Preventing glass top condensation? Has anyone done it?

I've got a glass top on my IM 30 tank because I have humidity issues in my basement. 
Is there anyway to prevent the condensate build up? Defogger or something?
I'm worried about the variability it inflicts on the PAR in my tank.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I switched to LED lighting and the issue completely went away.

Edit* Off the top of my head a possible fix would be to install a couple spacers around the rim of your tank to raise the glass a little bit. This would create a small gap between the tank and the glass and you could run a fan to pull outside air under the glass on one side and out from under the glass on the other side. This might be enough to keep the temperature low enough to prevent condensation, or enough to dissipate the humidity trapped underneath.

Edited by Happyfeet

Interesting question. I pulled the glass tops from my old 90 years ago for the same reason. Tagging along to see if there are any innovative ideas.

(I was using halides, then.)

I'm considering getting glass tops made for my rimless 75 with leds but didn't do it yet because of condensation concerns.  Tagging along for ideas too.

BTW, I had a smoked gray glass overflow box lid made at Laurel glass 3 feet long by 2.5" wide, 1/4 inch thick.  Hand finished and beveled (didn't fit in their finishing machine), and it's very nice.  Twenty Bucks.  Would have been 15 if it was clear glass.  I'd get the glass tops made there and put clear rubber feet on the corner to have them sit on the corners of the tank with 1/4" gap or so.  Maybe a fan in the back corner keeping it dry?

I have LEDs on a Nuvo and I still get condensation as well. I don't really see how switching lights has that much to do with it. I understand the added heat of say MHs, but I don't see the light matters. The Nuvo lids even have 2 holes.

I get condensation after the lights go out but, will evaporate when the glass warms up and the fans are running after the lights (T5s) come on. Also, I have two panes that do not completely cover (front to back).  I leave gaps of about 3/4 between each and along the front and back allowing for evaporation to escape.  

There will always be condensation if you dont leave gaps.

If you must have a top, use a screen top. No condensation and you get proper air flow.

There will always be condensation if you dont leave gaps.

If you must have a top, use a screen top. No condensation and you get proper air flow.

Sure, but screen top looks like doodoo over my rimless tank.

I didn't think they looked that bad on mine

fts0924_zps6c715c6e.jpg

I was going to say, you can get pretty nice clear tops for rimless. Never PERFECT, but close. I figured brad was seconds away from posting that pic.

I'm happy to be proven wrong.

I recalled Brad having a custom nano top for his. Do you have any closer pics of how you did that or a reference for someone that can make a clear frame to hold the clear netting?

I'm happy to be proven wrong.

I recalled Brad having a custom nano top for his. Do you have any closer pics of how you did that or a reference for someone that can make a clear frame to hold the clear netting?

PicO Aquariums has made all the clear acrylic tops I've used.

I can take pictures of one I have at home....Which reminds me I have to send it back and have a custom cut one made.

Edited by brad908

Great, will check them out.  To be clear, is that what is pictured above?  A clear acrylic frame with clear netting in it?  I don't see that as a product on their website...

PicO Aquariums has made all the clear acrylic tops I've used.

I can take pictures of one I have at home....Which reminds me I have to send it back and have a custom cut one made.

That top looks a little different but i've seen acrylic tops made that essentially look like a eurobrace with a groove routed out to install the netting. It looked pretty slick...lemme see if i can find the link...

Of note the tank has a Radion XR30 for lighting running at 75% and the top is the IM top where are spacers + two holes for holds to pick the thing up. 

That top looks a little different but i've seen acrylic tops made that essentially look like a eurobrace with a groove routed out to install the netting. It looked pretty slick...lemme see if i can find the link...

Sounds slick...

is it possible to lower the top so that it touches the water, may have to trim it so it fits in the tank and the install some posts for it to sit on,

the 156g has a glass center brace that does the same thing, when i saw one with the overflows still in it the water actually touched the glass (since i did my own overflow i guess its a little lower) and you can always see down.

acrylic will bow im sure so as long as there is a constant water level i would think this could work for these small tanks as well.

Jason, I had the same issue with that tank which is the reason why I used a screen top. Keep in mind I was growing SPS just fine at a peak intensity of 40% with that same light.

If you go the screen top route, I would lower the intensity of that light as it truly is overkill on that small of a tank.

Great, will check them out.  To be clear, is that what is pictured above?  A clear acrylic frame with clear netting in it?  I don't see that as a product on their website...

Only pic I could find on my photobucket

nanobox0924_zpsc611f71d.jpg

Just a clear acrylic frame with little black screws to hold the netting.

If you go on their site > accessories > pico 20g net screen cover.

Easier to just email Chris with your dimensions and ask for a quote.