Please Help My Anemone

Squishie89

Is it remaining attached in one place or is it detaching? Sometimes withdrawing, inflating the pedal stem, and detaching is a defensive maneuver. I'm thinking that this is an unlikely explanation, but I wanted to toss it out there just in case you've not considered it. Have you fed it a silverside or something recently?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not feed her at all, and due to her position she does not even get any of the food that flows around the tank (and all fish are accounted for). She has not detached or moved for almost 2 weeks, if she wants something she just stretches.

Edited by Squishie89

I vote just let her be. If she has a strong foot, then there is the ability to move towards what she wants. Just keep an eye out.

Are your phosphates really at .25 - .5?

If so, that is extremely high... Might want to add some GFO or dose lanthanum chloride... That could very well be a part of the anemone distress, although I am thinking you have that number wrong as there is no nuisance algae I can see.

Eh I got the algae, it just hides well. Bubble algae is my biggest one right now (and I do have macro algae in the fuge) but there is some cyano and some other green algae, it isn't hair algae but maybe a caulerpa. I am dosing Red Sea NoPox at the moment to try and get nitrates and phosphates down.

I have seen my hippo tang and 6 line eat them probably why I don't have many brittles unless I take the rock out and inspect crevices. As far as the nem goes I havnt seen my BTA poop. It does shrink up when there is no light at night. Is it getting enough light? Although I do think it would move on its own to a better location. One would think BTA have brains. Mine has eluded me, out smarted me and I sear one winked at me after stinging a coral.

The anemone is still hanging in there. I noticed she would improve if I let her have some time outside the box. I figured this was either due to flow or not enough water exchange happening inside the box. So I made her a new box out of egg crate. That was the easy part. Mounting the box is what proved troublesome. I have it attached with plastic string, but I want to do something else as soon as I can come up with something else.
k9q8.jpg
The anemone waiting for me to finish fixing the box
itac.jpg
The box. ~10x7x4 inches.

The nem looks like it will be just fine.

I would just worry about a more long term solution with your clowns, if they are that rough.

Super off the wall thought (also thanks for the reply to my threads about anems) sicne eveyone else has covered all the normal avenues. I've been reading a lot about exotic anems and the shady practice of dye jobbing them. From what I've been seeing is if the tentacles and base have a pretty uniform color (apparently there should be some pretty natural speckling and other striations in natural anems) they could be a dye job anem? Reason I'm asking is because I'm planning on ordering from the same place you got yours.

Seems super unlikely but I figured I'd ask. 
Best of luck I'd hate to see such an awesome anem die. 
Hope all gets better

Edited by jason the filter freak

Super off the wall thought (also thanks for the reply to my threads about anems) since everyone else has covered all the normal avenues. I've been reading a lot about exotic anems and the shady practice of dye jobbing them. From what I've been seeing is if the tentacles and base have a pretty uniform color (apparently there should be some pretty natural speckling and other striations in natural anems) they could be a dye job anem? Reason I'm asking is because I'm planning on ordering from the same place you got yours.

Seems super unlikely but I figured I'd ask. 

Best of luck I'd hate to see such an awesome anem die. 

Hope all gets better

That is a very interesting point, and not something I will rule out. It makes me think to all the gross stuff she has expelled.

The 'nem actually expelled a mostly clear blob of goo. Maybe that is her way of telling me she likes the box? Who knows.

I'm no expert, but that does not look like a dyed nem to me. JMO. Glad it's turning around.

You guys are not going to believe what I saw today
0ccp.jpg
6crv.jpg
The anemone moved herself and is in full light! I am almost so happy I could cry.

Halleluja! Great to see this working out!

So Awesome!! So what can we learn? Do you think it was the water changes and water quality or the clowns beating up on it?

So Awesome!! So what can we learn? Do you think it was the water changes and water quality or the clowns beating up on it?

That is a really good question. I think it was a combination of the clowns beating on her and also a bit of water quality. I have been using red sea NOPOX and it has my nitrates down into single digits, which is pretty amazing. She also has had almost nothing to eat.

I am hoping that once she is healthy and stable she can be let out of iso. and I am thinking of trying to buy a second hand anemone that has previously been a host, that way the clowns can have a host and this anemone can live freely. I would hate to sell her as she is so beautiful (even in her duller/bleached state I find her beautiful) and we have been through so much.

My clowns host a series of things in my tank (mostly the 2 nems) but they never leave one alone. They also used to love my frogspawn to death. Don't bank on them leaving it alone if you think its the problem, JMO.

As for water quality, at least in my case, Nitrates are clearly not an issue.  My 16G is exploding with BTAs and Nitrates is over 100 !  My clowns are thriving in it, laying eggs every week.

So yesterday she spent hiding (she waited till lights went off to move) and today she has been back in the light/flow. It looked like she was trying to push her foot out of the egg crate so I moved the rock a bit and wafted water at her flesh outside of the box so it would seem unfavorable out =P She is actually starting to look like an anemone (or maybe an odd mushroom) again!
rghe.jpg
(I have no idea what is up with that 2 headed tentacle)
ofm5.jpg
xo06.jpg
9jql.jpg