Please Help My Anemone

Squishie89

I have a DayGlo Anemone. Starting about 2-3 weeks ago she started expelling zooxanthelle and/or waste. The reason I say it was zoox. is because I can see color missing from tentacles and oral disk area. And she has just been heading downhill since. I have been feeding her and that doesn't seem to be helping any (I would feed her every so often some brine/mysis. Once she started looking bad I tried to feed some clam bits, she didn't really like it, so I have gone back to the brine/mysis almost every day if she is not completely deflated). I tested yesterday and got- API; pH 8.0, Ammonia ~0-.25 (I can never tell with this, but it looked closer to 0), N03- 10-20ppm, Phosphate- .25-.5. Salifert; N03- ~10. Salinity is at 1.025. I have 2 LED fixtures from buildmyled.com on the tank. The 'nem hosts one male clownfish and a porcelain crab. As I look through photos, she started on a downhill around the start of the year. This anemone used to GLOW, but she became duller and duller, and then started expelling zoox.
I just don't know what to do. I don't want to lose her!

This is her tonight;
stwy.jpg
8fnx.jpg

This was her yesterday
fljl.jpg

This was on 1/10
pe0v.jpg

This was 12/18 (anemone is on left side)
hat7.jpg

12/15
3w8s.jpg

12/13
2qvc.jpg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You shouldn't feed everyday if it's struggling then digesting food is expending extra energy that it needs right now. I would let it be for a few days. I have had anemones do this before and after being left alone they came back fine.

(edited)

No new fish or equipment (I take that back, added new heater on 12/8). Trying to think about any changes. I know I have sold and bought a few corals, but nothing in her (the 'nem's) area.
I just looked in my notebook and on 12/8 my heater failed and the tank went down to 73 when it is usually at 78. I did also add berghia's on 12/17. And I attempted to kill some flatworms with hot tap water on 12/29. I am thinking of running some carbon in case there is a toxin problem.

Edited by Squishie89

I would stop feeding for now as camelcruiser suggested. If it is still expelling then make sure the lighting isn't too bright. Have you done anything like add carbon that might clear the water up and let more light hit the anemone? I would also do a large water change as I've found it helps greatly in turning around an ailing anemone or coral. Plus, it would help get your nitrates lower.

Yeah I was going to start using Red Sea’s N03:PO4-X tonight. I just put in a bag of carbon because I have a theory now that it may be flatworm toxins. I do do 20g water changes 1x a week. But I will try and do a larger one, like 25g this week.

I would also put a cage around it and give it a break from the clown fish.  Its a pretty big clown for a small an ailing nem. 

Don't know if it applies but I have embarrassingly high Nitrates ( well over 20 ) and my BTAs are thriving in it.  I am always trying to get rid my constantly splitting BTAs. I never feed my BTAs.

I would also put a cage around it and give it a break from the clown fish.  Its a pretty big clown for a small an ailing nem. 

I will try and work on this, thank you for the advice

Anemone took an especially bad turn today and is quite shrunken. I tried to put things over the anemone but it was either not heavy enough or doesn't allow a lot of light through. So I put something next to it, which is scaring the clowns away, and the anemone can still get light. She is still alive, but continues to expel zoox/waste. I am still holding out hope she can recover, but not holding my breath. I am going to do a 25g water change this weekend to also try and help, maybe more carbon in the sump.

Do you have somebody close that would be willing to try it in their tank? Have you done any water changes? Everything else looks good?

(edited)

Do you have somebody close that would be willing to try it in their tank? Have you done any water changes? Everything else looks good?

Possibly, not sure. I do water changes, 20% every week. Everything else is great, corals are growing/eating/splitting, fish are good, all other inverts are good (including a new rock 'nem I got at the meet). I am thinking it is the male clown loving it too much. The anemone had a break this evening due to me putting crap in the tank near the 'nem to keep him away, and although she still looks bad, she was open and sort of inflated.

Can you try can move it to a qt tank?

I do actually have a QT set up right now, but I have never quarantined an invert, let alone an anemone and I am afraid I would possibly do more harm than good. I have been considering setting up an intank isolation chamber for her (the 'nem) though.

As I remember this anemone is not easily moveable, yes?  

Yeah not super easy. Definitely possible, just 2 rocks potentially need to be moved, so it could be done, but if I can help it I rather not resort to it.

Edited by Squishie89

Is taking the clown out not an option ?

Is taking the clown out not an option ?

I will say yes, that is an option. I could put him in the QT or in an isolation chamber.

I guess someone needs to move, right? =/

I got a cover over the anemone, and I will be working on a more efficient one that lets light through. Right now it lets about 50-25% of light through, will the anemone be okay for now (lights are off right now, but I think you know what I mean)? I figure maybe keeping the clown out is better as of now.

I figure maybe keeping the clown out is better as of now.

Seems that way!

My flower pot goniopora coral was looking bad. Took it out away from the maroon last week and it looks sooo much better. Sometimes they can literally "love it to death" lol At least it will give it some rest and space until  you can figure out whats up.

I would stop feeding for now as camelcruiser suggested. If it is still expelling then make sure the lighting isn't too bright. Have you done anything like add carbon that might clear the water up and let more light hit the anemone? I would also do a large water change as I've found it helps greatly in turning around an ailing anemone or coral. Plus, it would help get your nitrates lower.

1+ Big water changes seem to always help my tank when something is looking bad.

Some very encouraging news. The anemone had the cover on all night and day, and although she is still looking quite rough, she was stretching for light and looking a bit more anemone like. I just cut more holes in the strainer so hopefully more light and flow can get through. So it does seem as of now, the clown was loving it too hard. I am still prepping to do a 25g water change tomorrow because that never hurts in these situations. I hope I can update soon that she is returning to normal. I am still considering putting the male clown in an in tank isolation so the anemone can do as she pleases, but not split up my pair of clowns.

I don't know if this would help, but maybe you can add another anemone with the clown in isolation. Then move both anemone and clown back to the dt. And hope the clown will take to a new anemone host when moved back.

I don't know if this would help, but maybe you can add another anemone with the clown in isolation. Then move both anemone and clown back to the dt. And hope the clown will take to a new anemone host when moved back.

I may consider that, I would be concerned he would just over love that one too! Not to mention, the clowns only stay on the left side, and I don't want to mess with their dynamics too much by adding another anemone into the mix.