Should have known Better

yauger

That's what I am hearing.   I am willing to try one more thing before I go that route though.  

Good old, Biogaurd granular calcium chloride.  Mix 1lb of that in a 18g rubber maid bin and soak the rocks in it.  If that doesn't kill it, well.  I am afraid the only that will is probably copper. 

dude I wouldn't risk it, just buy some Marco dry rocks and do it right this time. Live rock from the ocean is too much of a gamble for pests.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dang I just remembered I don't have any good shots of how my tank looked before the crash. bummer X2

Did you check for ammonia? Are you running a carbon bomb yet? Some things to consider.

Did you check for ammonia? Are you running a carbon bomb yet? Some things to consider.

yeah I'm sure there is a spike. so much died I can't imagine not having a spike, the fish are fine and between my water changes yesterday, today, and tomorrow, I should be good with that. I'm running my carbon and GFO still and I might have to change that out after tomorrows WC. FML!!!

Must be really frustrated. But at least you learned, and so did the rest of us. Thanks for posting, be it to vent frustrations, or to spread wisdom, it's a good reminder to us, just unfortunate it happened to you!

Really sorry to hear about this.... and wishing you luck getting it all back healthy and beautiful again.... every time I've been considering getting out after some major losses and major time dumps I ended up getting a bigger tank!!  i'm interested in knowing more about people's experiences with the REd Slime remover, which I have used a couple of times with out the bad results you had.  

sorry to hear it josh. if i can help with water changes or restocking, don't hesitate to let me know. i'm sure ERC will have some really nice LPS for you if you go that route or need to replace some of those killer scolys you had. you have a great attitude and will persevere to an even greater setup i bet!

dude I wouldn't risk it, just buy some Marco dry rocks and do it right this time. Live rock from the ocean is too much of a gamble for pests.

I share that sentiment on live rock.   The last 2 tanks I've started up, both with live rock had some very undesirable hitchhikers.  I will NEVER EVER buy live rock again.  But I wish I had the cash to just swap it all out with new dry rock.  It's gonna cost almost $300 for 100lb of new rock, vs $10 for 1lb of CLC.  And since I also have 2 small children and little time to work on the tank, and even given that it may not work, I'm still willing to try it for $10. 

35% Chlorine:  http://www.poolgeek.com/BioGuard-Burn-Out-35-P338.aspx

vs the 6% or so in a bottle of Clorox.

Dude, reading this just ruined my day.  You and your tank were the things that inspired me to dive into the hobby like I have this year.  For that, I owe you and will help in anyway I can when you're ready to get back on your feet.  

I didn't see any scolys or fungias in the casualty list...... I'm guessing you had some corals survive?

Let me know what you need bro. 

My skimmer is still going nuts after 2 big water changes. I used a little bit of pvc lube to prevent too many bubbles from being pumped out. Calmed the storm to a light rain but still overflowing. Dear lord this stinks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

josh, u know I have a few chalices when you are ready

john

Thanks John. It's gonna be awhile before my tank is ready for more stuff. But I'll be stopping by soon for some dr Tim's.

Dude, reading this just ruined my day. You and your tank were the things that inspired me to dive into the hobby like I have this year. For that, I owe you and will help in anyway I can when you're ready to get back on your feet.

I didn't see any scolys or fungias in the casualty list...... I'm guessing you had some corals survive?

Let me know what you need bro.

Yeah bro stinks to high he ll. But what can I do? Dumb mistake. I'll stick it out for now. Yeah lost some plates. Bummer

So far I've counted 23 corals dead and 8 more on the edge

fingers crossed they pull through.....

my tank melted down from a heater while i was away for a week and i lost virtually everything during this past thanksgiving....so i feel your pain big time.....

Oh no! I'm sorry you lost all of that stuff.

Years ago I used that slime remover one time. The cyano went away for a couple months and there was no visible negative reaction in or from the tank.   Of course that was when I was doing like a 50% water change almost every week because of nitrate problem. Perhaps my timeline and the amount of water made the difference.

Did you let your skimmer run with the drain plug out? The Only way I can see stuff dying like that is if you shut your skimmer off and had no water being oxygenated. I think we should make it clear exactly whst was done so no lazys do the same thing :)

We just used it in a tank and it worked well (if we continue with regular husbandry), nothing died or even showed signs of stress. Skimmer was good two days later and then we did a small water change and added some fresh carbon.

I feel ur pain too.. Xcept i lost fish with my goof..changed ALL my filter media and crashed the tank when i was a noob...corals were po'd but survived... Thank god my brother had "dirty" media filters and i could bum foams... Will never do that again!8)

Yeah like a knucklehead I had the skimmer off.. the instructions say nothing about the skimmer on or off. My skimmer is still going nuts after two water changes and 3 days time.

Skimmer on / cup off (or drain plug open) helps keep the water oxygenated. An airstone can help, too. Wait 48 hours before performing a large water change (something like 20-25% as I recall). The skimmer will continue to need tweaking for several days even after the water change.

If I had to guess, Josh, the problem that triggered this was oxygen depletion.

Skimmer on / cup off (or drain plug open) helps keep the water oxygenated. An airstone can help, too. Wait 48 hours before performing a large water change (something like 20-25% as I recall). The skimmer will continue to need tweaking for several days even after the water change.If I had to guess, Josh, the problem that triggered this was oxygen depletion.

+1 a good product IMO but only when used correctly and in the right circumstances.

GIVE HIM NO SYMPATHY GUYS!!!!!!!!! I begged and pleaded with him in the store not to buy that red slime tank crashing CRAP. He ignored me. I'm no genius but I know that stuff isn't worth sh*t!

Sorry to hear about this bro!

Josh, this sucks man. Really sorry to hear. You sent some random and nice small frags my way a ways back and I'm glad to get some back to you if you decide you still want some sps after the tank re-settles.