Tinpanvs'a 29 BioCube

Tinpanva

It's not new, about 2.5 years old, just thought I would share a few shots from tonight. Sorry if you follow me on other forums, you'll see duplicates.

Last FTS

IMG_6453_zpsf3502015.jpg

From tonight

IMG_6686_zpsc9053f7d.jpg

IMG_6675_zps369d4585.jpg

IMG_6681_zpsdf0aff86.jpg

IMG_6674_zps359b1146.jpg

IMG_6668_zpsa0119b11.jpg

IMG_6667_zpsedf370a6.jpg

IMG_6644_zps2b65065f.jpg

IMG_6640_zps22c9a04f.jpg

IMG_6633_zpsb5b426a0.jpg

IMG_6626_zps90d119f1.jpg

Thanks... that thing is packed pretty well.  One day... one day.  Ill probably buy my house once mine starts to fill in and have to start over..... bigger

Awesome tank. Does your BTA move around? Can you please share your maintenance routine/dosing?

No not at all, I was lucky enough to pick out a spot that gave him really good flow without being blasted so he's right where I put him. On the downside, he split on me in November I think it was and he came out the other side of the rock. He hasn't moved yet either but he is stinging the heck out of the zoas.

As far as dosing goes, I use the BRS 2 part for Calc and Alk. I have them on BSR 1.1ml/hr dosing pumps controlled by my reefkeeper. Not to bore you with the details, but I have each pump set on two seperate timers. Each pump has two 12 hour programs. I did it this way because my power grid isn't too reliable and in the event I have a short term outage or blip, the timer will restart on the next 12 hour program. Worst case senario is I loose a half a days dose unless it a large outage where I'll have to dose by hand. 

Normally I do a small (by hand) maintenance dose of Mag once a week, usually on Wednesdays which is half way between waterchanges. But right now I'm battling Bryopsis so I'm maintaining a high mag value. Everything else the tank needs comes from my salt (RSCP).

Awesome. Can u provide your light settings? I have hydra 52s as well.

Here is a link to my light file, keep in mind it's only a few days old and not completly dialed in just yet. Still looks a little too warm to me. Plus the added UV and Violet are new to me so these may change also. But here's the file anyway. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xlk1un02buu8l10/52%20Ver%201.aip?dl=0

Wow! love the tank and corals in it. I always liked the dimensions of biocube.

Awesome thanks for the response. I just set up a small 14 gallon nano and will try to keep up low tech. I had a major battle with bryopsis on my 120 a couple of years back. It took over my tank from what I believe to be phosphates from the dry rock. I only got rid of it with high mag but i had to keep it really high. I raised it to 1700 with brs mag and then used kent mag to 2300. Bryopsis is gone and has not come back since. Good Luck

I should add, I also started vodka dosing month ago, awesome results.

You should do a write up on vodka dosing.  

(edited)

You should do a write up on vodka dosing.

Wow, that would be a long post. It's that very subject that brought me to this forum. In a nutshell, my no3 has been high at 16+ppm for about a year. I'm not into chasing #s so I just let it go as my tank seemed to be doing fine. Long term, some issues started showing up so after exhausting all the usual things to reduce no3 failed I started looking into carbon dosing. At first I liked the idea of pellets but I didn't have room for a reactor. So even though Randy over on R2R was really suggesting vinegar, I like the purity of vodka and follow the guidelines in this writeup from the guys over at nano-reef.

http://saltwater-conversion.com/pages/carbon-dosing

I'm about a month into it, and without reducing feeding, continuing with bi-weekly coral feedings and added amino's, my no3 is down to 4ppm. I was quite the skeptic, but the tank is looking better then ever.

Edited by Tinpanva

Wow, that would be a long post. It's that very subject that brought me to this forum. In a nutshell, my no3 has been high at 16+ppm for about a year. I'm not into chasing #s so I just let it go as my tank seemed to be doing fine. Long term, some issues started showing up so after exhausting all the usual things to reduce no3 failed I started looking into carbon dosing. At first I liked the idea of pellets but I didn't have room for a reactor. So even though Randy over on R2R was really suggesting vinegar, I like the purity of vodka and follow the guidelines in this writeup from the guys over at nano-reef.

http://saltwater-conversion.com/pages/carbon-dosing

I'm about a month into it, and without reducing feeding, continuing with bi-weekly coral feedings and added amino's, my no3 is down to 4ppm. I was quite the skeptic, but the tank is looking better then ever.

Thanks for that.  I dont have a problem but its always good to expand what you know.

TOTM candidate right here! best bio cube I have seen....

Can you tell us more on which equipment you use and dosing additives?

Well, it's a 29 gallon HQI Bio-Cube. Heavly Modified and geeked out.

• HQI light removed, replaced with an AI Vega LED fixture, which was just upgradded with the new Hydra 52 LED pucks coltrolled by the AI Director.
  • MJ1200 return pump
  • Aquamaxx HOB-1 Skimmer (Chamber 1)
  • In-Tank Media Rack with flow director which contains - Filter floss (Top shelf), Purigen (middle) and bag of nuclear grade carbon and a bag of Rowaphos (Bottom)
  • In-Tank Fuge kit - Big ole ball of chaeto and tons of bugs and pods lit by Nano-Glow LEDs
  • Chamber 3 has ATO tube (Tunze Osomalator), dosing tubes for Calc and Alk which are ran by BRS 1.1ml/h pumps, and the heater (Hydor Theo 100w)
  • Flow is aquired by a pair of wireless MP-10's via the reeflink which rotates through 4 different modes during the day.
  • Entire system controlled by a DA ReefKepper Lite
  • 30lbs of live rock
  • 20 lbs Tropic of Eden Reef Flakes
  • 5 gallon waterchanges weekly, no excuses, never miss a water change.
  • I use Red Sea Coral Pro Salt weighed out at 675 grams per waterchange to maintain a consistant 1.026
  • APC 1000XL (x3) for the MP-10's and an APC Pro 1000 Backup for the lights or heater as needed.
  • RODI supplied by a BRS 5 stage filtration system controlled by a float switch in a 30 gal container.
  • Food - LRS Reef Frenzy - Nano
  • Coral Food - Coral Frenzy fed on Sundays with 5ml amino supplment & Reef Chilli fed on Wednesdays with 5ml amino suppliment.

I keep an on-line log of all my water testing on the Aquatic Log website, but I shoot for the following

• Temp 78
  • Salinity 1.026
  • pH 8ish
  • No3 - I shoot for minimal, but currently 4ppm and dropping
  • Ca 450
  • KH 8.5ish
  • Po4 .02
  • mg 1680 fighting bryopsis with Tech M

As mentioned, I'm dising Vodka for no3 reduction, and it;s working great.

Current Livestock

• Black and White Clown
  • Orange White Clown
  • Neon Dottyback
  • 6 line Wrasse
  • Flame Hawkfish

At last count about 85 different corals. Half a dozen hermits, couple of turbo snails and one nassarius snail.

I also have a small 7 gallon rimless quarantine tank, for all corals.

QT-S_zpsa1f3fcc7.jpg

Not the most recent picture, it now has a large chunk of live rock, side mounted frag rack, heater, a simple HOB filter, custum rapid LEDs, and a single wireless MP-10 controlled by reeflink also.

I think that about covers it, I know, I know, I have a reefing addiction and tendency to buy flashy do-dads, I can't help myself. I'm currently working on an upgrade to a 93 cube with a 40b sump that I will move most (if not all) these goodies to, but to be honest, I'm torn between starting fresh with that tank and just seeing where this little nano matures to, or a complete swap out.

Thanks for the details, love the tank. Never to much info. IMO. I would say keep the tank you have and built a new one if you have the space. Take anything that gets to big out, or frag larger pieces.