Should have known Better

yauger

so I've been in this hobby for a while now, some would say long enough to know what NOT to do in this hobby. well since the arrival of my 2nd child I have found less and less time to give to my hobby; let alone spend $$ on new corals. so as a result my tank grew some nuisance algae, red slime algae to be exact. experience has taught me what to do in dealing with this type of algae, mainly a result of neglect all I would have to do is use a powerhead and a toothbrush to get the algae off the rocks and do a water change to get it out. continue this method until the algae stays away. well I don't really have time to kick up my water changes (which is now around once every 2 weeks, but it should be weekly) so I had a bright idea. Lets use some RED SLIME REMOVER (you know the yellow powder in a small tube) so for a cool price of $16.99 I tried my luck at it.

6 scoops premixed, skimmer off, carbon off, and turned the lights off...

12 hours later:

Toxic Tort Colony

Cali Tort Colony

Gold Mister Chalice Colony

Miami Hurricane Chalice Colony

Tyree Tri-color Colony

Jason Fox Bloodshots Colony

Orange Crush Chailce Colony

Highlighter SPS Colony

Several Rainbow Acan Colonies

UC Ironman Blasto Colony

Jason Fox Jack-o-Lantern

ALL DEAD.

YEAH THIS WAS A GREAT IDEA. So basically being lazy about maintenance has caused me a couple grand in corals. 

Now my tank looks like the beaches of Normandy scattered about are the skeletons of my prized corals. 

I'm bummed in a sense that I know coming back from this will take time and $$ I don't have right now; so I just might run my system with fish only for a whole until I can accept defeat and break down the system.

Lesson Learned, NEVER take short cuts in this hobby. do it right the first time or don't do it at all.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry!  That sucks!  If I had any of the above I would give you a small frag. 

So sorry, when your ready for SPS hit me up, got alot of the named ones.

Man, sorry to hear that.  I've got a large colony of miami hurricane you can get a piece of and my jackolantern is growing fairly well and should be fraggable soon.  Just let me know when you're ready.  

thanks everyone, just wanted to post this so others can learn from my mistake. never be lazy when it come to your reef tank. there is NO SUCH THING as a shortcut in this hobby!!!

Fantastic advice. Ever feel like you "learn the hard way" every time?  I do!!!

yeah tell me about it... I don't have a issue with a couple corals dying but almost all of them? dang makes me wanna quit.

Holy cow, Josh. I'm really sorry for your losses. Red Slime Remover can cause a sudden crash in oxygen levels because it's busy oxidizing organics that may be feeding they cyano. That's the reason they recommend heavy aeration using a big airstone. It drives skimmers nuts, too, so people often shut them down which aggravates the oxygen depletion (or pull the cup and just let it overflow - which has the advantage of aerating the water). Some people say that using half of the recommended dose to start works often enough that it's recommended. This does nothing for your situation.

Do the recommended big water changes and start your skimmer if it's off. If it were me, I'd leave the corals in their until I was convinced that all was lost and that a few polyps didn't survive that could repopulate.

No fish losses at all in this event?

Really sorry to hear that. I used this stuff years ago and ended up having to take one of my seahorses to the vet for gas bubble disease afterwards because of it. Red Slime Remover is just terrible stuff that really should not be sold, period as far as I am concerned.

That is crazy....your tank was looking soooooo good the other day.  I have a frag very similar to your toxic green tort already on a plug when your ready.  I also have some mystic sunset if you want it. 

yeah silly mistake on my part due to me being lazy. oh well. time to make a choice. should I stay or should I go?

thanks everyone for the frag offers, I just might hit you up for some stuff, but I need to make up my mind if I want to put more $$ into my system or sell it off and put the hardware into storage.

Holy cow, Josh. I'm really sorry for your losses. Red Slime Remover can cause a sudden crash in oxygen levels because it's busy oxidizing organics that may be feeding they cyano. That's the reason they recommend heavy aeration using a big airstone. It drives skimmers nuts, too, so people often shut them down which aggravates the oxygen depletion (or pull the cup and just let it overflow - which has the advantage of aerating the water). Some people say that using half of the recommended dose to start works often enough that it's recommended. This does nothing for your situation.

Do the recommended big water changes and start your skimmer if it's off. If it were me, I'd leave the corals in their until I was convinced that all was lost and that a few polyps didn't survive that could repopulate.

No fish losses at all in this event?

nah no fish, only my corals. that stuff is nasty I should have known better than to think a shortcut will be good for me. what's the old saying again? Only bad things happen fast...

Yeah, only bad things happen fast in a reef tank. Like Eric, I have a toxic green tort colony (from Steve) that's settled in now and starting to grow. I've not fragged it yet. I would for you though (though Eric's closer to you than me).

Josh I think for some people situations like this name them realize this hobby isn't for them or they just weren't successful at it. But that is NOT you and your tanks have inspired too many on here for you not to take your lumps and learn that laziness has no place in this hobby and move on better than before. There are a lot of your corals out here that people will help you replenish .

Its not your time to get out...its your time to stand up and dust yourself off and tap into your creativity....whether that's to carve out a specific WC time (I've done them at 11pm when its nice and quiet in the house...or resources both financial or creating systems to streamline your process.

I agree with Tom and see if a few stray polyps survived.

Take a deep breath and just recreate...you have tremendous skills and even bigger support here with WAMAS to pull you through it!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

well since the arrival of my 2nd child I have found less and less time to give to my hobby; let alone spend $$ on new corals. so as a result my tank grew some nuisance algae, red slime algae to be exact. experience has taught me what to do in dealing with this type of algae, mainly a result of neglect all I would have to do is use a powerhead and a toothbrush to get the algae off the rocks and do a water change to get it out. continue this method until the algae stays away. well I don't really have time to kick up my water changes (which is now around once every 2 weeks, but it should be weekly)

Welcome to the club...   Except my problem is Neomeris annulata...   For a such a difficult algae to keep around, I am freaking amazing at breading it.  It's on almost every single rock, coral stalk & bit of plumbing in my tank.  Yes, I have 135g of Neomeris...

Ran across this today:  http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/301388-green-wormy-things-are-taking-overneomeris/

Where they discussed several different solutions: biological, vinegar, peroxide, drying, chemi-pure, and more...  None were successful. 

The most recent post being:  "ok then, neo is currently deemed the worst invader possible to date"    

*sigh* FML

:cry:

Welcome to the club...   Except my problem is Neomeris annulata...   For a such a difficult algae to keep around, I am freaking amazing at breading it.  It's on almost every single rock, coral stalk & bit of plumbing in my tank.  Yes, I have 135g of Neomeris...

Ran across this today:  http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/301388-green-wormy-things-are-taking-overneomeris/

Where they discussed several different solutions: biological, vinegar, peroxide, drying, chemi-pure, and more...  None were successful. 

The most recent post being:  "ok then, neo is currently deemed the worst invader possible to date"    

*sigh* FML

:cry:

I hear ya, I had gone through that a long time ago and the end result was to break it all down and start with new rock and corals... bummer broski.

Josh I think for some people situations like this name them realize this hobby isn't for them or they just weren't successful at it. But that is NOT you and your tanks have inspired too many on here for you not to take your lumps and learn that laziness has no place in this hobby and move on better than before. There are a lot of your corals out here that people will help you replenish .

Its not your time to get out...its your time to stand up and dust yourself off and tap into your creativity....whether that's to carve out a specific WC time (I've done them at 11pm when its nice and quiet in the house...or resources both financial or creating systems to streamline your process.

I agree with Tom and see if a few stray polyps survived.

Take a deep breath and just recreate...you have tremendous skills and even bigger support here with WAMAS to pull you through it!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I don't know about all that, but my system was looking darn good for the past 8 months or so since I setup this new tank. it's not that I've lost the spirit of the hobby. far from it, hence just selling off corals and fish and storage the rest of my equipment. bah! who am I kidding, I'm staying in, just hate seeing my reef look like cr ap.

I hear ya, I had gone through that a long time ago and the end result was to break it all down and start with new rock and corals... bummer broski.

That's what I am hearing.   I am willing to try one more thing before I go that route though.  

Good old, Biogaurd granular calcium chloride.  Mix 1lb of that in a 18g rubber maid bin and soak the rocks in it.  If that doesn't kill it, well.  I am afraid the only that will is probably copper. 

you know your staying in....so just let me know when your ready...

thanks broski, TOM you too bro! I'm thinking of moving far away from SPS since they are a P.I.T.A. maybe go for a tank like Travis. dunno, all I do know is that as of now I maybe have 1/3rd of my corals still alive but looking like crud. haven't had the lights on for 2 days now. scared to turn them on to see the end result. oh well, another WC tonight and one more for tomorrow, then off to BRK to buy Dr TIMS bio stuff and start over with coral population. the scolys were hanging in there yesterday but looking like junk, I'm hoping that I don't have to trash them as the cost is insane.