Who make the best Razor Scraper (one with a handle)?

I've seen lots of reviews from NR and RC but I'll always turn to my wamas peeps for the final word. I've got a coraline problem but I'd like to keep my hands out of the tank.

I've got a glass nuvo 28. Its about 20" deep (I'm totally guessing here). 

What I'm looking for:

Long handle razor scraper

-Reliable, won't break the first time some good elbow grease is applied

-Replaceable blades! I remember back in the day having a wonderful algaefree mag scraper, but darn it all the replacement blades couldn't be bought at HD, Lowes, ACE, etc.

-Long and stiff handle I'm guessing 24/26" or longer. I need to be able to exert some coraline removing force without having to submerge my questionable contaminated hands

As always thanks in advance for the help. 

LINKS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME!

Well I can't get the link to work on my tablet, but it's the mag float with a built in replaceable scraper.

Edited by CaptainRon

Who make the best Razor Scraper (one with a handle)?

I do baby!  Flexible head and replaceable blade.  I can can to any depth without getting my hands wet.

gallery_965_1344_854840.jpg

gallery_965_1344_504117.jpg

gallery_965_1344_859658.jpg

I love this thing.  It saves me so much aggravation.

Bruce

Here is the unit I built for those really tight spots where things are super close to the glass.

Its starting to get a little rusty.  I need to build a new on I guess.

gallery_965_1344_632380.jpg

gallery_965_1344_288540.jpg

gallery_965_1344_248255.jpg

Bruce

Way to easy man.  I just love the pain and suffering of building my own.  Probably a little cheaper too.  Plus I really wanted one that used razor blades.that I could replace quickly and cheaply.  Not sure if the mag float takes standard blades.

Bruce

Why not just get a mag float with a ez blade attachment. Premium aquatics sells both.

Have any of you ever scratched the glass with the razor?

Here is the unit I built for those really tight spots where things are super close to the glass.

Bruce

Man! that thing looks like you found it on the bottom of the Atlantic! :laugh: :laugh:

I am sure it works, it probably also adds Iron to the water. :tongue:

Oh!  I tellin you.  I never have to add iron to my tank.  This baby does the trick.  And as a bonus, I get clean glass.

I've used a long-handled Kent scraper with replaceable blades which are available both in plastic only (for acrylic panels) and stainless steel. It's OK. For long reaches and removing coralline deep in an acrylic tank, it's a little harder to get some good pressure on the blade without putting your hand in (sort of defeating the purpose of a long handle). The stainless steel blade is fine for glass but has a blunt edge (as I recall), so it requires more pressure than it would if the edge were razor sharp.

These days, I use an Easy Blade attached to a Mag Float. You can buy stainless steel replacement blades ten at a time from Premium Aquatics for a bit over $10. They also make a regular steel blade that doesn't last as long that's available in a 5-pack. I still rinse the blades in fresh water even if they're stainless so that they last longer.

My "ideal" for glass would be a razor-sharp scraper that used a relatively wide blade that was readily available at the hardware store. Something like a carpet blade (kind of thin) or a replaceable paint scraper blade (more sturdy and preferable in my opinion). But the holders don't exist right now for those. In the mean time, Bruce seems to have a fine idea with his DIY version that uses regular single-edged razor blades that you can get for just pennies each. The only downside for me is I'd like it to be wider so I have to make fewer passes across the glass.

I've used a long-handled Kent scraper with replaceable blades which are available both in plastic only (for acrylic panels) and stainless steel. It's OK. For long reaches and removing coralline deep in an acrylic tank, it's a little harder to get some good pressure on the blade without putting your hand in (sort of defeating the purpose of a long handle). The stainless steel blade is fine for glass but has a blunt edge (as I recall), so it requires more pressure than it would if the edge were razor sharp.

These days, I use an Easy Blade attached to a Mag Float. You can buy stainless steel replacement blades ten at a time from Premium Aquatics for a bit over $10. They also make a regular steel blade that doesn't last as long that's available in a 5-pack. I still rinse the blades in fresh water even if they're stainless so that they last longer.

My "ideal" for glass would be a razor-sharp scraper that used a relatively wide blade that was readily available at the hardware store. Something like a carpet blade (kind of thin) or a replaceable paint scraper blade (more sturdy and preferable in my opinion). But the holders don't exist right now for those. In the mean time, Bruce seems to have a fine idea with his DIY version that uses regular single-edged razor blades that you can get for just pennies each. The only downside for me is I'd like it to be wider so I have to make fewer passes across the glass.

I use the algae free magnet and the blade attachment.  I swapped out the blade for the ones you are talking about (wide/thin carpet blades).  They are awesome and make quick work of any algae.

I use the algae free magnet and the blade attachment.  I swapped out the blade for the ones you are talking about (wide/thin carpet blades).  They are awesome and make quick work of any algae.

Link? Algae Free makes the Easy Blade that I reference, but I've always figured that the holes don't line up with the other blades. 

LOL some of you guys aren't following. 
I want a Razor scraper with a handle not a mag mounted one. In my tiny aquarium there isn't enough room to navigate around a magnet mounted one. 

Bruce

This actually looks like the best so far. How did you make that?

I've had/tried the kent one, the problem is when I'm trying to get to a real low angle. I.e. low angle of the scraper handle to the plane of the glass. The low angle causes the black ummm bezel, mount, what have you to rub the glass and there for elevate the blade off the glass making it useless. Additionally the blades the kent scrapers come with are dull safety blades. I'm looking for a full on hardcore razor blade. 

Link? Algae Free makes the Easy Blade that I reference, but I've always figured that the holes don't line up with the other blades. 

i used the easy blade and just took out their blade and put in the other.  Secured it with the screw on the easy blade. it doesn't line up with the holes, but I just put as much of the blade in to secure it.

Sorry jason, don't use too many ones with handles.  You can get a lot of leverage with them.   You might be able to DIY one of the ones you use and replace the blade.

Jason,

I tore apart a scraper like the one below and drilled two holes in the blade holder.  I then found a fiberglass rod and used a hack saw to cut a slot in the end about 2" deep.  I drilled holes in the rod to line up with the 2 holes in the blade holder and then I installed a couple of rivets to hold it all together.  After looking for an image of a razor scraper to reference in the description above, I found a cool stainless scraper that hold standard blades that might work.  I included a pic and link below.

416YeMw%2B-6L._SY355_.jpg

Here is a stainless one that looks cool.  In fact, I think I am going to buy one.  May take some time.  I think it comes from China.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/aquarium-glass-Stainless-Steel-Algae-scraper-blade-Cleaner-Razor-coralline-/181481809820?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2a4128a79c

$_57.JPG

Thanks,

Bruce

This actually looks like the best so far. How did you make that?

I've had/tried the kent one, the problem is when I'm trying to get to a real low angle. I.e. low angle of the scraper handle to the plane of the glass. The low angle causes the black ummm bezel, mount, what have you to rub the glass and there for elevate the blade off the glass making it useless. Additionally the blades the kent scrapers come with are dull safety blades. I'm looking for a full on hardcore razor blade. 

I don't like them either, so it just sits in a tube in the corner.

Of the options you've seen and given the constraints you have, I like Bruce's option best. BTW, I made a home made version once with a utility blade and a short length of 1/2" CPVC. Just cut an angled slot into the pvc and shove a blade in the slot. 

Easy answer- clean glass weekly with mag float.

Works every time and no need for a razor blade.

+1.

I just have cleaned my glass as the algae grows on it, quick couple slides with the algae free mag and done.