Please Help My Anemone

Squishie89

Good news and sort of bad news. I did the 25g water change, already making water for the next one.
The anemone was obviously not liking the strainer on top of her and I think she was going to move. I tried to catch the male clownfish. In the process of not catching him, I knocked over the rock with the anemone. She was only 10% holding on at that point (but did not look injured). I decided to stop chasing the clown and put the anemone and her rock in an isolation chamber in the tank. It is not perfect, and I really have no clue if this will work. I just winging it and responding to what she tells/shows me. She was sort of just hanging on to the rock so I placed her back on the rock and it looks like she has already re-attached.
The male clown was very confused and I told him very sternly, while pointing at him, "YOU did this, YOU."
27y7.jpg
w0wi.jpg
1f67.jpg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the anemone was doing pretty decent (for her current state) today. I moved her and her container to the side of the tank so she could get more light. If she continues to do well (staying relatively put, opening, etc.), when/if should I try and feed her? Is there anything else I can do to help her recover? Luckily the clownfish will not leave the left side unless threatened, so the anemone is clownfish free.

You don't have to feed the anemone. Over feeding might be why its the way it is. Be patient and just wait til its 100%. Why the rush and need to feed? A fair amount of people will never target feed them and they do just fine. Could be you are loving the anemone to death.

I agree...leave it somewhere for a few days and let it settle. I have never fed any of my nems ... And they always grow and split...but let it get acclimated to one place and see....

I used to feed my nems as well, since I started in the 150, that's 3' of space I have trouble reaching the bottom, with lots of flow. I stopped spot feeding everything, and it's all done fine.

Agree with not feeding. And awesome job getting her to a safe place!  She already looks better.

I'd give her a little time to heal up, maybe a week or so and try to place her on the opposite side of the tank from the clown. 

I just want to help her as much as I can.

I will continue with not feeding her. Thank you guys.

What is kind of nice is the clowns are back to being more of a couple. The anemone was sort of like the other woman and caused a lot of tension between them. If/when the nem recovers I may keep her on the right side for the sexy shrimp.

Sent from my toaster using tapatalk2

• 2 weeks later...

So for the past 10 days the anemone has stayed under her rock in the shade. Expelled waste/zoox a few times and otherwise just sulked.
zsfv.jpg
Pretty much how she has looked for the past 10 days, sometimes becoming deflated and retracted to expel stuff.

Today she finally did something different, she is stretching like crazy so she can get some light! I am taking this as a good sign as light = food = energy/healing!
j39p.jpg

Last night I had mentioned to my Dad that maybe we were keeping her alive for our sake, hinting that maybe she needed to be euthanized. But I have renewed hope!

Wow, I am just amazed with her turn around. I hope she continues on this path. Just for the record I have always fed my anemones. Don't know if good or bad, but that is how the get nutrience in the wild as well as light so it just seems like they might need something from the food that they don't get from the light. 

She half came out today, but at least it is improvement! Watching her just hide in shadows is hard. I am continuing with not feeding her as I am just so unsure of what she wants, I may try and give her a zooxanthelle liquid food (god knows how I will get that in her) and see if that helps.  As with all of my critters, if they are fighting to stay alive, I will fight with them.

Go Squishie! 

I sometimes try to remember that these simple animals have really good instincts. If she is hiding, there is hopefully a good reason for it.

It's nice to see her coming out a little bit though. 

Posted Image

I have mesh covering the overflow because of stupid pipefish and it has turned into brittle star jail. At dinner they flail their arms from behind the mesh begging for food.

Sent from my toaster using tapatalk2

That's pretty funny stuff, they are all inside my rock, first time I saw the flailing tentacles I was so confused!

Brittle star jail.... that is awesome. I have a million too. At feeding it looks like my rock is going to walk away. 

As far as your nem, I have no idea. I can't even tell which end is up. What is the reddish pick thing? 

The pink thing to the left is coraline on the rock that she is attached to.

I am not sure what happened but she is super shriveled up and expelling waste/zoox. right now =/

Pooping? My RBTA goes into a withered close to dead state once a day and poos. It's pretty regular, around 5pm, you would think I fed it yogurt.

Yeah but this nem has not been doing well for some time.  It's not just looking odd for a few minutes. 

I don't know what to tell you. I would either leave it alone, or move it to better light and then leave it alone. At this point as long as it doesn't melt and pollute the tank i would wait and see what happens. 

Yeah that is pretty much the plan I have been going with. It is just so hard that I can't do anything else for her! I try and tell myself that if she wanted more light or flow, she could move to get it. =/

Pooping? My RBTA goes into a withered close to dead state once a day and poos. It's pretty regular, around 5pm, you would think I fed it yogurt.

Really? I have never seen mine do that. Do you feed it huge chunks of frozen?