Mike's 17gal tank

You turned those corals around! Must have been the light, huh?

Yea, this light is awesome.  Now I just need to get this ballast swapped hoping that the other two bulbs will work again.  It's def not the bulbs since they fired up in the other spaces.

Taking the powermodule apart is a pita.  I need to get some small wrenches and this star drill bit to get the ballasts to slide out.  I have ERC getting me two new ballasts, figuring I will replace both while I have it all open up.  I just hope that makes it work right again. 

In the meantime I lowered the fixture down to just a few inches off the water, so the par should be fine for a week or so.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I've been defeated.  My powermodule went out on me, and I thought I would be able to fix it.  A week later I wasn't and I noticed the SPS going south fast.  Tank is going to stay setup, but getting overhauled.  Have a Sunpower on order to replace the dead powermodule.  Also, going to switch directions with coral, and thinking about LPS.  Not so much tiny lepto, acan, or chalice frags.  More along the lines of trachy, scoly, frogspawn, torches, and things like that.

While I am redoing the tank I am going to paint the back black, and add some black sand.  Should be neat with the glowing lps corals.  I might swap out a coral plus with an actinic bulb since the LPS won't need crazy par either.

I'm actually glad to be switching.  It takes only a week for SPS to go south when something happens then 6 months to bring them back around. 

I share the same sentiments. Everything I had switched in the tanks that made it happened to be zoos. SPS all went south. Granted, I stopped caring for a bit. I kind of wish you got the ati going though, what's the plan with it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I share the same sentiments. Everything I had switched in the tanks that made it happened to be zoos. SPS all went south. Granted, I stopped caring for a bit. I kind of wish you got the ati going though, what's the plan with it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's been donated for parts. 

Painted the back glass black, and added some fun carib sea sand that is black and white speckled.  Also, went to town with the epoxy making a new structure.

16991217568_984b98b285_c.jpg20150412_185347 by mteske1, on Flickr

16991217538_8b9c4e7535_c.jpg20150413_182416 by mteske1, on Flickr

16991217468_dbdbf1a1be_c.jpg20150413_183653 by mteske1, on Flickr

And yea, I am done with SPS for now.

And yea, I am done with SPS for now.

He says for now. I give it a few months for a piece or two to make it into the tank :)

• 1 month later...

He says for now. I give it a few months for a piece or two to make it into the tank :)

Well, the new light is en route for arrival tomorrow.  Going to be a 4 bulb sunpower.

I sold off the dosing pumps b/c there will be NO sps Eric!!!

What I am on the fence is whether to go soft corals or LPS.  I am thinking soft corals will be the best option with a baby girl due in just 3 months.  Both for the sake of budgetary and time constraints.  I always like pulsing xenia, gsp, Kenya tree, mushrooms, etc. 

Another option is a RBTA and clowns.  It's always fun to watch tanks with symbiotic relationships.  I could get a ywg and shrimp combo maybe.

Well, the new light is en route for arrival tomorrow.  Going to be a 4 bulb sunpower.

I sold off the dosing pumps b/c there will be NO sps Eric!!!

What I am on the fence is whether to go soft corals or LPS.  I am thinking soft corals will be the best option with a baby girl due in just 3 months.  Both for the sake of budgetary and time constraints.  I always like pulsing xenia, gsp, Kenya tree, mushrooms, etc. 

Another option is a RBTA and clowns.  It's always fun to watch tanks with symbiotic relationships.  I could get a ywg and shrimp combo maybe.

I installed a nano at the office. I thought it was going to be a wash, but all staff think it is the most amazing thing in the world. About 5 gallons, 2 RBTA's, and a clown. The maintenance is super easy, it looks great, and I don't have to worry about much.

Honestly, I'm enjoying the office tank more than I enjoy the ADA at home, packed with goodies. I think if you went with the anemones and a nice looking hosting clown pair, your family would probably really enjoy it. Just my 2 cents.

Looks good thus far. I personally like corals more and if you stay softies/zoas the tank will be super easy to maintain and put little time into. The only downfall is most soft coral tends to grow really fast and you have a small tank.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I decided to go mushroom corals in the tank.  Some really cool colors available now, and I just received an awesome order from Supreme Reefs.  So nice to do a single order rather than one shroom here one there.  Ben really gave me a nice variety pack.

18776858335_17c8a6bc4f_z.jpg20150613_145448 by mteske1, on Flickr

18589124150_75c69dc568_z.jpg20150613_145318 by mteske1, on Flickr

Cool. Definitely a unique style tank that won't take a lot of effort!

I don't mind the effort.  I am looking for something that won't take a lot of skill... hahahaha :laugh:

I feel that! Regardless, it will be refreshing. There certainly are some awesome bounce shrooms that I am constantly admiring and consider.

• 1 month later...

Congrats, dad! That's huge, be proud, looks like a real cutie! We will miss you at MACNA, but understand!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sticking around for another year then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk