Maxspect "Riptide" Gyre Generator Pump

Orion

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovely pump really. Looks like it'll work.... but... As an mp-40 is $465 new and this is $300 ish

Still no real specs on controller. Or how much upgrading to an advanced controller will be. So, for $165 more you get an excellent powerhead that is proven to work well, has about as advanced of a controller as you can get and is easily capable of being hooked up to any controller that gives it even more options of use.

Don't get me wrong, I love this thing. It looks brilliant. But am I going to take out my mp40's for it? No chance. Not at a $300 price tag. Less controllability is a huge factor. Now if they make this compatible with apex out of the box (with purchase of some other gadget if necessary) then id have a hard time passing it up. Another thing is battery backup. It's saved my reef twice now. And for that, $165 per unit more is money well spent.

I honestly think a price in the $300+ range is a mistake. It won't give jebao a run for anything. I tried them, and they work. For $300 you could own 3+ of them and I'm certain that you could accomplish this same gyre effect with that. And then, if they do break... You have 2 left.

Now let's see how long it takes jebao to look at that shiny "worldwide patent" sticker and realize that their country doesn't give a *--* about those. And sell something just like it for a much more realistic value.

• 1 month later...

Almost posted in another thread, but seems to make more sense here.

Like someone else posted in another thread, it would be great to see a Gyre working in conjunction with other pumps (in competing, and/or complementing directions). However, I feel like the efficiencies in using any pump creating a gyre are reduced when competing with a pump moving water in another direction. I really haven't tried it though. Has this been checked out with the Gyre pump?

I run a WP-20 in my 46g to create a gyre. It runs horizontally clockwise (similar to earth rotation's coriolus effect in our hemisphere, not that it really matters) across the back wall to start. I use an mj900 with a rotating Hydor Flo that has a very narrow stream to break into the main current as it rotates it's stream widely. The WP-20 totally outmatches the MJ even when Else mode (pump always in Else) kicks to low, but the Hydor/MJ mixes up my unidirectional flow a bit...and takes over most flow duties during lights out along with my return pump.

The Gyre looks like cool tech no doubt, but I'm really interested to hear how much variability you can generate in the flow output with the standard or upgraded controller. Any greater news on variable speed setting with the first release? Could settings be compared side-by-side with other manufacturers reefers are somewhat familiar with?  ReefCrest, Else, Lagoon, wave-generating....

I'm setting up a 90g and using my experience from the 46g. I really like the gyre I get in my 46g now given it has varying flow speeds from the WP-20 in Else, but I wish I could easily change it's direction periodically without giving up space to another bulky powerhead in that size tank or adding something external that generated more audible noise.

If I were buy one Gyre, I might be inclined to buy two (or pair one with an existing pump) and just alternate flow directions every few hours. Perhaps I'd use two of the smaller ones given recent user comments about having to use lower flow settings on the 50w model. Those comments remind me of how the adoption of LEDs went...with people having to dial things back. Of course, more IS better if you have plans to upgrade tanks during the equipment's useful life.

I'm not sure I see how it's better than a vortech.  The flow is essentially in only 1 direction right?  I thought corals and fish preferred different flows, whether slow then fast, or different directions too.  Vortechs can achieve that, and I never had dead spots with vortechs (unlike other pumps such as koralias, maxi jets, etc.)

2 vortechs at each end, on a reef crest mode, really create a powerful, diverse water movement in a tank.

2 gyre's create 1 constant circle of water movement in the tank, at the same speed, always in the same direction...

Am I missing something?

I'm not sure I see how it's better than a vortech.  The flow is essentially in only 1 direction right?  I thought corals and fish preferred different flows, whether slow then fast, or different directions too.  Vortechs can achieve that, and I never had dead spots with vortechs (unlike other pumps such as koralias, maxi jets, etc.)

2 vortechs at each end, on a reef crest mode, really create a powerful, diverse water movement in a tank.

2 gyre's create 1 constant circle of water movement in the tank, at the same speed, always in the same direction...

Am I missing something?

yes, the beta controller i have allows for a variety of manipulations of the flow including timed control ramp up and down which i find very natural and helpful. is it implied and mentioned in other videos that there will be flow options and the advanced controller will just expand and/or provide even more control.

Will the final version be able to reverse flow???

the one i have now is able to do so and i hope the final version is able to as well. one half of it is able to flow in one direction and the lower half in the other if one wishes.

Edited by monkiboy

yes, the beta controller i have allows for a variety of manipulations of the flow including timed control ramp up and down which i find very natural and helpful. is it implied and mentioned in other videos that there will be flow options and the advanced controller will just expand and/or provide even more control.

the one i have now is able to do so and i hope the final version is able to as well. one half of it is able to flow in one direction and the lower half in the other if one wishes.

When will the advanced controller come out?

So it sounds like you can run the gyre clockwise, counter clockwise, or half clockwise and half counter clockwise at the same time?

Is there a way to tie 2 together so gyre one at one end can ramp up, while the one at the other end is ramping down?

What sizes are they releasing first? Only the medium sized one? I have seen 2 sets of wattage ratings so I am not sure what to call them.

Edited by DuffyGeos

Tony, from the last round of pics I saw the reverse flow feature was done by turning the grill covers on a double ended Riptide in opposite directions. Thus , half the flow in one direction and half in the other direction. That's got to mean pumping in both directions at the same time with the same speed....as the pump is in the middle of the stick. I would imagine you'd get a pretzel type flow (similar to MP centered on back wall), but mostly unidirectional at a given point along the flow paths except where the two currents meet. Maybe that meeting point changes depending on flow speed. All conceptual and in my head...I''ve never seen a Riptide in person. Maybe Marco can confirm those assumptions.

Ryan, a gyre moves a lot of water efficiently. If you didn't want to change the direction you could probably get by with a single Riptide pump sized to your tank vs two opposing pumps. I like the idea of two so you could sync them and have them work alternating. But then you're back to how is that different that 2 vortechs.

Wide laminar flow as generated from a long Riptide looks like a plus. Likely quieter than vortechs. They can be aimed. I'm not sure they're gonna be cheaper... as you may want two long style Riptides for alternating directions with the widest possible laminar flow. Total price will probably be better understood after we see what final features the controllers have and how those are priced in.

Marco, I'm more excited now that you say the controller will have ramping ability. I think that's a real plus as long as the price point stays in reach for average Joe's like me.

When will the advanced controller come out?

So it sounds like you can run the gyre clockwise, counter clockwise, or half clockwise and half counter clockwise at the same time?

Is there a way to tie 2 together so gyre one at one end can ramp up, while the one at the other end is ramping down?

What sizes are they releasing first? Only the medium sized one? I have seen 2 sets of wattage ratings so I am not sure what to call them.

no updated official word on the advanced controller. the masses will know soon enough. yes, you can run the beta as such. i use ramping up and down most. it never actually turns off. it simply gets down a very low RPM. it's very very quiet which i like too.

howard from maxspect @ macna mentioned that one would be able to assign a pump as slave and the other as master to sync them.

they are releasing the middle, 50w, 5000gph pump if i remember correctly will be released first estimated in about two weeks. they are right around $300.

Marco, I'm more excited now that you say the controller will have ramping ability. I think that's a real plus as long as the price point stays in reach for average Joe's like me.

hey matt, check out this video and pricing has been shared and made public on the upgraded 35w now 50w model at $299 so very competitive.

Thanks all for the follow up info. I had no idea what a gyre was before I heard about these. Sounds very promising. Interested to see how they play out on a 300g sps tank.

Marco- what is the next size up from the 50w? How wide is it? What is the wattage?

there is the 35w, 50w, and 75w. in 1:06 of video above:

Capture_zps8786926f.png

i dont have dimensions on the 70w model as it is not in beta yet, only the 50w which i have in beta and that is exactly 12" long.

hey matt, check out this video and pricing has been shared and made public on the upgraded 35w now 50w model at $299 so very competitive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5p1V8s1H67E

Hey Marco, thanks....I'd seen that. I'm currently wondering how much the smaller 35w units will be with a controller that can randomly ramp the pump speed up and down in small-ish increments... not pulse. Any idea how long before we know pricing on the advanced controller and/or the smaller pump? Is it known if $299 on the 50w model includes the advanced controller?

Beta? Ugh, how much longer? Jebao is going to release their version before they release this thing.

for the 50w model tentative dates for release are mid-october and the 35w in novemeber. they want a couple out for christmas time and presents!

Hey Marco, thanks....I'd seen that. I'm currently wondering how much the smaller 35w units will be with a controller that can randomly ramp the pump speed up and down in small-ish increments... not pulse. Any idea how long before we know pricing on the advanced controller and/or the smaller pump? Is it known if $299 on the 50w model includes the advanced controller?

no information on the advanced controller release date or pricing on the smaller pump. the $299 at the moment is with the included standard controller for the 50w model.

no information on the advanced controller release date or pricing on the smaller pump. the $299 at the moment is with the included standard controller for the 50w model.

Wonder if the advanced controller will be apex compatible.

Wonder if the advanced controller will be apex compatible.

Why would you want to control a controller?