Is a PH probe really needed?

Neto

I dont have a controller but I might get one to control my new lights & other things. I see that the basic RKL is only $120 but it doesnt include a ph probe & module. Im questioning myself if these is really needed? In this hobby, ph doesnt really get tested very often.

When I got my first controller (an ACIII), tracking (e.g. automatic graphing) the pH became an unexpected benefit that I enjoy even today. While the absolute accuracy of the number itself is not as important to me, the daily cycling and the weekly trend become indicators of tank stability. For example, I can tell when my kalkwasser reactor is low or alkalinity is tracking low by watching the variation. It's probably the one number that I look at every time I glance at my controller display. So, it's a convenience that I'm glad to have available.

I would not agree with the statement below.  I glance at my pH meter multiple times a day when I walk past my tank.  It is a very quick way to see if other parameters are out of whack.  The pH of marine aquarium water is intimately tied to the amount of carbon dioxide dissolved in the water and to its alkalinity.  if the water is fully aerated (that is, it is in full equilibrium with normal air), then the pH is exactly determined by the carbonate alkalinity.

So if you know where your pH normally falls at certain times of the day, and you see that it is not there, then you know something is wrong with your calcium/alkalinity addition system.

pH is considered a "Critical" parameter in the control of reef aquaria by Randy Holmes-Farley

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

Bruce

In this hobby, ph doesnt really get tested very often.

Edited by bbyatv

I would not agree with the statement below.  I glance at my pH meter multiple times a day when I walk past my tank.  It is a very quick way to see if other parameters are out of whack.  The pH of marine aquarium water is intimately tied to the amount of carbon dioxide dissolved in the water and to its alkalinity.  if the water is fully aerated (that is, it is in full equilibrium with normal air), then the pH is exactly determined by the carbonate alkalinity.

So if you know where your pH normally falls at certain times of the day, and you see that it is not there, then you know something is wrong with your calcium/alkalinity addition system.

pH is considered a "Critical" parameter in the control of reef aquaria by Randy Holmes-Farley

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

Bruce

What I meant with my statement is that the majority of reefers out there dont use a test kit to test for PH since it is changing depending on a lot of factors, from what I heard things like lights on, windows open, your tank next to a vent, etc.. A lot of people do monitor it with equipment like RKL, apex, etc but they dont use a test kit..

Thanks for all your responses!

What I meant with my statement is that the majority of reefers out there dont use a test kit to test for PH since it is changing depending on a lot of factors, from what I heard things like lights on, windows open, your tank next to a vent, etc.. A lot of people do monitor it with equipment like RKL, apex, etc but they dont use a test kit..

Thanks for all your responses!

I use both methods.

I definitely monitor my pH. I think that if you're going the controller route, it is well worth the money to get a lab-grade pH probe. Test kit pH levels are notoriously hard to read (especially API IMO). But a pH probe provides you the specificity to really monitor the tank. As everyone else mentioned, pH is not just important on its own merits, but as an indicator level for other things in the tank. To be honest, I feel lost right now without my Apex set up and the ability to check my levels. It's amazing how much just being able to glance at the screen and double check the health of your tank does for your tank-stress levels!

I have to say I have never checked my PH on my tank. I run an RKL for my lights and heaters and only check my ALK/CAL every few weeks to make sure my doser is working correctly.

I might be on the minority, but it's worked for me.

This is an interesting question and I'm following the responses. I'll add to my last post with this:

If I didn't have a pH probe and system that collected and could plot the data, I probably would not be doing a bunch of pH tests using a test kit. It's a pain and you pretty much have to test at about the same time because of the natural diurnal pH swing in your tank. Otherwise, the numbers that you get can vary widely and desensitize you to red flags when they really occur.

The pH monitoring capability of a controller is very nice to have and, for me, really plugged me into the rhythm of life in my tank unlike any other measured parameter. For that reason, it's something I would not want to do without. However, is it critical to have?  In my opinion, probably not. pH is more of an observable outcome for most rather than a parameter to be manipulated (tweaked). When pH is out of whack, it signals you to start looking for possible sources of a problem (including whether or not the pH probe is working). It becomes a really convenient, low effort observable. The only other such observable we probably have that takes so little effort to measure is temperature.

I bet it's nice to have. And could potentially prevent a disaster as stated above. However I only test PH once a month. I do test Alk weekly to prevent a slow decline however with 2 part dosing in slow doser it has been dead on 10dkh every time and I'm getting bored with testing weekly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Hanna pH checker and use it every now and then. Quick read. I used to write it down to see how things are doing. Once I got a feel for it I stopped. Now I only do it every now and then. From what I have read and heard pH is kind of like the canary in the coal mine. If pH is where it is suppose to be or in a range everything is good. If some of the other parameters are getting out of whack then the pH would let you know before you had a disaster. In other words, get a pH probe as a defensive measure.

This is an interesting question and I'm following the responses. I'll add to my last post with this:

If I didn't have a pH probe and system that collected and could plot the data, I probably would not be doing a bunch of pH tests using a test kit. It's a pain and you pretty much have to test at about the same time because of the natural diurnal pH swing in your tank. Otherwise, the numbers that you get can vary widely and desensitize you to red flags when they really occur.

The pH monitoring capability of a controller is very nice to have and, for me, really plugged me into the rhythm of life in my tank unlike any other measured parameter. For that reason, it's something I would not want to do without. However, is it critical to have?  In my opinion, probably not. pH is more of an observable outcome for most rather than a parameter to be manipulated (tweaked). When pH is out of whack, it signals you to start looking for possible sources of a problem (including whether or not the pH probe is working). It becomes a really convenient, low effort observable. The only other such observable we probably have that takes so little effort to measure is temperature.

I fully agree with the above.  Individual, isolated, random pH tests are not useful enough to be of much value.  But with a controller, you gain the ability to track and see trends which does become useful.  I would say the ability to usefully incorporate pH in monitoring your tank's health is one of the things that makes a controller special.  You can always control lights using individual timers and heaters using internal/external temp sensors.  You can't do much with pH without a controller.

To that end, for anyone looking to buy their first controller I would say- getting a controller without the pH capability is almost like getting a controller without network, timer or temp capabilities.  It's one of the fundamentally useful things you gain when you get a controller.

Edited by DaveS

To that end, for anyone looking to buy their first controller I would say- getting a controller without the pH capability is almost like getting a controller without network, timer or temp capabilities.  It's one of the fundamentally useful things you gain when you get a controller.

I would agree with this statement. 

This is coming from a guy who the last time he properly checked his PH was 2 years ago when I first setup my biocube 14. I bought a ph probe for my Apex, but it was off, and was always off. However, I believe it was still accurate in tracking a trend, which like Tom, I would observe whenever I looked at my controller. I never worried much about what the number was, but in if it varied, or parred for course. 

I never had a pH probe and in the 60+ years I have been keeping fish I have never changed the pH.  Go figure.  I have also never had a controller, but my wife sometimes thinks she is one.   My theory is that the tanks with the most "Tweeking" are the ones with the most problems.  Seawater is very stable as long as you don't mess with it.

Oh Wait, my wife is calling me.  Yes Dear.

I look at my PH every time I walk by my Bowfront as I have the Apex display. On the other hand I run Apex Jr's on both my Biocube and Red Sea Max, both without displays or PH probes and NEVER test them. 

My theory is that the tanks with the most "Tweeking" are the ones with the most problems.  Seawater is very stable as long as you don't mess with it.

sea water is stable with millions of gallons....200 gallons is not stable when compared to the sea...and by putting it in a tiny box you are messing with it.

sea water is stable with millions of gallons....200 gallons is not stable when compared to the sea...and by putting it in a tiny box you are messing with it.

Thats true but we all have to admit there are tanks out there that look better than real reefs too and do not control the PH.

I never had a pH probe and in the 60+ years I have been keeping fish I have never changed the pH. Go figure. I have also never had a controller, but my wife sometimes thinks she is one. My theory is that the tanks with the most "Tweeking" are the ones with the most problems. Seawater is very stable as long as you don't mess with it.

Oh Wait, my wife is calling me. Yes Dear.

In my 10 years I've used a pH probe in the past, but I must agree with Paul, "Tweeking" after the first couple of years in the hobby, I wanted to keep up with the "Jones" to have all the bells and whistle, buy the most expensive up-to-date equipment. Previous to making changes, my tank was thriving everything was growing, colors were popping you can see a happy living ocean in your home...Stop doing or copying what the "Jones" do this is an expensive hobby, stick to the basic and enjoy your reef tank, don't become a slave to it. What works for them, not necessarily will work for you. Make reefing an enjoyable experience. I don't feed my corals, my fish does.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't worry about pH at all on my home tank and I don't measure/test for it on any of the maintenance tanks.

skimmers keep the tank well oxygenated, and most of the places have lots of fresh air. Even the tanks that get 2 part have no pH indicators.

One less thing to worry about.