• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

MIssed the January full tank shot shot and I'm heading out of town again so I'll miss February's as well but I thought I'd post some updated pictures. Everything has rebounded exceptionally well and there is a lot of new growth in a short period of time.

The monti has almost encrusted all of the original skeleton and also has a substantial amount of new growth. Color is almost back to normal (a few lighter areas left).

32885228642_8e4e63ff60_h.jpg

The Jason Fox Jack-O-Lantern took a big hit and hadnt shown any growth at until about two weeks ago. It has now encrusted the epoxy that was built up around the base and has grown on to the rock to the left and all behind it as well. Color is much improved from just a week ago but still has a ways to go.

33041040995_f73791d7e7_h.jpg

The meteor shower weathered the storm pretty well but polyp extension was poor. The polyps in the center of the plug are still closed up but have started to reopen the last week. Growth on the other hand has been ridiculous; it has spread out like a weed the last week. While it is difficult to see in the picture, if you look below the main plug and to the left you can see it really spreading out onto the rest of the rock around it.

32885228752_b2f5123bd1_h.jpg

The toadstool didnt have any issues with the water conditions but the growth between it and the pipe organ that was close to it spawn some warfare. The toadstool was winning the fight and I had to move it (now pretty much dead center in the tank and hard to photograph). Polyp extension and color is fantastic though.

33041041115_954e6c5889_h.jpg

I picked up a purple scroll a month or so ago. Growth on it has been quite good the past week as well.

33041041255_a8a5cb925f_h.jpg

On a sad note, the anthias died a couple of weeks ago. The previous eye bulge had cleared up and she was looking and eating great again but but about two weeks ago she got the eye bulge yet again and died two days later. The jawfish moved over to the same side of the tank as the pistol and goby and they had it out, big time! I've never heard the pistol snap so loud! That night I saw the jawfish out on the sandbed; one of his eyes was filled with blood and it had been beaten up really bad. I figured he'd be gone by morning. Days had gone by and I couldnt find him. About a week later he popped up digging a new burrow around the center of the tank; he still looked a bit rough but was still kicking. He looks much better now (back to normal) but is exceptionally timid and not coming out for food much; hopefully he gets back in the groove and starts eating normally. I'd hate to lose him; such a character! He is now back on the far right side of the tank where there is no quarreling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fully recovered. The mystery acro has also recovered and has some new growth but it almost impossible to photograph. Might have to try dropping the phone in the tank to get a picture because I dont have any glass for the dSLR to take a good one.

33495053816_763b041eae_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is the mystery acro; it literally had no signs of life with an entirely exposed skeleton. I was about to remove it from the tank a while back but notice a touch of pink up at the top of it. Using an H2Ocean nanoscope, I was able to observe what looked like some living tissue so I I left it in there. I held little hope that it would hang on but it actually took off an re-encrusted the entire skeleton and subsequently the base of the plug. I have never observed this before and have not heard of it happening either. Anyone else have similar experience?

32919551314_41afa9e012_b.jpg

This is the mystery acro; it literally had no signs of life with an entirely exposed skeleton. I was about to remove it from the tank a while back but notice a touch of pink up at the top of it. Using an H2Ocean nanoscope, I was able to observe what looked like some living tissue so I I left it in there. I held little hope that it would hang on but it actually took off an re-encrusted the entire skeleton and subsequently the base of the plug. I have never observed this before and have not heard of it happening either. Anyone else have similar experience?

32919551314_41afa9e012_b.jpg

No clue but look at those colors! That's a cool piece. Not that I'm versed in all the rare and cool acros but it's cool nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, wish I had a clue as to what it is.

Looks kind of like a red planet when they're small and mostly green. Same kind of branching formation. Not that I really know much about high end acros.. I prefer the cheap stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

Was able to use the groups PAR meter for some measurements this week (awesome service to have available). The tank is lit by two Kessil A360s that are mounted 5" above the water. Upper most readings were measured just below the water surface directly under the lights. Color is set to 65% and intensity is 40% (on a parabola that maxes at 4pm). Measurements were taken at 65% color and 39% intensity. It's been about a month since I last cleaned the back wall; I've been lazy (don't judge me LOL). 

34304155366_5ee1ab18e9_o.jpg

Edited by madweazl

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a while since I checked alkalinity and with all of the growth, I figured it would probably be a good idea to do so.

dKH - 6.94

PO4 - .028

NO3 - 5-10

Looks like it is time to step up the baking soda (I've been trying to maintain 8.0) and vodka (currently 1.3ml/day) dosing a bit. 

(edited)

Polyp extension on the scroll is always great. If you look close, you'll spot some clear flatworms roaming around on it. They have been there since I purchased the coral and have never irritated it (or eaten that I can see). 

33738126034_cc8e122b64_h.jpg

Edited by madweazl

Hasn't grown much longer in length but the base sure is spreading out; sure wish I knew what it was. 

34153067670_5d76bab62b_h.jpg

That's HOT!  Definitely not a red planet. Red planet has large "cup esque" coralites. vs this is more rounded and tight around the polyp.  Once it grows out more it should be easier to identify the species.

It's not as red as it appears in this picture (at least on this monitor), it is more of an intense pink. I looked at it last night and noticed the base had spread to the end of the rock on the left (little over 1/8" in a couple of days). It is amazing how fast they can grow once they get comfortable.