Weazl's 50g mixed, uhh, something

madweazl

(edited)

If I run into problems, one will get re-homed because I just dont have the space to keep a harem. The male is eating Rod's Reef like crazy but I havent witnessed the female actually eat anything yet. Hopefully that will change with tonight's feeding. 

anthias2_zpsbeemrpqs.jpg

Edited by madweazl

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(edited)

Got one of the relay boxes finished up. Panel has been finish sanded and will get its first coat of paint shortly. 

box2_zpsebhwf5nd.jpg

box%201_zpsjfuzrm9k.jpg

box3_zpstg4hxyjk.jpg

Edited by madweazl

(edited)

Got the panel painted and installed; pretty happy with how it turned out and I really like the white on the relay box compared to the original black. I still need to pick up some grommets to clean up the holes in the panel.

panel3_zpss73ghv8r.jpg

Edited by madweazl

Glad she started eating.  I'm nervous about getting anthias because they apparently like to nibble all day long, and I never hear of people keeping them successfully for years, but they sure are pretty.

Glad she started eating.  I'm nervous about getting anthias because they apparently like to nibble all day long, and I never hear of people keeping them successfully for years, but they sure are pretty.

They eat like crazy, I cant believe how much. I was doing twice a day but I'm going to start introducing flake and pellet over the next week to see if they will take that so I can set up some smaller auto feedings throughout the day. They ate so much tonight it was insane. 

Awesome.  One friend out here had good success with the Sustainable Aquatics breeder pellets, 0.5mm size for his anthias.  He set them on an autofeeder and dropped small amounts many times per day.

(edited)

Thanks, I'll look into those. They definitely prefer the larger pieces of food in the Rod's mix.

I havent used a skimmer in years but think it will be a must with these guys in there. 

Edited by madweazl

(edited)

Green algae is starting to take over (cant see it yet I know); always cool to see the metamorphosis, even if it isnt "pretty." 

algae_zpsd0njiptq.jpg

Speaking of pretty, I found a way to finish off the sump! They arent too expensive and will match the red PVC and keep everything looking really clean down there. 

cablered_zpsiypw4yxx.jpg

Edited by madweazl

(edited)

The refugium starter pack arrived today along with the carbon reactor. Still not sure how exactly I want to plumb this (I have the MJ1200 too); the DC6000 is plenty of pump to do it and the return but I'm not sure how consistent the return flow to the DT is going to be if I make the manifold. Decisions decisions...

refugium_zpsqjbenz3i.jpg

reactor_zpslmzhqobf.jpg

Edited by madweazl

Finished up a water change and connected the carbon reactor (carbon doesnt arrive until Sunday :blast: ). That little MJ1200 sure is loud for its diminutive size! The anthias are still doing well but sheesh, all they want to do is eat eat eat! Not sure I can afford to keep the little suckers in there!. Not only do they eat a lot, they brought a lil friend with them in the form of ich (showed up the day after they did). Hopefully it clears up without incident; a shame because I want to add another inmate this week but cant :(

You might check on the MJ1200 to see if there is a missing bushing or something.  I have a few pretty ancient ones and I find them to be almost totally silent.  

(edited)

You might check on the MJ1200 to see if there is a missing bushing or something.  I have a few pretty ancient ones and I find them to be almost totally silent.  

Today it is nice and quiet! Looks like it just needed a little time for the moving bits to seat and break in. 

On another note, I decided it was time to fix an eye-sore. When I had purchased the controller everything worked great but the USB-TTL connector had been damaged and repaired by the original owner. At $25-30 for a replacement, it is easy to see why you'd want to fix it if at all possible. 

con1_zpsksft4ixq.jpg

My other main hobby is radio controlled vehicles and over the years, I've had to make replacement cables and/or adapters for just about every small connector imaginable. I was pretty sure there were some female pins in my pit bag and as luck would have it, there were six (no margin for error)! 

con2_zpsyijahday.jpg

It cleaned up well and is good as new.

con3_zpsoktmbqzz.jpg

Edited by madweazl

That is the cleanest reef angel install I've seen. Most look like barf since the system tends to attract diy enthusiasts without your attention to detail.

(edited)

After soldering the headers to the new float sensors, I had to do something to clean it up.

float_zpszqommuwf.jpg

cab4_zpshx9po2sm.jpg

I had some red PETG sleeving that I ended up not using on my current PC build

cab3_zpsfqp5uy3g.jpg

Much better!

cab1_zpsi45fpu9m.jpg

Edited by madweazl

Looks like the SBReef black boxes will be here Thursday. I ordered the 3.5mm plugs, cables, and three pin connectors a while back, now I just have to hope the units arrive with the same connectors I purchased (seems to be hit and miss which ones are actually installed at the manufacturer).

The skimmer (Bubble Magus Curve 5) is pretty close to dialed in now and collecting some nasty. I have a pretty ugly wire management gaggle going on right now as I'm waiting for the lights to tidy everything else up (it's making me twitch just looking at the picture). They better get here Thursday; not sure I can hold out much longer...

bmc5_zpsogjoc3qz.jpg

Nothing much exciting today. Did a 20g water change, ordered 12, red power cables to clean up the appearance, and replaced the filter sock. Fresh mixed RO/DI yields a pH of 8.12 and dKH of 13.5 here with Instant Ocean (78°). 

The SBReef basic boxes arrived today. The enclosures are what you'd expect to see for the price paid; one of mine is decent but the other is beat up (not from shipping as the boxes were fine). The fit and finish of the enclosure is terrible but I knew going in that I wasnt paying for that. While ugly as sin, they work just fine which is what I was after (I contacted them and I'm sure they'll do something to try and make it right but turn around time for another white unit just isnt feasible) . My HVAC duct work runs right above the tank so they cant be hung from the ceiling and my canopy is too short for decent dispersion if I mount them inside. This leaves hanging them from the wall, use the included tank mounts, or buy/make a taller canopy (what I'd prefer to prevent light creeping into the room but I hate the look of tall canopies).

light2_zpsko3a2upe.jpg

light3_zpsjldo7udk.jpg

The one thing that really concerned me was this booger joint but it seems to work just fine (this is also on the more beat up box).

light1_zpsznshdkdu.jpg