Bubble Trouble!

Duke

Just a couple of nights ago I noticed little bubbly substance on my rocks, I didn't really think much if it. Now I'm getting worried, it's taken over half my rocks and now onto my corals! I'm 100% sure this is bubble algae. I've tried fighting it with a turkey Baster but its literally an uphill battle.

Has anyone dealt with this issue?Posted Image

I need help! I don't know what to do.

Don't pop any of them, it will make it worse. Small Emerald and ruby crabs will eat them, someone recently posted, a kalk paste to help get rid of them.

Here's a shot of one that's stuck to my glass

Posted Image

Wouldn't the crabs make it worst by spreading the spores?

I did leave my wp40 unplugged for at least a week. I figured it was too much flow for a 46g. Right now I was just running a maxijet. Maybe that was what caused it in the beginning?

It has been running since July. I originally had it running on a canister filter. I recently just got a overflow box and now it's running thru a 10g sump with a sca1 skimmer.

On another note. I have noticed a lot of bubbles floating to the surfaces. A lot more than I ever had since I've had this tank running.

Those bubbles are getting stuck under the Cyano. You should notice a difference if you increase your flow. If you turn off all circulation I'd be willing to bet you would have tons of bubbles everywhere in no time

Well hopefully turning back on my wave maker solves this problem. I do notice bubbles are trapped under what appears to be purple, violet slim.

Thanks for everyone's help!

yeah, bubble algae are firm bubbles. this is cyano and everyone's advice is spot on. better water quality, time, and more flow. the areas with the cyano are the dead spots in your tank where detritus has likely settled as well. just get to doing a bit of maintenance and you'll be good as new in no time.

Edited by monkiboy

Maybe get a critter for cleanup that eats cyanobacteria? I cant put my finger on one, but I imagine something eats it.

Do you test nitrate and phosphate? Do you use tap water? Are you dumping in too much light?

I wonder if your PO4 and NO3 are really high. Skimming doesnt get rid of them. Water changes with DI mixed new salt and macro algae growth in a fuge with a strong light does.

You're at the 4/5 month mark of your tank? Sounds about right. Routine (or up your) maintenance and it'll go away. It's part of the natural cycle of your tank. Some faster, some slower. It took about 2 months for me.

Here's my adventure documented:

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/57843-is-this-cyano/

I am using RODI water. My girlfriend recently lend me her d120 led to better growth my sps.

Should I run a gfo when I upgrade to my 125g?

I am using RODI water. My girlfriend recently lend me her d120 led to better growth my sps.

Should I run a gfo when I upgrade to my 125g?

I wouldn't, a lot of people have had cyno outbreaks once they switch to the LED's, or have a young/just starting up tank. Like suggested, cut your photo period down, or all together for a couple days. Focus on your water quality, and flow. No need to add chemi I wouldn't start dosing anything or running anything that you're not currently doing, just my opinion, although you should do what works for you, and do what makes sense. Research GFO and see what people have to say about it before presuming you should make it an addition to your tank.