, Aptasia-X, Joe's Juice. So what does work...HELP

Edited by Nate

Well, you didn't mention kalk paste or boiling vinegar. Berghia nudibranch eats aptasia also.

you can remove the rocks and treat them until the aptasia are dead.

I use Aptasia- X.

David

I have an aptasia problem that recently started to get out of control. I have done a lot of research and found that there are just no real good ways to get rid of this stuff. Here is what I have heard doesn't work: Copper Band, Peppermint Shrimp, Aptasia-X, Joe's Juice. So what does work...HELP

There are probably instances where any approach has failed somebody. All you have listed have a longer list of successes, I would guess - especially the chemical means when used correctly.

I've had success using both Aiptasia-X and lemon juice. But, then again, I've only had three of them that I had to deal with in total.

aptasia x does work, so does a copper band, problem is aptasia x is never ending, because you will never find all of them and they breed like animals..the copper band on the other hand are hard to get to eat and usually die before they eat all the aptasia.

if you can get your rock out and cook it that is the best best...

good luck, im dealing with it right now...and its a pain.

eric

I just killed a tiny one using boiled, in the microwave, RO/DI water. I injected it over and over again. I stuck the syringe in it several times and when the water started to cool off, I nuked it again and kept on injecting. It's been a week and it hasn't come back.

Well I am definitely not going to boil my rocks. And most of my rock have corals encrusted to them. I want the aptasia gone but not the coral. I am trying to figure out which method has the best success rate. I haven't tried anything yet and I probably have close to 50 that I can see. I never had this crap until I got some corals that came with them. Ha ha. I am pretty sure Almon is to blame for some of this.

True peppermint shrimp will work. I bought two for my 120g and within two weeks every single aiptasia was gone.. including several huge pieces.

If you feed heavily your peppermint shrimp will not even look at the aptasia, Aptaisia X has worked well for me....plus it's just fun to watch them implode.

True peppermint shrimp will work. I bought two for my 120g and within two weeks every single aiptasia was gone.. including several huge pieces.

I bought 10 peppermint shrimp 2 days ago. But the second I put them in the tank they headed for my rocks and I haven't seen them since. I have not seen even one of them... not even at night. They all were pretty small and I highly doubt that they are going to go after the aptasia..mainly because they are so small. I guess I'll give them some more time.

Destroy them with the ultimate weapon in the universe:

Mix it so it's pasty but still able to flow though the applicator and tell it to open wide :biggrin: it took only one shot and it has not come back for more.

gallery_2631516_394_163914.jpg

Nate,

Patience is the name of the game. They will eat the aptasia you just need to give them time. I used the guys to eradicate the stuff from my tank. I currently have one peppermint shrimp left. I

look in your pantry or cupboards for white vinegar. it really works thats what i use, get a syringe fill it up and stick it right down the center of the aptasia melts away

I just happen to be an expert...

glassanem.jpg

The answers above are all correct - especially the one that says you'll NEVER get them all!!

I have ZERO aiptasia in my 240. I battled hundreds of them with kalk injections for months - often killing 100 a night. And there were always more.

I got a Copper-banded butterfly. He did NOT appear to be eating aiptasia. And then one day, it became obvious he was eating only the tiniest ones. So, I killed the big ones, and he ate the little ones - and eventually the numbers dwindled. And as he ran out of little ones, he started on bigger and bigger ones. Toward the end, I stopped killing them, so he would have food. It took about 3-4 months. During that time, he learned to eat mysis (all the other fish were doing it!). I've had him for almost a year now - and he's a beautiful addition to the tank, and has a good personality as well.

My frag system is almost clear of aiptasia - just one or two here and there; nothing but kalk in an injector for that system; too small for a CBB. The 58-gallon system still has tons of aiptaisa - the rockwork makes it hard to get into a lot of places with the kalk.

bob

I agree that peppermints will work. I have had lots of success with them in the past. I am just starting to battle aiptasia in my tank, I am going to try a two-phase approach. First, I'm going to add a dozen or two peppermints (I can get them pre-acclimated to captivity which I believe makes a huge difference in their survival and aiptasia appetite). Also I am going to add a small group of Heniochus diphreutes once I can find them. I have had good luck with both H. diphreutes and H. acuminatus eating aiptasia in the past. If both of those don't do the trick, I'm going to start a berghia culture. They will do the job but need to be cultured in large numbers before they're effective in large tanks.

The Racoon butterfly I had eat all the aptasia I had, problem is that it is not reef safe -> i.e. it will eat your coral.

(edited)
There are probably instances where any approach has failed somebody. All you have listed have a longer list of successes, I would guess - especially the chemical means when used correctly.

+1

You'll find someone who will say anything in this hobby. That doesn't make it a fact. A big part of this hobby in my opinion is weeding through the different opinions and trying thing for yourself.

Here is a short experiment I did with 1 peppermint shrimp in a confined area that prove they can (note I did not say "do") work: LINK

I have also used Joe's juice to nuke dozens of them. They all died on the first hit and never came back.

good luck,

tim

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

(edited)

If your tank is already full of livestock, kalk paste is easiest and usually free. If you have room for critter control, get one. just realize that sometimes the critters die when the food source is exhausted.

Edited by zygote2k

If your tank is already full of livestock, kalk paste is easiest and usually free. If you have room for critter control, get one. just realize that sometimes the critters die when the food source is exhausted.

"If you have room for critter control, get one. just realize that sometimes the critters die when the food source is exhausted."

What does this mean?

"If you have room for critter control, get one. just realize that sometimes the critters die when the food source is exhausted."

What does this mean?

Some critters, particularly Berghia verrucicornis nudibranchs, are obligate aiptasia eaters. Once the aiptasia are gone, they will starve and die. Actually, that is the only species I know of that is an obligate aiptasia predator. Everything else will find other food. Copperband butterflies are notoriously hard to acclimate and keep long-term, but they can and will eat other food and do not depend on aiptasia for nutrition.

(edited)

yea as far as the best solutions here are my choices, fist, second and thrid or combined depending on how bad it is.

1-Berghia verrucicornis nudibranchs

2-Peppermint Shrimp

3-Kalk-joes juice

Edited by El Camaron

I also have had success with peppermint shrimp, I bought 2 for my 12 gallon apuapod that was basically a full all out Aptasia tank and they cleared 99.9% of them. Unfortunately in my 33 I currently have a red coris wrasse so the peppermint that are in there never come out unless it is night time so they don't have the opportunity to do as well of a job but they have managed to keep it under control. :)

Joe's Juice works very well. The problem is that if you don't find all of them, they'll come back. So you will need some type of biological control to help.

Here is something that works GREAT. If you can take the rock out, put it in a bucket of water with 1.040 salinity with a heater and powerhead. Do this for about two weeks. I also suggest nuking as many as you can with Joe's Juice before putting it in the bucket. I bought a bunch of LR from someone on here that had quite a bit of Aptasia. All the aptasia is gone. I got this tip from Sean @ F&F. It worked great for me because I was setting up a new system. If you don't have the ability to take the rocks out, then this probably won't help much.

I also have had success with peppermint shrimp, I bought 2 for my 12 gallon apuapod that was basically a full all out Aptasia tank and they cleared 99.9% of them. Unfortunately in my 33 I currently have a red coris wrasse so the peppermint that are in there never come out unless it is night time so they don't have the opportunity to do as well of a job but they have managed to keep it under control. :)

Pepperment shrimp really work x2..

you can borrow the shrimp which will eat the aptasia from members..

well, be careful when you introduce the shrimp to your tank..they are very sensitive to PH level..

good luck~

Joe's Juice works very well. The problem is that if you don't find all of them, they'll come back. So you will need some type of biological control to help.

Here is something that works GREAT. If you can take the rock out, put it in a bucket of water with 1.040 salinity with a heater and powerhead. Do this for about two weeks. I also suggest nuking as many as you can with Joe's Juice before putting it in the bucket. I bought a bunch of LR from someone on here that had quite a bit of Aptasia. All the aptasia is gone. I got this tip from Sean @ F&F. It worked great for me because I was setting up a new system. If you don't have the ability to take the rocks out, then this probably won't help much.

Man... that's salty. But will it kill any attached corals as well?? Beneficial bacteria?? Starfish and worms? Feather dusters?

bob