Leishman

Acro Blood Bath: No its not some new trendy acro from Jason Fox, Shane Becker or MattV.  It's my tank crash.

Started losing acros on Saturday night.  Did some fragging and thought nothing of it.  Trident readings were inline with Hanna and Salifert.  TDS at 0. (2 post RO. 0 after DI) SG 1.026 temp 77-78.  No stray voltage.

It was fast and hit every acro over the next 72 hours.  I've done two 40g water changes as acro flesh is floating round like i just fed the tank!  Changing filter socks ever 12 hours.  Added carbon.  It's ugly.

Montis, Cyphastreas, acans, hammers and softies all look good.  Fish are spooked, but alive and eating.

Display and frag tank are all one system. 

With all the nightmares 2020 has delivered, my reaction to the crash is muted. There are far worse things groining on right now.

Brighter days ahead.

Stay safe people.

Saw your FB post and thought it must have been temp since I didn’t see it addressed. Edit: But in your post above its normal.

Do you have anemones in the tank? I had a RBTA wipe out my green pocillopora colony to a bone white skeleton overnight last week. I wonder if one instance of RTN caused by something like an anemone sting could snowball out of control.

Hypothesis that stung coral flesh turns into infection and then RTN throughout the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man, sorry to hear that Rik.  When you get stabilized let me know.  I'm still in the process of recovering but should have some frags for you.  

Thanks for all the PMs offering frags. That’s one thing I love about the reefing community, always willing to help others. 

For now I’m not going to add anything. Just need to have this play out while I try to figure out what happened. 

Just got home and now I have cyano bloom starting on the sandbed.  Will syphon it out tomorrow and do another 40g water change. That, or hit the case of Draught Guinness in the beer fridge. 

Sorry to hear this!!  Hopefully the fish make it.  Just as others said, if you need some frags if you ever find yourself nearby Manassas got you covered. 

Luckily I just got some of your hot acros. I got you when you’re ready to bounce back my man.

I know the feeling, sometimes reef lyfe be that way

So sorry to hear this Rik, if you ever determine what happened let us know.  I had a similar event happen to me tenish years ago, all acros dead, but lps happy as can be.  I determined mine to be a sudden drop in alk caused by a blockage in my calcium reactor.....once one started to rtn it became a domino event.  To this day, I won’t use a calcium reactor for dosing.....

Darren

Sorry to hear that and like others have said let us know when you are ready and I’ll get some frags ready for you.

1 hour ago, Leishman said:

AE9D9015-27DF-4079-9F47-BC3252195471.jpeg

12D89FD8-5264-4335-A495-5CE8E1F001B0.jpeg

Wow this is sad ? Hope you figure out the cause of this soon.

• 2 months later...

Wow that’s a massive loss. Hope everything left is doing well and healing up.

Truly sorry for you.  It is obvious from prior pics and video how much time and effort went into the tank.

I don't have anything exotic for acros but have alot of the basic acros- so reach out if you need frags when you feel the tank is ready.

Good luck.