Here we go! Chuck's new build

flooddc

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LoL on the nagging side. 

I don't have any, that might be part of the problem! The house we bought was *almost* ready for immediate moving into. We elected to get the first floor floors sanded and stained before we moved in. Then the painting, fixing up drywall/plaster and a few odds and ends The top floor will eventually be the master suite, but for now we're living completely comfortable on the one level. 

My basement is very similar to yours, rafters, electric, "recessed" lighting, cement floor. Only difference is ALL of my brewing equipment is down there, and then ALL of my reef stuff (rubbermaid tubs included) are down there as well. I'm going to acid etch my cement floors first, and then frame out my office. Then electric, insulation, drywall, stand, tank, lights, all the good stuff. 

I'm starting to think I should have elected to go with some 2x4 stands and just build the tank in wall like you did. Either way, it looks great, you just need some couches to enjoy it from now! 

19 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

LoL on the nagging side. 

I don't have any, that might be part of the problem! The house we bought was *almost* ready for immediate moving into. We elected to get the first floor floors sanded and stained before we moved in. Then the painting, fixing up drywall/plaster and a few odds and ends The top floor will eventually be the master suite, but for now we're living completely comfortable on the one level. 

My basement is very similar to yours, rafters, electric, "recessed" lighting, cement floor. Only difference is ALL of my brewing equipment is down there, and then ALL of my reef stuff (rubbermaid tubs included) are down there as well. I'm going to acid etch my cement floors first, and then frame out my office. Then electric, insulation, drywall, stand, tank, lights, all the good stuff. 

I'm starting to think I should have elected to go with some 2x4 stands and just build the tank in wall like you did. Either way, it looks great, you just need some couches to enjoy it from now! 

Thanks Isaac!

Yeah, we were in similar situation. I wanted to keep the basement open for the kids to roam. opted to keep most of the wall concrete as well as the ceiling to be more industrial like. Although wound have love to be able to keep all the electrical wires and water pipes neat but they were all over. I searched online and lots basement ceiling opted out to just keep it bare and painted the ceiling over either black or white. I originally was going to have my basement floor acid etched and epoxied but it's uneven and much cheaper to just carpet it. Keeping it neat and clean is going to be a challenge. Good luck with your build! 

(edited)

ugh! just added another to do problem.

Has been trying to catch the fireclown fish for quite a while. Caught his mate Tomato clown with hook and bait last month.

Has tried trap, hook, night time and even use netting to block part of the tank and try to net it. All failed. So, I had this new idea a few day ago and drop in an anemone on it's own rock in the middle of open space to host it and perhaps catch it while he's hidden inside the anemone.  Well, a few days later it hosted the clownfish but also moved into the main rock structure. now it's going to be a pain to try to get it out let alone catching the clownfish. :facepalm1:

hmm! maybe making a miniature spear fishing next ;) 

49864070552_66baa706ce_w.jpgIMG_0143 by Chuck, on Flickr

49864070657_64610c7370_w.jpgIMG_0142 by Chuck, on Flickr

Edited by flooddc

On 5/6/2020 at 1:55 PM, flooddc said:

ugh! just added another to do problem.

Has been trying to catch the fireclown fish for quite a while. Caught his mate Tomato clown with hook and bait last month.

Has tried trap, hook, night time and even use netting to block part of the tank and try to net it. All failed. So, I had this new idea a few day ago and drop in an anemone on it's own rock in the middle of open space to host it and perhaps catch it while he's hidden inside the anemone.  Well, a few days later it hosted the clownfish but also moved into the main rock structure. now it's going to be a pain to try to get it out let alone catching the clownfish. :facepalm1:

hmm! maybe making a miniature spear fishing next ;) 

49864070552_66baa706ce_w.jpgIMG_0143 by Chuck, on Flickr

49864070657_64610c7370_w.jpgIMG_0142 by Chuck, on Flickr

okay! back down to one problem :biggrin:. Managed to catch the nem when it moved to the bare bottom glass. Now it's in the trap. Hopefully this will entice the clownfish to come inside the trap.

49884662536_d47209337c_z.jpgIMG_0181 by Chuck, on Flickr

• 4 weeks later...

49992914358_29f67329aa.jpgIMG_0358 by Chuck, on Flickr

49993433386_e50a1600ce.jpgIMG_0357 by Chuck, on Flickr

Tank update after clownfish eviction :biggrin:

Well, the two filefish done a great job with the majano, but also clean out my zoas (fortunately I was able to save my rasta). Ate all my nuclear green paly. Used to have several colonies with hundreds polyps. Now all gone! Also, discovered why my bicolor torch and white hammer are always closed up as well. Yup! the "filefish". Beside that, every else doing well. 

My friend also sent over a colony of superman and  orange mushrooms.

49993433266_459c5a3b4c.jpgIMG_0359 by Chuck, on Flickr

Anemone tank was also been cleared out a bit (sold 7 rainbow anemones)

49993685072_83742ababf.jpgIMG_0356 by Chuck, on Flickr

Making room for this. It's still small so it's will stay in the frag tank until it's big enough to house with the big cousins.

49992914218_39a70691b4.jpgIMG_0360 by Chuck, on Flickr

11 minutes ago, AlanM said:

Now you going to start trying to figure out how to trap the filefish?

? 

they are going to stay permanently! It’s a trade off for doing their job. I’ll just have to keep zoas elsewhere.

33 minutes ago, lynn.reef.nerd said:

Have you tried catching them at night? I caught both of mine that way.

Both of mine prefer acans. Destroyed 75% of acans :( .

LOL!

I don't need to remove them. Have had filefish before and they are pretty easy to catch.

• 2 weeks later...

Local reefer friend dropped off some goodies a few days ago. What's a great way to kickoff Summer!

Thank you @WheresTheReef

Many of my stick corals has been declining, too busy and lazy to hunt down for the source. One thing I noticed is my heliopora (blue  coral) is taking over the tank and suffocate any coral in it's path.  Can't believed such invasive coral is classified as endangered/vulnerable!

Anyway, here are the goodies :). enjoy and Happy Summer reefing WAMAS friends.

50037392127_3218865b23.jpgIMG_0405 by Chuck, on Flickr

50036588488_28e641a7b8.jpgIMG_0406 by Chuck, on Flickr

50037391892_e9d8f9b1f0.jpgIMG_0408 by Chuck, on Flickr

50036588388_28625619fa.jpgIMG_0407 by Chuck, on Flickr

50037391812_cf88a59143.jpgIMG_0411 by Chuck, on Flickr

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Keep telling myself not to buy anymore fish. But since I evicted the tomato and fire clowns I can't resist these bullet holes clownfish :biggrin:

They have quite strange behavior the first few days. kept swimming against the powerhead. Here a video.

Edited by flooddc

Cleaned my tanks and powerheads last night and decided to make a quick tanks video update. corals doing fine except the white hammer colony which the 2 filefish continue to nipped on.  Oh! notice a beautiful giant aiptasia near the end of the video :laugh:.

Can't show the video without my favorite tank organizer.

34 minutes ago, Cliff Puckstable said:

That octospawn got huge. I like those engineer gobys. I had one in my first sw tank. I loved watching him make tunnels. 

yeah, however my euphyllia doesn't grow as fast as they used too and occasionally lose a head or two. Maybe I am losing my green-thumb (reef-thumb :laugh:).