Came home to a rancid stink...

YHSublime

Found my 29 gallon biocube with all my overstocked frags and a clam I had just gotten, at about 95 degrees. Heater malfunctioned and pretty much boiled my tank.

Still have my 57, but I had just moved a bunch of things last night till i could find proper placement. just lost some big colonies of zoas, all my frogspawn, and my green hulk paly rock that I started with. Also lost a bush of liams cloves. Took the zoas and put them in my 57, but can't tell if they will make it or not, or if that is a terrible idea? Really bummed, I just lost some of my favorite SPS, and a nice clam :/

Sorry about the losses, Isaac. I've got some pink tipped frogspawn for you if you want it. How much did you lose?

Sorry about the losses, Isaac. I've got some pink tipped frogspawn for you if you want it. How much did you lose?

Thanks, Tom. I might take you up on that in the future. I lost my 3 headed green frogspawn, a small colony I had been growing out of frogspawn, my pink tipped frogspawn, about 50 polyps of candy apples, and about 30 polyps of what I think were fire and ice. about 25 polyps of my hulk green pallys, and a rock that was covered with different colored liams cloves. And a 4 inch purple tipped clam, which I had to take out to the trash it stunk pretty bad.

Do you think it's a bad idea putting any of the stuff that looks like maybe it will survive in my display tank? Or should I cut my losses and toss it?

what kind of heater was it that failed? thats a bummer dude. would offer u some of my zoas if you lived closer

It was a stealth pro. Thanks for the offer. I still have a fair amount of corals, it's just a bummer that I literally put my frag racks into it last night with all the other stuff I couldn't find a perfect spot for.

I know you have an Apex. Temp control brotha.

Not setup yet, and on my DT, not the bio. Can see how it would come in handy now though.

post-2633508-137332021177_thumb.jpg

This is the cloves

And this is the pally rock...

post-2633508-137332025053_thumb.jpg

Both put in my dt as soon as I found the tank heated, the temp swing alone could have made a difference, the water in my dt at 79 was refreshing on the hands.

Ugh, sorry to hear this happened to you.  I know you live in Arlington, but I have a small pink birdsnest frag you are welcome to have and a small rock full of purple clove polyps.

Give it a fresh rinse and put it in the main tank if there's not a whole lot of biomass.

If the tank is in the same room, just sacrifice one of your outlets to just run the heater on the Biocube. It's not like you NEED all of the outlets for your other tank. I'm in the process of trying to free up Apex outlets, because not everything is necessary to be on it.

Oooh do I feel for you!!!!! My great tank meltdown of thanksgiving 2012 just flashed before me.. .except I was in turks and Caicos . I lost virtually 10 years worth of tank. You will NEVER forget that smell.

I am so sorry this happened. The apex you have will save you in the future...which is no consolation right now. I am in frag city myself since I had to restart or I would offer up stuff :(

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sorry to hear. To make light of a bad subject, frag fest 2 weeks!! You can fill it back up.

Give it a fresh rinse and put it in the main tank if there's not a whole lot of biomass.

Thanks again Tom. Fingers crossed. Doubtful, but worth a shot.

If the tank is in the same room, just sacrifice one of your outlets to just run the heater on the Biocube. It's not like you NEED all of the outlets for your other tank. I'm in the process of trying to free up Apex outlets, because not everything is necessary to be on it.

Yeah, this tank is actually FS, I was literally using it as a holding tank for a couple of days, this might be the powers that be telling me I need to stop setting up new aquariums :tongue: That being said, I still have to get my Apex setup. I get it!

Oooh do I feel for you!!!!! My great tank meltdown of thanksgiving 2012 just flashed before me.. .except I was in turks and Caicos . I lost virtually 10 years worth of tank. You will NEVER forget that smell.

I am so sorry this happened. The apex you have will save you in the future...which is no consolation right now. I am in frag city myself since I had to restart or I would offer up stuff :(

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The clam was the culprit when it comes to stink. And the hermits and snails. Just hope I can get it aired out before the miss gets home! I'm not looking for corals, although I REALLY REALLY REALLY appreciate all the offers, this club is so great! I might take some frogspawn from some some folks, but it's no secret that I've got plenty of corals in my DT.

Ugh, sorry to hear this happened to you.  I know you live in Arlington, but I have a small pink birdsnest frag you are welcome to have and a small rock full of purple clove polyps.

That's very kind of you, thanks for the offer, but I think I am still doing alright.

Sorry to hear. To make light of a bad subject, frag fest 2 weeks!! You can fill it back up.

I've been terrified of frag fest for that sole reason. I've actually broken the whole thing down tonight, and thrown what I think might look like it will survive into my DT. My starfish has come out of nowhere and is up at the top of the glass doing splits. I know this is not a good sign, but everything else is opened, polyps out, and doing well. I've got about 20 gallons on hand just in case things head south.

I wish I had some corals to share with you.

A secondary controller is worth the money since heaters seem to malfunction so easily, and it seem normally in the on position. On tanks with no ACIII on it I have separate RANCO ETC's I use.

Sorry to hear. 

I guess it happens sometimes, it could have been worse, and been my DT!

Sorry man, that really bites!!

Bites indeed. I suspected my fiance at first ( :tongue: ) but she was just as distressed when she called me on the way home from work and found out.

I wish I had some corals to share with you.

A secondary controller is worth the money since heaters seem to malfunction so easily, and it seem normally in the on position. On tanks with no ACIII on it I have separate RANCO ETC's I use.

Ah, well, I really appreciate it. I've got plenty of frags in my display tank, it's just a bummer I took a big chunk out and placed it into a temporary home/DEATH!

The tank was up FS anyways, I was just using it as a holding tank. I guess it was the excuse I needed to break it down and be serious about the sale.

Man, so sorry to hear about this! Let me know if you need anything or if I can help in anyway.

Is it an old heater? I've heard of this happening a lot and it scares me too.

Man, so sorry to hear about this! Let me know if you need anything or if I can help in anyway.

Is it an old heater? I've heard of this happening a lot and it scares me too.

Thanks, Jack, I really appreciate it.

I'm just thankful it wasn't my display tank. If it happened of the 57 I would probably pack up and call it a day!

The heater came to me with a bunch of misc. supplies. I have had a collection of heaters, pumps, nets, and odds and ends ever since I was in freshwater. I guess it makes that Apex twice as valuable to me now!

Isaac,

sorry to hear about your losses.  I'm glad it wasn't your prize pieces but still never fun to come home to that.  When you're ready, I'm sure I can get you some frags as well.  

I have to say...after my heater issue they are now disposable items to me...I will only buy titanium and to me it's cheap peace of mind to replace them every year..I no longer trust them..now that you have an Apex you should probably have two heaters and be able to shut down one that goes rogue once your Apex alerts you to an issue. Never grab a used heater...not worth it