DuffyGeos 300g DT & 8 TANK FISH ROOM

Ok, I found a 6 yr old on the street that could down load it. It looks pretty cool, I will just have to play with it, may take a while. :unsure:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we should rename this "DuffyGoes CRAZY Reef" :laugh:  :laugh: . We are watching and tagging along!

I downloaded that software and found it frustrating. As far as I can tell, it doesn't tell you load capacity. That's what you will need or else you mind as well have them model it up.

Maybe we should rename this "DuffyGoes CRAZY Reef" :laugh:  :laugh: . We are watching and tagging along!

Please don't factor my mental state into this......

(edited)

I downloaded that software and found it frustrating. As far as I can tell, it doesn't tell you load capacity. That's what you will need or else you mind as well have them model it up.

Jack if someone like you who plays on CAD all day long can't figure it out, how does a computer half-wit like myself stand a chance!

I think it said somewhere on the top left of the first page to send them the design idea to see if it works.

Edited by DuffyGeos

Back to our story....

So I finally have a moment to update the build. I end up enjoying spending some of my time looking at everyone else's builds, and buying stuff (boy is that addicting), that I don't get around to posting mine.

One of my goals is to make my tank up stairs less vulnerable to skimmer mishaps.  I cut a hole in the bottom of my cabinet, through the wall, and ran a 2" conduit down to the fish room under the stairs. You can see one of the holes on the left side of the stair wall. This allowed me to tap my IM skimmer on my IM 16g Nano upstairs with a barbed T fitting and attach a hose to drain it down in the basement. Now I have a skimmer cup over flow larger then my 5g ATO so I can not flood no matter what.

gallery_2633915_1398_54443.jpg

Next was to start cleaning up the ceiling of the basement. I wanted to have only one or two ceiling heights and have a nice finished look. So we had to move ductwork from the bottom of the main ducts (the aluminum tape) in two spots to the top. Then tap the water lines for hot and cold water for the utility sink.

I also added two 2" electrical conduits (grey horizontal pipes) to tie into pipes I had already run from another room on the other side of the gym to the storage room.  Now they will go over the fish room and come out into the new smaller storage room.

gallery_2633915_1398_34688.jpg

This picture shows the door to the rec room on the left, where the new door will be under the stairs, a hole in the wall between the fish room and the new storage room, the channel drain, and the green board that is going up on some of the walls. I have access to the back of most of the walls so I can still add electrical work which will happen this Friday.

gallery_2633915_1398_58543.jpg

Another thing we have done is to seal under the base plates for the walls. So a liquid nail adhesive was first put down, then we will add a small silicone bead, then we will fill part of the 1/2" gap below the greenboard with mastic as we add a tile baseboard. I should be able to flood the room (on purpose), and it will all go down the channel drain.

gallery_2633915_1398_91147.jpg

So here are two of the walls with green board. My back is to the sink, and the doorway is to the left. We also had to pad out the bottom of the upstairs floor joists to make the ceiling level. There are AC lines that were tacked to the bottom of the floor joists by the builder- since that is easier then cutting holes in the joists....lazy,lazy,lazy.  Actually he built a great house besides that.

gallery_2633915_1398_118294.jpg

This is under the stairs. I ripped out all of the existing drywall and redid it with greenboard. To the left is the conduit coming down from the upstairs tank, and a temporary skimmer over flow bucket. I actually ran the channel drain under the threshold for the closet door under the stairs. This will allow me to have a drain in the closet, since I am sure wet things will end up in the closet.

gallery_2633915_1398_19731.jpg

Here is the monster sink installed- I love this thing! It is massive! I will pull it out (with a P-Trap union) and add drywall behind it later. I had to get this thing up and running along with my RO/DI, and temporary trash cans. I will put a counter over the lip so it will look recessed. Still making a decision on the counter material. I have a few options I am thinking of: wood with a sealant, laminate, or a Corian type top. Refrigerator to the left (where the grey trash can is located), open stool space to the right (where the white trash can is located).

gallery_2633915_1398_9192.jpg

Looking good Ken, are you planning on putting dry wall ?

yes some of the pictures already have greenboard up, and I will add it to the entire room. It might even get crown moulding :)

This is a crazy build. Who's "we"? Are you putting your kids to work??!!

My 13 year old has crazy skills......

I am trying to give you some credit for the cantilever :) I thought of the bump out, not the cantilever. I am trying to give you some credit for the cantilever :)

Where do you people find the time for all this? It's so cool! I redid my bathroom in my old place in Miami. I was pretty darn proud of that. But this...well!

In between my adventures of: diving, shark diving, rescuing dolphins, hiking, running (preferably with a pound pup that's up for adoption), equestrian sports, dog-running, animal training, and drinking (shots!) But I owe Marco some shots first.

In between my adventures of: diving, shark diving, rescuing dolphins, hiking, running (preferably with a pound pup that's up for adoption), equestrian sports, dog-running, animal training, and drinking (shots!) But I owe Marco some shots first.

LOL. Point taken.

:lol:

Very nice and thought out work....

Thanks! slow but steady....don't want to do things twice.

LOL. Point taken.

Day starts @5:00a and I don't watch TV.  Everyone is busy and no one ever gets everything done. I could have knocked this out in a week if I didn't have to deal with everyday life.

:lol:

I thought that was a good answer! 

again -Congrats on TOTM !

My 13 year old has crazy skills......

I am trying to give you some credit for the cantilever :) I thought of the bump out, not the cantilever. I am trying to give you some credit for the cantilever :)

No credit needed but thank you. :)