Coral Hind's 600g FOWLR

Coral Hind

I normally don't do build threads but several members who have moved out of the area have asked me to so they can follow it, here it goes. On September 25th I placed an order for a custom made arcylic tank that is 96" x 48" x 30". The tank will sit in the garage and be viewable from the basement. I have always been more of a fish lover than a coral guy and I really wanted a tank to house some large fish like rays, sharks, and our large 10" Vlamingii tang that we have had for about six years.

I originally had a 210g on one side of the wall and a rack of eight frag and QT tanks in the garage. I moved everything from my 210g into a rubbermaid tub and started the tear down. After the tear down I started to price up steel stands or wood and steel H beams. Then I decided to go wood only since my dad owns a saw mill, that means free wood!! So I took a road trip to WV to get the lumber for the project. I picked out some nice ten footers of 4" x 4" and 4" x 6" red oak timbers. These babies were heavy!!

SawMill.jpg

Here is the wall opening and construction of the stand being started. I had to move some electrical around but now I have two circuits feeding the new tank. I am keeping the 75g you see here as a QT for the new system.

StandLayout.jpg

Here is the completed stand made of 4" x 4" legs supporting three 4" x 6" beams. The original stud wall had additional 2" x 4" studs added to it and a top plate added, that supports the front edge of the tank. On top I placed a 3/4" sheet of plywood with a sheet of 1/2" insulation on top of that. Because I have helped moved tanks for people and there were problems with the insulation sliding around I decided to glue the insulation onto the plywood with Super 77 spray glue.

StandCompleted.jpg

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I plan to have a 150g Rubbermaid sump with my existing ASM G-6X skimmer in it. The return pump will be a new Reeflo Dart. I love my Water Blaster 10000 but I didn't think it had the flow I needed so I am moving to the bigger pump.

This is going to be amazing! Still going to do corals with the big fish? Any idea of a stock list?

No corals are planned, just a fish only system.

I currently have the following in the 150g tub or 75g QT. Most of these fish are rescue fish and not all are perfect looking but that adds to their character:
Vlamingii Tang
Yellow Tang x 2
Niger Trigger
Picasso Trigger
Melanurus Wrasse
Snowflake Eel
Black Ribbon Eel

On the look out for the following to add but would like to find fish needing a bigger tank or new home instead of a fresh wild caught one:
Sharks

Rays

holy &*^&*%. Who is making that tank?

Tank was ordered from a guy in FL and it arrives tomorrow between noon and 1pm. The price was right on with Adam's Artfully Acrylic but the club's orders have him pretty booked and I wanted this tank quickly.

Very cool. I'm looking forward to both this one and when you cover that swimming pool and turn it into a shark tank ;)

VERY nice, i was hoping yuo would do this, wood looks great and sounds like you could go swimming too.

Is it glass or acrylic?

Very cool idea with the rescue fish,

Is it glass or acrylic?

It is acrylic, 3/4" thichness, no built in overflows to provide more swimming space. I went with acrylic as it is 50% lighter than glass, insulates 20% better than glass, which helps since it is located in the garage, seams are welded so less likely to leak with age like glass, and the high transparency like low iron glass but without the cost. Since I will not be doing a full SPS reef I can limit lighting some to hopefully reduce algae build up on the tank walls which might prevent some scratches during cleaning.

It is acrylic, 3/4" thichness, no built in overflows to provide more swimming space. I went with acrylic as it is 50% lighter than glass, insulates 20% better than glass, which helps since it is located in the garage, seams are welded so less likely to leak with age like glass, and the high transparency like low iron glass but without the cost. Since I will not be doing a full SPS reef I can limit lighting some to hopefully reduce algae build up on the tank walls which might prevent some scratches during cleaning.

Will this be your first acrylic tank?