Coral Hind's 600g FOWLR

Coral Hind

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

I must say that there are times when I miss the corals but I am enjoying the extra free time I have now. I cleaned the glass yesterday for the third time since it was set up six weeks ago. So once every two weeks is pretty go.

I permanently hung the LED light rig last week. The frame is made out of Unistrut and the long ones are 6' footers. I mounted 6 of the 19w blue Ecoxotic Panarama Pro modules and two security light fixtures that I removed the motion sensors from. They are only 28w each at 5,200 kelvin. The total wattage of the fixture is 170w and it covers the 8' tank nicely. I am really impressed by the security lights so far. Some mushrooms, ricordia, and zoas in the tank seem to be doing fine under them. I mounted Unistrut onto the ceiling to span the joists and that also allows me to slide the whole fixture towards the wall if I need to but it is actually up high enough that I doubt it will be needed.

LEDlights.jpg

LEDsecuritylight.jpg

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they are that high up, maybe it's just the angle. The metal light frame is 17" above the water's surface. The bottom of the security light is 10.5" above the water. If anyone needs some Unistrut to build a frame like this let me know because I have several ten footers in the shed.

Here is a video I took this afternoon that shows what the tank looks like with the lights over it. Ignore the nasty cyano, it popped up shortly after the tank was setup but it is slowly going away. I'm sure me over feeding the tank isn't helping much. Check out my new 2 1/2" spanish hogfish that loves to clean the larger fish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVIQsgL57v4

Here is a side picture I took today to show that the rock is actually set off from the back pane by a foot. I did that so when I get a shark it will be able to swim around the tank better.

Sideview.jpg

The metal channel weighs .87 pounds per foot. I just weighed the whole luminaire and it was 21 pounds. If you decide to build one let me know, I have lots of channel.

Looks great Dave...we have a Stars and Stripes dogface at the store if you're interested...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for giving him a new home. I miss that guy.

I miss hime already too. What a great fish with lots of personality. Can't wait to see how he likes an extra 400g to swim around in!!

I swear I recognize 1 or 2 of the fish in there LOL just call your tank the fish relocation program :cheers:

Here is a video I took a couple days ago of my Polleni grouper getting a cleaning from the cleaner wrasse. When I added the cleaner wrasse I didn't think it was going to go well since I've added larger feeder fish in the past that didn't last more then a few seconds, but none of the groupers or triggers went after it. In fact they instantly followed it around begging to get cleaned.

I swear I recognize 1 or 2 of the fish in there LOL just call your tank the fish relocation program :cheers:

Yeah, there are several of your fish in there. Some of the smaller ones were re-homed to fellow members Jan, Steveoutlaw, and Fazio. Taking in the large fish that had out grown their current tank was the plan from the beginning.

Wow, David that tank looks amazing!!

That feels special coming from Mr. TOTM!

Yeah, there are several of your fish in there. Some of the smaller ones were re-homed to fellow members Jan, Steveoutlaw, and Fazio. Taking in the large fish that had out grown their current tank was the plan from the beginning.

That feels special coming from Mr. TOTM!

Beginners luck, you've been doing this a lot longer than me, and its awesome!!

I think he likes being able tostretch his fins and get up some speed. I almost feel this tank isn't big enough now.

Hopefully they make friends. Who knows, you may have a male and a female there........put a little Barry White on and see what happens.

Awsome video of the clearner Dave.

And thanks so much again for bringing the skimmer by for me. I appreciated it a lot!

• 4 weeks later...