DuffyGeos 300g DT & 8 TANK FISH ROOM

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a clue........Maybe it came from DCReefer1964 and the NSA

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  Watching

Ok, so a quick question:

What should I do with my rock? I have live rock from multiple member's aquariums in tubs with heaters, pumps and saltwater.  I also have dry rock from multiply member's aquariums that has been dry for anywhere from months to possibly years. I want to start with a clean tank and no bugs from corals or fish, I will QT everything before it gets in the system. So what is the best thing to do with the rock? I would really like to be able to take the pieces and build structures that are airy and have a lot of spots for corals and caves for fish.

So, what should I do? Here is where my advisory board would come in handy.

Thanks

Chuck your dry rock in with the live rock and have most of your cycle taken care of by the time you actually build and scape.

There are several members on WAMAS who have gone this route, the last one I think was Orion, off the top of my head.

The only way to ensure a 100% clean tank is to start off with 100% base or dry rock like Marco rocks or Reef cleaners rock, which I used. There is no other way.

Sent from my rooted Nook HD+ running CyanogenMod

The only way to ensure a 100% clean tank is to start off with 100% base or dry rock like Marco rocks or Reef cleaners rock, which I used. There is no other way.

Then there is this. Jack is correct.

Chuck your dry rock in with the live rock and have most of your cycle taken care of by the time you actually build and scape.

There are several members on WAMAS who have gone this route, the last one I think was Orion, off the top of my head.

1 for just add rock together and cycle

(edited)

Sent from my rooted Nook HD+ running CyanogenMod

1- Buy all new rock

2 -Buy all new rock (flip flopper)

+1 for what jack said. I got pukani rock

zytevyje.jpg

4u5u4a4e.jpg

3-  Buy all new rock

Edited by DuffyGeos

How did I missed this build? Wow! Some serious construction. Tagging along.

Thanks!  I can figure out the building part......It is the other stuff I am worried about.  :)

Haha! This is one part of the hobby that is not ambiguous. 2 schools of thought, all dry rock or all/some live rock..both are correct. Regardless, I was the latter, mostly dry rock and a small portion of live rock for seeding the cycle. :)

What to do with rock survey stand at:

- Throw them all together and let cycle -1

-  Buy all new clean rock -3

- How about muriatic acid or hydrogen peroxide?

-  Or pressure wash and bake in the sun?

Get a big crab pot or tub and boil they no chemicals to worry about. Then make the structures you want, cement segments together take a photo.and cycle in a large Rubbermaide while working on your build. You don't want to fight unwanted inhabitants. Like I am doing now :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Oh don't forget yo drill your Frags plug holes all over.

Probably best to boil it outside... I read some crazy stories about people that got sick from boiling rocks that had palys on them

Get a big crab pot or tub and boil they no chemicals to worry about. Then make the structures you want, cement segments together take a photo.and cycle in a large Rubbermaide while working on your build. You don't want to fight unwanted inhabitants. Like I am doing now :(

Oh don't forget yo drill your Frags plug holes all over.

Next option ( you would guess it had to come form someone in MD)  Have a crab boil!

So I take my big turkey deep fryer, I set it up outside (dually noted) filled with water, have a few propane tanks laying around, invite a few reefers over, get the grill going, make sure the beer is cold, and make a day out of it?   is that what you mean? ;)

Yea, I think Steveoutlaw had an issue with cooking Zoas or something.

Let me know when you throw your BeerBQ rock boiling par-tay.

Let me know when you throw your BeerBQ rock boiling par-tay.

Your on!

no but seriously...i'll need an invite this way as well - mmm'kay?

You are on the black tie list Marco.

It took me about 20 minutes but I finally found the thread. http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks/142437-1000-gallon-3d-hole-wall.html Although not as large, same idea kind of.

Nice!! The use of commercial material is a great idea to keep the profile low. Not too late to change materials, Ken!

Nice!! The use of commercial material is a great idea to keep the profile low. Not too late to change materials, Ken!

Looks great, what an incredible build!   Now I just have to figure out how to design the stand, and make sure it is engineered correctly. Then figure out how to attach a surface to the stand since it did not look like he had a top to the stand. I think this would work great for the platform above, and the railing system on the ceiling. It would make it easier to move the lighting system out of the way for maintenance.

I will have to wait for my wife to download the program http://www.framexpert.com/products/framedesigner/download/

It would not let me do it, and with my lack of computer knowledge I have learned to just stop and let the expert handle it.

Maybe I should ask my 13 year old to take over.

It took me about 20 minutes but I finally found the thread. http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks/142437-1000-gallon-3d-hole-wall.html Although not as large, same idea kind of.

Squishie- Thanks for the link!  I always wanted to bump the tank out  from the wall plane so I could see down the length. Then Jack showed me another picture with the bottom cantilevered and I have been going in that direction ever since.