Weazl's 50g mixed, uhh, something

madweazl

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@madweazl You OCD is killing me Bro!!! Looking good.

Why whatever do you mean... LOL.

Was time to beef up the CUC. Hopefully the skrimp take care of the two aiptasia I have (the mother ship just hatched a baby).

Capture_zpsvsnhjq1i.jpg

I don't remember if I said this before, but I really like your aquascape.  Looks very natural coming out of the sandbed like that.  Almost more like a freshwater Iwagumi tank than a typical stack of rocks like most reefs.

I don't remember if I said this before, but I really like your aquascape.  Looks very natural coming out of the sandbed like that.  Almost more like a freshwater Iwagumi tank than a typical stack of rocks like most reefs.

Thanks! I put a fair amount of thought into it; not sure if you saw the early posts in the thread but I was using PVC kind of like Legos to get a feel for the aquascape. I stuck to the basic plan (reversed it because my viewing angle changed from the previous house) with a few tweaks here and there. From the center, much of the left side structure is actually open inside like a large cave (never photographs well). There is a flat rock under the sand in the center of that little lagoon in the middle that is waiting for the perfect clam to catch my eye :)

I noticed the RBTA expel some zooxanthella last night. I'd recently read an article regarding clams expelling excess zooxanthella but had never observed this (the anemones color has remained consistent).

Increased the intensity of the daylight channel by 5% today for max intensities of 35% daylight and 40% actinic (hate the Windex appearance). I'll keep an eye on everything and hope nobody revolts. Also reduced the photo-period in the refugium to 14 hours; it was previously 18 hours (thought I had it at 16 but must have accidentally changed it at some point). That or my math just sucks...

Edited by madweazl

KH is dropping fast these days, definitely time for a doser. Water change last Friday had it back over 8 but it is back down to 6 already. I thought the torch had grown quite a bit recently and the coralline has certainly started to proliferate; guess it wasnt my imagination.

Results three hours after feeding:

PO4 - 11 (.011ppm)

Nitrate - undetectable

KH - 6-7

The freaks come out at night! Biggest one I've seen so far (other one I noticed was only about 2"). I think this is the first picture of the lone zoa as well (no idea what type).

worm_zpsuid6s3v5.jpg

Edited by madweazl

New kits (Salifert) arrived so I can get a better handle on the dosing.

KH - 7.0

Ca - 460

Mag - 1380

Looks like I have a small amount of balancing to do (I'll test the fresh mixed saltwater tomorrow) but not to bad. I use Reef Crystals and havent dosed anything since start up exactly four months ago.

CuC arrived today along with three peppermint shrimp. Shortly after adding them, there were four extra loud pops that came from the tiger pistol's lair. Hopefully I still have some peppermints...

Edited by madweazl

How's your chalk bass doing? How's it do with the yellow assessor? Still on the fence about my stock list but I currently have a tailspot blenny with a yellow assessor trio.

How's your chalk bass doing? How's it do with the yellow assessor? Still on the fence about my stock list but I currently have a tailspot blenny with a yellow assessor trio.

Chalk bass is doing great. The assessor stays in the rock work (only comes out when everyone else is sleeping, I typically see it in the mornings before the lights come on). At feeding time it will come to the mouth of a cave to eat but is otherwise extremely reclusive thus far. The chalk bass has a small area (about one cubic foot) on the opposite side of the tank that it hangs out in (I dont think the two have ever seen one another). It seems to enjoy the smaller cave systems that are over there. At feeding time it will get right in the fray and go to down. The anthias will chase it away occasionally but nobody else pays it any mind. Cool fish to observe and when you move up to check out the tank it will pop right out to greet you.

Wouldnt you know it, as soon as the lights went off he popped out. He just sits there, mocking me now.

(edited)

Two of the peppermint shrimp made it through the night (they stick together near the torch coral), havent seen the third yet.

Edited by madweazl

Dosed some baking soda (2.5 tsp to 8oz of freshwater) to increase the alkalinity but increased it much quicker than anticipated (up to 8.0 now from 7.0 in an hour or two). I dosed twice at roughly 2oz each time. I estimated total water volume at 72.5 gallons but I might have a little less than that (expected to see an increase between .5-.75 KH).

While checking things out, I noticed the meteor shower had already started to encrust the epoxy I used to affix it to the rock. I'd read that it grew quickly but I certainly didnt expect to see this much growth after six (not quite) days.

cor_zpsco6zbgji.jpg

(edited)

I started digging through the pictures to see if I could find a full tank shot at monthly intervals.

Day two (1 Jun 2016)

d2_zps0bndumh5.jpg

One month and nineteen days (18 Jul 2016)

1.5_zpscif5ckiq.jpg

Three months and two days (2 Sep 2016)

3m%202d_zpssivsrir2.jpg

Four months and one day (1 Oct 2016)

20161001_113744_zpsvnzaggc6.jpg

Edited by madweazl

A 1 dKH rise is not too much in my opinion. That's about as large a step as I'll take when needed, though.