DuffyGeos 300g DT & 8 TANK FISH ROOM

With all new plumbing for the utility sink set up I was able to add a valve with a John Guest fitting for the RO/DI filter. My plumber said I should toss the plastic fittings and go with metal, so that is whet we did.

gallery_2633915_1398_56268.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went through and plumbed a temporary trashcan for saltwater. Used a BRS float valve and put a shut off valve on it so I can cut off the ATO when it is full to mix saltwater. This will not allow more water that is being made to come into the trashcan to dilute the mix.

gallery_2633915_1398_83365.jpg

The second trashcan is for freshwater. I bought a BRS 75gpd RO/DI unit and then bought the 75gpd upgrade for 150gpd total. I temporarily mounted it to a stud just to get it out of the way. I installed the inline TDS meter to show it is still working great. I then split the line and added a float valve to the white can so that if water in either trashcan gets used it will top it off. I also have heaters and pumps running in both trashcans. I am so over hauling jugs!

gallery_2633915_1398_139673.jpg

ELECTRICAL DAY!

I think I am up to:

4-  20A circuits

31 outlets

12 switches

8 recessed LED lights....that is it ;)

Oh, and an Delta exhaust fan rated 150cfm at less then .3 Sones...quiet 

It will be controlled by a Broan NuTone DH100w dehumidistat

We should finish the electrical tomorrow.  I even made the electrician add drip loops to the lines in the wall. Trying to make sure nothing ever goes wrong. especially from my tank up stairs.

coming along great...well thought out and executed...and fast in a good way =D

Thanks!, I have spent a lot of time looking at other WAMAS members tanks (yours included) to see what works, what doesn't, and what they would have done differently.

Ok,  Electrical is done except for adding most of the plugs and switches which we will do after the drywall. Installed enough to power what I need right now. Also added 9 LED recessed lights- 7 for the room on dimmers, and 2 for the closet. Boy does it feel good to get rid of 5 extension cords with multiplugs on the end.

Ok, Electrical is done except for adding most of the plugs and switches which we will do after the drywall. Installed enough to power what I need right now. Also added 9 LED recessed lights- 7 for the room on dimmers, and 2 for the closet. Boy does it feel good to get rid of 5 extension cords with multiplugs on the end.

I bet it does! Congrats!

Get CRACK'n boy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Get CRACK'n boy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

I have had two electricians working two days, for 8 hours each day with all the modifications I am doing to the electrical system. So between Friday and today I have had about 32 hours of electrical work done...........WHAT'S NOT CRACK'N!! ;)

It has been a long couple of weeks getting things squared away. I am thinking about just quitting work, it just gets in the way of all of my other endeavors.

So I have managed to acquire a few more pumps, a few more tanks, a few chillers, and a few frag tanks. Electrical work is done to the point of getting drywall up, we need to run the exhaust line for the exhaust fan, Next week the concrete floor is going to get stained and will have some stencils to try and make them look like fossils. I have a friend that does great faux work and she will be taking care of that.

Sunday I picked up 2 chillers from Copps. Part of the deal was I got a private tour of his new set up. Well not to tease anyone one but you can see the same thing by just going to the Georgia Aquarium...minus the Whale Sharks. He was gracious enough to go through his whole system, and answer all of my dumb questions.  So if anyone needs a chiller, I think he still has some, it is worth the price of admission. At least it was for me, especially knowing this monster setup will eventually give him another guaranteed Reef Central tank of the month.

I was at Artfully Acrylic tonight to meet with Adam and to check out the tank which will be done next week. Wow, am I amazed at his work, it is beautiful! We have also added some really nice details that will hopefully make the tank easier to take care of, and aesthetically add some interest.  So while I was there I ordered 2 frag tanks: A 48" x 30" x 12"  grow out tank with a corner overflow, and a 24" x 30" x 12"  QT frag tank with a corner overflow. Adam said he will send me some pics he took. So I will get those up as soon as I can. 

Once my tank is delivered I will start to push on getting the whole tank stand built. Should not take that long. My guys framed a 24' x 24' screened porch today, so we should be able to knock it out.

It has been a long couple of weeks getting things squared away. I am thinking about just quitting work, it just gets in the way of all of my other endeavors.

So I have managed to acquire a few more pumps, a few more tanks, a few chillers, and a few frag tanks. Electrical work is done to the point of getting drywall up, we need to run the exhaust line for the exhaust fan, Next week the concrete floor is going to get stained and will have some stencils to try and make them look like fossils. I have a friend that does great faux work and she will be taking care of that.

Sunday I picked up 2 chillers from Copps. Part of the deal was I got a private tour of his new set up. Well not to tease anyone one but you can see the same thing by just going to the Georgia Aquarium...minus the Whale Sharks. He was gracious enough to go through his whole system, and answer all of my dumb questions.  So if anyone needs a chiller, I think he still has some, it is worth the price of admission. At least it was for me, especially knowing this monster setup will eventually give him another guaranteed Reef Central tank of the month.

I was at Artfully Acrylic tonight to meet with Adam and to check out the tank which will be done next week. Wow, am I amazed at his work, it is beautiful! We have also added some really nice details that will hopefully make the tank easier to take care of, and aesthetically add some interest.  So while I was there I ordered 2 frag tanks: A 48" x 30" x 12"  grow out tank with a corner overflow, and a 24" x 30" x 12"  QT frag tank with a corner overflow. Adam said he will send me some pics he took. So I will get those up as soon as I can. 

Once my tank is delivered I will start to push on getting the whole tank stand built. Should not take that long. My guys framed a 24' x 24' screened porch today, so we should be able to knock it out.

Jobs are highly overrated!

I can't wait to see what all of this looks like in the end!  And then I'll want a tour!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, trying to get back in the saddle. A week of Spring Break in FL is over (thought of bringing back a 55 Gal. drum of live sand), and finally getting caught up on work since I was gone for a week. Looks like next week should be rainy which means real jobs slow down, and fish room work will get done.

I will try and post some new pics this weekend, I actually had time to read some of the owners manual for my new Nikon and learned how to play with it a little.

Hey cuz - how about an update?

Going slow at the moment. I have been playing with other hobbies that I was not planning on getting into at the moment, but when something comes on the market sometimes you have to bite the bullet.

The staining of the floor should be done tomorrow or Thurs. This has taken a little longer then I thought, but I think it will be worth it.

I took your advice and had Adam install a 1.5" band of black acrylic around the inside bottom edge where the sand will be located. I should be able to just blow any sand off of it and have a nice clean edge to clean the acrylic without the chance of grabbing any sand and scratching it. We also put a 3/4' bullnose on all of the side corners of the tank and of the overflows on each end. This should eliminate at least one trip to the emergency room as I raise my head up and take a sharp corner to the skull.

Thanks for checking in!

+1 Steve. He is getting lazy.

Ok, what do I have a riot on my hands?

Lazze is not in my vocabulary. See, I can't even spell it.

I need to post some pics, let me see what I can do. Unfortunately I need assistance in getting them to the photo gallery, then I can post from there.

Ok, I just spent an hour trying to figure out how to get pics of the tank from a gmail attachment to my photo gallery. Since I am not very computer savy, (OK I am just stupid with a computer) I am now mad. Can someone please send me a PM on how to get gmail attachments in to my photo gallery. Everything I have tried and read does not work for my little computer brain.

Thank you in advance,

Your abacus using reefer

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

OK tank is done...just kidding. I decide I had to post some eye candy. These babies are sitting in my over crowded IM 16 Nano.

And now back to our story...

gallery_2633915_1398_130281.jpg

Edited by DuffyGeos

So here is the idea that has been in my head and is a rough drawing that I came up with for my electrician. Some symbols may not be correct, but we talked it through, and I was going to be there so it worked for us.

Long dog-leg on the left is under the stairs and the closet (it is a par 3), Second little bump out is the door into the room from the basement. Sink is to the right of that. The display tank will be on the right wall between all the switches and plugs. Frag tanks will be on the left wall. QT & hospital tanks will be on the top wall.

So that is 12 switches in the room. No over kill at all.

gallery_2633915_1398_19136.jpg

Here is the view from the basement into the fish room. Recessed LED lights are in, boxes and wire are pulled, and some of the switches and outlets are in if I needed them. We also have the lower half of the walls taped off with plastic since we are getting ready to stain and seal the concrete floor.

gallery_2633915_1398_119253.jpg

(edited)

So this view would be the display tank on the right wall, and the frag tanks on the left wall. I have 6 outlets on the ceiling that will handle the lighting which will be on tracks, and can be moved away from above the tanks so it is easier to work on them.  In the center of the ceiling is an exhaust fan that will be controlled by a humidistat. The back wall has outlets running up the wall for each shelf of the QT tanks.

gallery_2633915_1398_31592.jpg

Edited by DuffyGeos

(edited)

Ceiling shot. Now that I think of it there are 7 outlets on the ceiliing. Lights on the left are on one switch, lights on the right are on another switch, the sink and hall lights are on another, and the closet lights make up a 4th switch just for ceiling lights.

gallery_2633915_1398_123434.jpg

Edited by DuffyGeos