Weazl's 50g mixed, uhh, something

madweazl

Does the side of the bucket say to mix to 1.026sg/35ppt to get 450 or something lower? I somehow recall they quote numbers and weights for something like 1.021.

They have three sets with 455 being the result for 1.026.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beautiful pictures. How did you get the white balance tuned so well?

BTW, 0.1 dKh of alk per day only reduces calcium by about 1 ppm per day. That's not much at all. It would be hard to get a consistent measurement daily. Perhaps weekly, but daily is unlikely. What are you using for your alk supplement? I wonder if your fish food has any calcium in it that might effectively be adding some at these low levels? Both calcium and magnesium are present in a lot of foods (though in varying concentrations). Normally it's not a huge effect but at such low alk usage levels, it may be relatively more significant.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

Beautiful pictures. How did you get the white balance tuned so well?

BTW, 0.1 dKh of alk per day only reduces calcium by about 1 ppm per day. That's not much at all. It would be hard to get a consistent measurement daily. Perhaps weekly, but daily is unlikely. What are you using for your alk supplement? I wonder if your fish food has any calcium in it that might effectively be adding some at these low levels? Both calcium and magnesium are present in a lot of foods (though in varying concentrations). Normally it's not a huge effect but at such low alk usage levels, it may be relatively more significant.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

In the camera settings there is a "Pro" mode that allows you to change a few more things. White balance was one of those and I selected 10k for that (highest option but I'm hoping there is an app that will open up some more). I used ISO 250 and an f stop of 1.7 which still allowed my to use 1/90 exposure (was hoping for 1/125 to stop action a little better). I really need to grab a macro for the dSLR (still havent grabbed the tripod out of storage).

After looking at what the salt mixes at for Ca, it is obviously being used. I was a little more diligent about getting everything exact last night and the tank water came out to 454ppm. That would show a drop of roughly 70ppm from fresh mixed so it's being used which makes me feel much more comfortable. I hadnt considered that until last night when I looked at the earlier posts. Also an interesting thought regarding the food; not something I ever would have considered.

Looking awesome! Great pictures :)

(edited)

Sorry Origami, I missed the question regarding alkalinity supplement; I'm using baking soda until the calcium comes down to the range desired (I'm shooting for about 420).

Picked up a Reef Raft Wolverine over the weekend (tiny but I'll work on getting a decent picture) along with a couple other sticks (currently unknown so perhaps I can get some ID help as I get pictures posted later).

I begrudgingly performed some maintenance on the sump this morning. The skimmer really needs a complete tear down and bleach (rather unsightly right now) but I was lazy and cleaned the cup and reachable neck/body. Foam block in the bubble trap was getting pretty nasty so I cleaned it up too (released a lot of pods from the refugium area I'm sure so that will make some display critters happy). It was time to replace the carbon so the reactor is getting a thorough cleaning. Nothing exciting this morning but necessary (and better than putting everything off until I have to do it all at once). 

It looks like I'll probably have to add another Kessil (160) to provide a little more coverage where I placed the new SPS; they're about 8-9" below the water line and two are on the perimeter of what I'd call adequate coverage. I'll give it a week and move forward with a plan after some more observation.

Maintenance performed (easier for me to find later):

Skimmer cup drained/cleaned (need complete tear down soon).

Carbon replaced and reactor bleached.

Bubble trap foam cleaned.

Edited by madweazl

(edited)

Broke out the dSLR (Pentax Kr with the kit 18-55). White balance is still off quite a bit but I was able to get things pretty close with some post processing.

29778492263_d16d7c327c_b.jpg

Edit: Getting really close now (no post processing).

30113347330_51db2d5148_b.jpg

Third times the charm for color but I still need to work on the exposure (too much grey).

30410679845_6009a005bc_b.jpg

Above image with some post processing.

30374696466_d1ab69f691_b.jpg

Undata with no post processing. Need some tweaks in the blue/green range but the reds are really close (for this monitor anyways).

29778929773_1aaecdbfbc_b.jpg

And after a little work.

30410680785_37921a9507_b.jpg

Edited by madweazl

(edited)

Maintenance performed:

Dosed 1.5 tsp baking soda (current level 7.28) to top off water. This should raise dKH to approximately 8.25. Ca still 455...

Edited by madweazl

I have the Curve 5 dialed in nicely but couldnt resist temptation and bought a Deltec 1350; hopefully I get it dialed in quicker than the Bubble Magus.

Maintenance performed:

Changed Kessil Intensity from a slope of 50% (four hours) back to a parabola with 40% max intensity because the duncan has closed up. It also got hit with bubbles when the sump ran a little low which has caused it to close up in the past. This time it has been closed longer than past bubble encounters, presumably from the lighting change. Everything else seems to be responding very well to the Kessils.

I was updating the first post with the current equipment and started looking at what my initial plans were. I was pretty surprised just how close I've come to the initial plan just by dumb luck really. Even my fish stock list isnt too far off what I had planned early on. Now I just need that large aquarium (definitely with different dimensions though).

(edited)

Any zoa/paly gurus around? Have this lone zoa but have no clue what it is. Pink ring on a deep purple base. Hasnt developed any tentacles at the perimeter. Little guy is tiny, sorry about the picture quality. 

30387712931_ff1359c63d_b.jpg

Edited by madweazl