Weazl's 50g mixed, uhh, something

madweazl

A 1 dKH rise is not too much in my opinion. That's about as large a step as I'll take when needed, though. 

I had intended on spreading that out across at least six hours. I didnt see any adverse affects today but I didnt have any reason to jump that far that quickly either. Just caught me a little by surprise but now I know (first time dosing baking soda). Drop to pH was next to nothing (typically .02 every 2oz dose).

Checking some Reef Crystals that I'd mixed up the other day I was pretty surprised by the the calcium levels:

SG - 1.0255

Temp 75°

Ca - 500+

KH - 9.3

Mg - 1365

Based on that, I can see why my Ca levels are around 460. Mg and alkalinity levels are expected but the Ca is considerably higher than desired. Water changes will probably just exacerbate the Ca imbalance so I'll just observe the next few weeks and try to maintain a KH around 8.5 for now. Current Ca is around 460 but once it drops to around 420 I'll start dosing equal parts.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wasnt in the market but I came across a deal on a Kessil A360WE (tuna) that I just couldnt pass up today. I wont be able to get another to match until next week but there is a chance I'll be able to use these with my existing canopy. This would put the light roughly 8.5" above the water line which might be just enough to get the coverage I need (keeping my fingers crossed).

On another note, I snapped a shot with all the fish visible (gotta really look for one of them). How many can you find?

all9_zpst5dyum0s.jpg

Hard to see from my phone but just to the right of the torch under the purple rock #9?

Yep! That is the yellow assessor. He hangs out in the same tunnel structure as the goby/pistol. Sure wish it would spend some time in the open; they spend so much time swimming upside down and sideways (so cool to watch).

(edited)

Took a trip down to Richmond Aquarium today but it was kind of depressing. They had Kessils over the coral tanks but they're mounted about three feet off the water (PAR has to be dismal at that height). Lots of aiptasia growing in all of the tanks along with nuisance algae (lots of neglect). Was really hoping to find another nice shop but was rather disappointed. I did find a cleaner shrimp that made its way home with us though :)

20161003_182350_zpsiakzca04.jpg

Edited by madweazl

That's probably the worst of the shops in Richmond... have you been to the others? There are actually two nice shops...

No, this was our first time to Richmond. Only knew about because a friend had mentioned it. What are the others?

Ok well if you come back please look up Tiki corals... super super clean shop with awesome coral selection and great prices... only a few fish but really good corals..

The other is called fish world...tons of fish and a couple HUGE display tanks that are pretty impressive... a little pricey on most stuff but usually has a nice selection of fish and corals...

There is also Chester aquaria which is in Chester.. nice shop too with good selection..

These three shops are leaps and bounds better than Richmond Aquarium.. RA will have a few things randomly that are ok.. but usually I only go there if I happen to pass by... Tiki and Fish World are worth a trip

Just read through the whole thread, I love what you did with the stand.... and everything else.  Makes me want to do more DIY .. :D 

(edited)

Just read through the whole thread, I love what you did with the stand.... and everything else.  Makes me want to do more DIY .. :D 

I was in a unique situation where I actually had some time to do things the way I've wanted to for years. The DIY stuff can be very rewarding (wish I had the skills to do my own lighting etc.). The only missing part of the equation was the lighting gaggle I had going on. I needed a taller canopy (mine is only 7") to cover the black box lighting that was 9" above the water (12" to the top of the plugs) but I didnt want a taller canopy (they look odd to me). I decided to switch over to the Kessils and if my math is correct, I should be able to mount them just 4" above the water and get the coverage I'm after. I'll drill holes through the canopy to accommodate the lights and will be able to raise them to 8" if need be but I'm pretty sure my math is right :)

Edited by madweazl

I was in a unique situation where I actually had some time to do things the way I've wanted to for years. The DIY stuff can be very rewarding (wish I had the skills to do my own lighting etc.). The only missing part of the equation was the lighting gaggle I had going on. I needed a taller canopy (mine is only 7") to cover the black box lighting that was 9" above the water (12" to the top of the plugs) but I didnt want a taller canopy (they look odd to me). I decided to switch over to the Kessils and if my math is correct, I should be able to mount them just 4" above the water and get the coverage I'm after. I'll drill holes through the canopy to accommodate the lights and will be able to raise them to 8" if need be but I'm pretty sure my math is right :)

I did a floating canopy mounted to the ceiling with wires on my 150, I thought it was pretty slick.

I did a floating canopy mounted to the ceiling with wires on my 150, I thought it was pretty slick.

That was my original plan with the black boxes but the A/C ducts run right above the tank. The floating canopy still wasnt going to address the light creep or the fact that I was going to be somewhat looking into the light while sitting in the chain observing the tank. It wasnt near as bad before I removed the optics on the LEDs but then the blending sucked on the LEDs.

(edited)

Retested KH today at 8.15 and Ca at 455. Only one day of data right now but it looks like KH dropped ~1.5-3. I added about .5g of fresh saltwater mix yesterday because of the shrimps acclimation process so that will muddy the numbers a bit. I'll continue to monitor the rest of the week and should have a good idea of what is being consumed. Best guess right now is 1.5 KH and 1ppm CA daily on a total volume of 72.5g (based on dosing this appears to be exceptionally close).

Also did some gonkulating and it looks like I can drop the lights to 4" above the water line and still cover 44" at the bottom (outer dimensions of my rock structure). Cant wait to start testing.

Edited by madweazl

(edited)

I spent some time messing with the placement of the Kessils over the tank today. I downloaded a simple LUX app on the cell phone and took some measurements. With the Kessil on the lowest setting, it produced 6000-6100 LUX at approximately 4.5" below the light. The SBReef 16" basic boxes produced 5700-5900 LUX at approximately 8.5" below the light (about as close as I could get them). The coverage of the Kessil really caught me by surprise. After reading a lot of posts on various forums I had some concerns about their realistic coverage until I watched

. After mocking them up over the tank, I was blown away by the coverage, shimmer, and color (set at approximately 70%). The anemone is roughly two inches right of center in the tank.

SBReef 16" basic box 9" above water (right side SBReef on)

reg_zpsd0eubaow.jpg

Kessil A360WE 5" above water line (right side SBReef on). The Kessil is mounted 8.5" left of center.

kes_zpsz7phmt1u.jpg

SBReef left, Kessil right.

exif_zps88zzuyc8.jpg

With the placement worked out, I got to work on getting the canopy ready for the lights. Had to run over to the hardware store to get a hole saw (4 1/8"); those suckers get exponentially more expensive after about 2 1/2"!

canopy_zpsvyygpc9s.jpg

The holes came out exceptionally clean! I had absolutely no splintering, not sure how I pulled that off (pretty sure it was because of the Red Gard and paint on the underside).

can2_zpskctyr41s.jpg

I still need to figure out how I'm going to retain them in the canopy. I have a few ideas but I'm not sure I like any of them yet.

Edited by madweazl

Picked up a few beautiful frags from epleeds this evening. He has some great stuff! Wasnt able to get a decent picture of the Cali Tortuosa.

Copps rainbow undata

undata2_zpsjpbjit8r.jpg

Jason Fox Jack-O-Lantern

jack_zpsqe0yznur.jpg

nice.  I've always really liked the jack-o-lantern.

That rainbow unduata looks a lot like the pics I've seen of jedi mind trick monti.  Are they the same thing?

(edited)

nice.  I've always really liked the jack-o-lantern.

That rainbow unduata looks a lot like the pics I've seen of jedi mind trick monti.  Are they the same thing?

I dont know enough about montis to be remotely useful in this but it looks like the jedi mind trick has two colors at the growth ring vice the single of the Copp's.

Edited by madweazl

Ordered a cheap LUX meter on Amazon and did some testing with it today. The SBReefs at their lowest setting (roughly 10% intensity) measured 5,410 LUX @6.5" and 31,900 LUX at 100%. At 4", the Kessil measured 38,200 LUX at its lowesting setting and 116,400 LUX at 100%. At 6.5", the Kessil measures 12,300 LUX at their lowest intensity and 44,100 LUX at 100%. All measurements were taken with both channels driven at 100% (daylight and actinic for the SBReef and "Color" for the Kessil). I have the Kessil mounted 4.75" above the water line and the SBReefs were mounted 9" above the water line.

I need to paint everything but I made the cradles to suspend the lights. I need to find some grommets for the top of the canopy to make that nice and clean still too (I'm thinking port covers for speaker boxes will probably work out pretty well). The hardware isnt stainless but is cheap, off the shelf stuff at the local hardware store so it's easily replaced. The lights sit 4.75" above the water line and the coverage comes just under the center brace of the aquarium just as planned.

kes2_zps7hmucfzq.jpg

kes1_zpstbpseaao.jpg