Maxspect "Riptide" Gyre Generator Pump

Orion

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that, I want one!  That thing looks like it could push water further then the 5' tank they have it in.

I am really thinking of using those with my rebuild. I am curious if using 2, one vertical and one horizontal will be a good idea.

i have already called Quantum, CoralVue has them on the list as distributors, they will not know pricing till July, and it should come out in Aug.

One looks like it would replace all of my power heads , that would be slick.

(edited)

yeah, i think im all in for this...wonder if they are going to have different sizes? or be able to contol the flow? (couldnt hear the audio from youtube on my phone) would be awesome!

guess when they get a price, i'll prebuy my husbands birthday present to me,lol

Edited by smallreef

yeah, i think im all in for this...wonder if they are going to have different sizes? or be able to contol the flow? (couldnt hear the audio from youtube on my phone) would be awesome!

guess when they get a price, i'll prebuy my husbands birthday present to me,lol

At least 4 different sizes it looks like- http://www.coralvue.com/maxspect-riptide-gyre-generator

This is a neat piece of gear. However, the same effect can be produced with two cheap power heads. I prefer a gyre in my tank, and have always ran them this way.  Would be nice to see if I can replace two units with this one though.  

I wonder how it will function when you throw rock work into the mix?

i dont jason..and i wish i could get this effect with 2 powerheads..

maybe come over and give my tank a once over for suggestions? cuz i have a very large dead spot under one side of my tank where a powerhead is...

and as far as rockwork..mine is in the middle ish of my tank so i think the gyre effect would pass down the back and the front where i dont have any rock...but may still need another powerhead depending on placment of rocks and such?

i dont jason..and i wish i could get this effect with 2 powerheads..

maybe come over and give my tank a once over for suggestions? cuz i have a very large dead spot under one side of my tank where a powerhead is...

and as far as rockwork..mine is in the middle ish of my tank so i think the gyre effect would pass down the back and the front where i dont have any rock...but may still need another powerhead depending on placment of rocks and such?

I would be happy to take a look.  Your layout sounds a lot like mine, I have my rock in the middle (one section actually hits the back glass, but there is a "tunnel" that the flow can go through) as well.  WIth that layout, we should be able to get your water moving in no time! :)

I have what I believe (based on watching food flow around and around) is a gyre on my tank with only 1 wp-25 power head strategically placed. I also have my rock work in the middle with clear flow around the tank. It took a lot of playing around to find the right placement of the power head. I also think I can do it w/ 1 because I have a small tank w/ 1 powerful power head.

Pretty cool, now if it can provide variable speed flow I would love me some variable gyre current this way

• 1 month later...

I like the look of them a lot.  I am currently setting up 4 powerheads in my tank to give me better gyre flow.  I have two right now pointed at each other across the back and run them only one at a time and do see the current eventually start spinning a circle, but this kind of long hamster wheel blower would do that job much better.  Also looks less likely to chop up an anemone.