Motti's 265 inwall Display + Fishroom build

motti

I would not say you need to learn to take good pics, those are great!

Trial and error or finding someone that can tell you exactly what to do it probably the way to go, and I am not the one to tell you! :laugh:

When I used to take picture back in the 80's I remember that writing down your settings so you know how each shot was taken helped.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! Had to take 10-20 pictures to get a good one. Going to play with different lenses in the future.

Found some nice reading materials on RC and reefkeeping mag

Thanks! Had to take 10-20 pictures to get a good one. Going to play with different lenses in the future.

Found some nice reading materials on RC and reefkeeping mag

Can you post a link to any of them? I am always looking for some info on how to take better pics of the tank and the macro pics.  thx

Will post those links tonight. I should have made a nice book mark for all of those :) oh well.

Also wanted to share something cool which I didn't know about. chalice has really long sweeper tentacles. I was working on my sump just now and I looked up at the frag tank. And the piece I got from The frag fast had at least 1-2" sweepers.

Here's a picture:

eje5a8e3.jpg

Where did you place it in your tank? I still got him in my frag tank, I'll probably be moving all the frags over to the display tank this weekend.

On another note, finally finished the qt setup, took me over a month to complete... Been a little lazy. The tank is 20 long. I am planning to fill it up with about 15g of water. Got tetra wisper ex20 as the filter and two air bars for aeration... I haven't decided if I want to run it full time or not yet. I am not planning to buy any fish on the next month and a half. I'll probably pick up the first fish from Marco. Once I decide which ones I want lol.

Here are few pictures:

ubu7ymuh.jpg

suhatapa.jpg

Where did you place it in your tank? I still got him in my frag tank, I'll probably be moving all the frags over to the display tank this weekend.

On another note, finally finished the qt setup, took me over a month to complete... Been a little lazy. The tank is 20 long. I am planning to fill it up with about 15g of water. Got tetra wisper ex20 as the filter and two air bars for aeration... I haven't decided if I want to run it full time or not yet. I am not planning to buy any fish on the next month and a half. I'll probably pick up the first fish from Marco. Once I decide which ones I want lol.

Here are few pictures:

ubu7ymuh.jpg

suhatapa.jpg

He's on my frag rock (flat rock elevated off the sand on the right side of my tank when you look at the pictures in my build).  It gets a good mix of light, some current, but not strong flow.  Then as things do well there I move them around.  Mine is doing amazing (again, see the pics in the build thread) compared to how it looked when I brought it home.  Chalices are supposed to be mid to low lighting. This guy is definitely in the mid range in my tank. 

good on you bud with the qt setup.

work on that list and i'll be ready when you are to get some fish in there!

Edited by monkiboy

• 2 months later...

It's been a very very long time since my last update... So I'll try to recap all the updates that happened during the past two months.

Firstly I went on vacation in September for about three weeks. A week before I left I found monti eating nudibranches on one of the monti caps I got from the frag fast. I tried to eliminate them before my vacation by doing dips every two days and scrabbling the coral back. And I thought I got rid of them.

When I got backi found out that the little suckers managed to survive and found 2 caps completely white and nudis on several other caps.

Couple days after I got back I went to petco and got a small heater 5 gallon tank and set up quarantine tank for corals. I placed the rest of the montis in there for about 3 weeks and I believe I am free of monti eating nudis now.

Now I am working in building a small cabinet for the coral QT tank that will house the trash can for the fish room few small shelves to store some stuff and the tank.

4b0a50af8bc6a7fd53e04b8dd48d8392.jpg

5840424e9922cc71901b41078f64be5e.jpg

I am hoping to finish priming and painting it white to match the sink cabinet tomorrow and connect an old reefkeeper controller to it and keep it running with a little bit of live rock

• 2 weeks later...

First fish are finally in. Picked up 7 lyrtail anthias from Marco and Richard today.

e0d6945c50b3233c7a15f2d8e6446d79.jpg

Mangrove starts to sprout finally

2bace8934b28d6d0329826f8a82c26be.jpg

Motti's making a come back.......Where is the pic of the male anthias?

He's lazy... Almost like me haha. He was chilling underneath the rock structure

I love the way they school.

I just think this hobby has times where it is go, go, go, and times where you have other things in life to do. I look at it as a 10 year project.

before i went on my vacation in September, I've borrowed the club's PAR meter to take some measurements. Wanted to post those long time ago, but never got to it. so here we go.

For the frag tank, I am using 2 Lumia 5.2 packs, no optics, the measurements seems really low, but everything looks go and colors up nicely., it's good to add, that several of the montis in this picture didn't survive the monti eating nudibranch attack... including the purple one, and the green one i got from the Frag fast (source), also the green one with the orange polpys didn't make it, it's in the left bottom corner in the picture.

15789675182_f7708293ee_o_d.png

Next is the frag tank, using a custom built Radion G3 fixture, which includes two packs.  picture came really dark for some odd reason.

15168156314_183515eb0e_o_d.png

And last is the display tank, running 5 custom made radion G3 fixture, each one has 2 pucks. mounted about 1.5-2' from the water line.

15603278910_4284970bd4_o_d.png

I am really interested in finding out what other radion g3 users have measured using the clubs PAR meter. Also is there a calculation available to convert the par reading from LEDs to the one that would have been taken under MHs for example?

1.5' -2' off the waterline? isn't that pretty high off the water?

I don't know, I am getting good coverage, nothing is browning or bleaching... so i guess it's ok. seen few stores that have their LEDs up high.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know, I am getting good coverage, nothing is browning or bleaching... so i guess it's ok. seen few stores that have their LEDs up high.

I've got mine 16 inches off the water... Gets good spread that way...

I agree. I had the g3pros mounted higher and at 100% to get more spread. I never ended up with the wide angle lenses, but that was my next step if I stayed with them. Corals did fine.

Nice tanks! Thanks for taking the time to add the PAR readings!

Thanks Rob!

A quick update on the anthias... 6 of the original anthias got mysteriously sick with fin rot... I guess something in my yank stress the H-E-double hockey sticks out of them. Marco and Richard were nice enough to give me replacements for the lost fish.

It's been about 4 days since the replacements arrived and since I pulled the last dead anthia from the tank. I hope they stay healthy moving forward

dec0ca05f129c78f6f0ffa90491e4db7.jpg

d99544aea832506dbe96f9df334946a8.jpg

And a quick full tank shot.

2ede0f6ed1504f6495c12fb44e9dd895.jpg

I am going to be moving about 15-20 frags to the display tank tomorrow night so I'll have some space to buy new frags over Black Friday weekend.

Picked up more fish from Marco on Wednesday. 4 purple firefish, yellow coris, 2 sleeper yellow head gobies and long nose butterfly.

5e33ac0452a05a84c2b4d5d5ba59f272.jpg

91c33c7168cb1bb2193beb56a4d68a26.jpg

bbc36503dfeb674120139e1390978897.jpg

423e04905d12d691dd72a7b75c95143e.jpg

144d8afae4949810f4e96059b383f7f1.jpg

Haven't seen the yellow coris since I put him in the tank. Read that they can stay under the sand for days. Hopefully he'll come out soon