Here we go! Chuck's new build

flooddc

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you dosing at all? I bet you that will change things!

10 hours ago, monkiboy said:

Glad to hear of action and time to make it happen!

Thanks 

10 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Are you dosing at all? I bet you that will change things!

Only dose 2 parts. 

last night I went full speed on the tank and pulled out 2 massive rocks with heliopora on them. after pulled them out, i was letting the tank settled and suddenly heard a bang! one of the large sized rock fell, my heart sank as I wasn't sure whether it cracked the bottom of the tank. quickly pull the rock and check but detritus was covered the bottom. brushed of the detritus and ahh!!! omg...no crack :0) 

Reef redo

Massive rock with heliopora

Reef redo Reef redo Reef redo Reef redo

13 minutes ago, WheresTheReef said:

I bet your heart skipped a beat or two! Glad you didn't end up with a crisis on your hands.

Thanks Eric, 

it's one of the risk of running bare bottom.

yeah! it skipped a beat, but one the dark side of the brain, it's said new tank :biggrin:

It’s about 90% of what I wanted to accomplish. Got most my my corals back in place and trimmed off some over grown colonies. Fish seem to enjoy extra swimming space. Got the algae scraped for nice clean photos ?

Reef 2022-05-12

Reef 2022-05-12

Need to get some pieces with height in there! Looking good, Chuck. 

1 hour ago, YHSublime said:

Need to get some pieces with height in there! Looking good, Chuck. 

nah! something will eventually grow to cover the height. Hopefully desirable one and not the heliopora :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Tank redo is now completed to my satisfaction. Not a whole lot of coral breakage as I first anticipated. Pretty much able to sold most of the frags from the minor breakage. 
here is the updated videos I just uploaded. 

• 4 weeks later...

Ever since I loss my copperband, I have always wanted to get another butterfly. It”s no copperband butterfly but satisfying ?.

47 minutes ago, WheresTheReef said:

Pretty fish. I've thought about a butterfly but always concerned about it eating my corals and/or clam.

:biggrin:fortunately for me I don't have clams and my corals aren't high end.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have you seen the longnose butterfly picking at your corals?  I have a copper banded butterfly and would love to include a longnose as well….

Darren

4 hours ago, lowsingle said:

Have you seen the longnose butterfly picking at your corals?  I have a copper banded butterfly and would love to include a longnose as well….

Darren

I haven't yet witness it picking on corals. However, I'd noticed that some of my euphyllia are not happy. It's possible that the longnose nipping on it or could be something else idk :unsure:.

On the plus side, it's my new favorite fish and also the majanos has been greatly reduced since adding the longnose. It's much better than before as the filefish was not able get to them in the tight crevices. 

• 4 weeks later...

Has a minor change with the tank’s residency. The female bullet holes clownfish disappeared a few days after spawned. The male continues to guard over the eggs until the very end. I think the female probably got killed defending her eggs. 

Yesterday I introduced the B&W female with the remain bullet holes and less than 24 hrs they bonded nicely.

LOL! I guessed the little guy don't want to be sold to a new home after all. He somehow escaped from the cage which are wrapped around using 1/4" mesh netting:why:. Seem to be doing just fine and accepted by the other clownfish pair.

• 1 month later...
(edited)
On 4/5/2022 at 9:57 PM, flooddc said:

My 11+ year old sixline wrasse has something on its mouth for the past year or so. I think he got bucked teeth. Still eating well. 

i went into ky YouTube and dig out my very first post of the reef tank. Can’t believe it coming up it its 10 years. Some of the fish and corals are still in my current tank.

:sad: the 6 line passed last week. It was pretty healthy and active. I guessed it died of old age. it's around 12 years old. 

Guessed it's time to look into getting two and pair them up. Missed seeing mating dance  :biggrin: 

Edited by flooddc
typo

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around and scraped coralline algae off the front of the tanks and water change.

Everything seem to do well except the frogspawn/octospawn and rasta zoas. I am pretty sure the filefish has something to do with those. Here are video of the 2 tanks:

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

Yesterday marked the 8th anniversary of this build :rollface:. WOW time fly!!! 

Coincidently, for some reason I decided to clean the tank last evening.  WEIRD!! ;)

the longnose butterfly has been growing quite a bit and now eating everything.

Edited by flooddc
correction