DuffyGeos 300g DT & 8 TANK FISH ROOM

tank is doing well and Its been up and running for little over a month. few things are still pending to be completed but tank is running okay with just my transferred inhabitants.  I need to start a thread so I can myself look at the progress but I currently just don't have the time. Hopefully I can take advantage of some downtime next month and get the tank thread started.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duff,  How moisture resistant is the wall above the display in the fish Room? In addition what plants will be in the fish room to set it off?

What's the section look like of the trim? I wouldn't do the same color as your wall. Too monolithic.

The trim is going to be flat, no detail 1/4" x 2.5". I was going to match the crown moulding color, and that is where I am not sure if the stand will stay white, or paint it yellow. The trim will be white no matter what. You also will not see the black trim on the tank, so all you will see is yellow or white.

Duff,  How moisture resistant is the wall above the display in the fish Room? In addition what plants will be in the fish room to set it off?

the ceiling is green board that has been primed twice with Kilz. the ceiling has been painted with a waterproof paint, and is need be I will repaint it with the same gloss paint we used on the crown moulding, baseboard, and the counter.

plants....now that you mentioned it :laugh:

I originally was thinking of a long 8' trough above the frag tanks to grow mangroves, but that is now down the line. I do have one other idea, but I need to wait to do it later. So right now...a plastic fig tree in the corner. :tongue:

Consider divorcing the tank volume from the wall itself to really enhance what you're trying to do. Maybe stop the crown moldings at the bump out and instead of a trim, put a fascia board (is this only needed to cover your pad???) that is the full height of the stand (which also means you need to do the same at the head to get them to align, which may mean it's too late to do it). Then paint them something that's constrasting but light, maybe the same color you are using in your fish room. Then you can try to get that floating feeling (I would have preferred you not bump out the head all the way to the ceiling). Less lines the better.

Consider divorcing the tank volume from the wall itself to really enhance what you're trying to do. Maybe stop the crown moldings at the bump out and instead of a trim, put a fascia board (is this only needed to cover your pad???) that is the full height of the stand (which also means you need to do the same at the head to get them to align, which may mean it's too late to do it). Then paint them something that's constrasting but light, maybe the same color you are using in your fish room. Then you can try to get that floating feeling (I would have preferred you not bump out the head all the way to the ceiling). Less lines the better.

Makes sense. Here are the only problems, issues, and challenges:

-I already clad the front with a piece of Azek that was left over from a jobsite, don't really want to spend $100 on another piece.

-I might try painting the wall above the tank the same white as the crown moulding to unify the bump out. I see what you mean. It was primed white before, but I am not sure I liked it.

-I have crown moulding in the entire room, so it will be there no matter what- besides I like it.

- The bump out above the tank has to be there to accommodate the the wall, and to allow for the lights to be over the tank. Look at the 4th picture back that shows the top of the tank. The wall lines up above the top brace of the tank. If it did not I would have a wall down the middle of my tank, or at least 8" inside hanging over the water.

An interesting view from the gym. Maybe Jack can see my reasoning for the wall following the outline of the tank on the top.

gallery_2633915_1398_15298.jpg

A little bit better lighting, they are dimmed down a little. Working on the trim for the DT tank stand, and finishing the top of the frag tank stand.

gallery_2633915_1398_45629.jpg

One of the details in the floor that I just love. There are 4 or 5 different stencils that are randomly scattered around the floor.

gallery_2633915_1398_11033.jpg

You could have framed the top of the bump out similar to the bottom cantilever so you have the same height at the bottom and at the top. The whole point is to not have the bump out touch the ceiling. I personally would give up some light coverage for that look. Plus, most lights don't go all the way to the edge anyways so it may not be that bad. But I wouldn't know just looking at picts. The cantilever is modern, crown molding is not. Complementing is fine but mixing is questionable. But this is subjective and the only person that matters is you. Looks good though. :)

You could have framed the top of the bump out similar to the bottom cantilever so you have the same height at the bottom and at the top. The whole point is to not have the bump out touch the ceiling. I personally would give up some light coverage for that look. Plus, most lights don't go all the way to the edge anyways so it may not be that bad. But I wouldn't know just looking at picts. The cantilever is modern, crown molding is not. Complementing is fine but mixing is questionable. But this is subjective and the only person that matters is you. Looks good though. :)

I understand, my life is a dichotomy so I am rolling with both styles. :cool:

I can't give up light! I am growing corals! :cool:

Ken....I'm in love with your fish room.  It's simply amazing!!!!  This is so incredible my friend. 

As to the bottom part, I kind of like that it's different, but that is my taste.  I think it makes the tank pop a little moew.  But truth be told, once you've got it set up, will you really need anything outside the tank to make it pop?  Probably not.

Ken....I'm in love with your fish room.  It's simply amazing!!!!  This is so incredible my friend. 

As to the bottom part, I kind of like that it's different, but that is my taste.  I think it makes the tank pop a little moew.  But truth be told, once you've got it set up, will you really need anything outside the tank to make it pop?  Probably not.

Thank you! It is very exciting to see it all come together the way I envisioned it. I am still going back and forth about the top being white. I think I will wait till I get the trim up, then maybe paint it white to see if I like it. If not, back to yellow.

Still working on punchout details. Installed the marble thresholds into the recroom and the closet to force the water to the strip drain. Added a silicone caulk to the bottom of the baseboard so no water is going anywhere. That is the last line of defense, now the room is sealed. The black line is the drainline for the RO/DI and will be installed in the sink when I am done.

gallery_2633915_1398_66767.jpg

View with my back to the sink. The two frag tanks are now installed on the neoprene mats and are ready for plumbing! :clap:

Main DT stand has trim on the border to hide the edge of the neoprene which covers the entire top of the stand. This gives me a soft  99" x 19 " top to kneel on for maintenance (Catwalk). The top of the frag tanks stand only has the neoprene below each tank, which gives me a nice hard 19" x 36" waterproof surface to deal with frags.

gallery_2633915_1398_6244.jpg

View walking into the fishroom. I love my wrap around shelf on the frag tank stand. I also decide to cut the corner of it off at a 45 degree angle so I didn't get poked in the hip all the time.

gallery_2633915_1398_105238.jpg

View from the back corner where the DT is on the left. Full shot of the two frag tanks. the one on the right is the QT frag tank. The one on the left is the growout frag tank.

gallery_2633915_1398_569.jpg

View from the back corner of the frag tanks. Still need to take the tan paper off the bottoms of the frag tanks so the black neoprene shows through like the main tank. The new sink and counter are in the back ground.

gallery_2633915_1398_16480.jpg

So jelly! Great idea in the corner cut. I would have bruises on my hip all day everyday instead of thinking about that!

Here is the sink, counter, and refrigerator. I decided I had to replace the not so good plastic faucet that came with the tub. I found a nice metal one that has a spray nozzle which should help with clean up. Counter is all marine grade plywood that has been primed, and painted with a waterproof paint. Used a composite trim piece for the back splash that has been caulked top and bottom. The frig was the same height as the sink so we had to cut out some of the trim on the front edge so it would open. The counter is 24" x24" on each side of the sink for some good work space. The tub was the largest I could find. After running the counter over the top edge I have an undermount tub which has an opening of 19" x 36". RO/DI will get mounted on the side wall. I also installed two 14" x 14" access panels, one above the counter and one below the counter on the right wall. This will allow access to a PVC sleeve I have run from this room to the storage room so I can have access in back of all the walls for plumbing or wires. The lower one is to access the sewer line cleanout for the house. Grey mark on the floor below the counter on the right is the fresh concrete that we installed to patch the drainline connection below the slab. Need to wait one month before we stain it like the rest of the floor.

gallery_2633915_1398_81732.jpg

So jelly! Great idea in the corner cut. I would have bruises on my hip all day everyday instead of thinking about that!

Thanks! I do this kind of stuff for a living, so I like to make sure everything is functional, and try to view how the space will be used.

You've done an amazing job on your fishroom really nice;-)

Thank you very much Motti! The real question is why have we not seen a picture of your system in 2 months! :ohmy:

FTS!, FTS!, :bounce: :bounce:  we want a FTS!

Will the QT frag tank run on a separate system from the grow out frag tank? Will the DT tank be on its own system or shared with the grow out frag tank?