Aiptasia club

Orion

Looks like I am now part of the Aiptasia club. Only took me 6 months into reefing to finally get one.

post-2633482-13673608878_thumb.jpg

I only see one. What's the best way to get rid of it so I don't get more?

hee hee...you only SEE one...he has friends hidden in the rock crevices...

you can use commercial products like aptaisia X or inject them with lemon juice or vinegar or a kalk slurry...and sometime peppermints in the large amounts will take care of them...but for your issue i would just inject them...

You are probably right. Now to inject them - how? With a needle/syringe?

Do you actually have to inject it? Or can you just squirt onto it?

you have to squirt it into it for it to really work...if you only squirt it near or just on it will close up and wait it out and then come back pissed

you have to squirt it into it for it to really work...if you only squirt it near or just on it will close up and wait it out and then come back pissed

I feel like this involves great levels of sneakyness.

it does because if it senses you coming it goes into the rock and then to punish you it splits into 5 more over night. You have to sneak up on them and move like a ninja....no water movement....I have good success with the aptaisia X because it seems to think its food and it even kinda tries to eat it...and then i inject it fast and they explode...literally.

LOL.

What if I took the rock out and covered the Aiptasia in superglue?

I put one peppermint in my tank and within a couple of weeks the aptasia was gone

I tried the injections with no success. I got two Peppermints for my 56g and they were gone in 2 days. I have remained Aptasia free ever since. Guess I got lucky.

I tried the injections with no success. I got two Peppermints for my 56g and they were gone in 2 days. I have remained Aptasia free ever since. Guess I got lucky.

1. thats awesome...they are hit or miss and usually depends on the size of the aptaisia and whether you buy the right peppermint type...

2. where the heck have you been? lol

I put one peppermint in my tank and within a couple of weeks the aptasia was gone

+1. I tried the injection but aiptasia would come back after few days so I got a peppermint shrimp and the aiptasia has not returned.

i favor biological control because by the time you see one there are more. i got some peppermint shrimp from brk which are working very well. doesnt seem to care what size the aiptasia are either.

Let's not forget the Aiptasia eating Berghia Nudibranch

(edited)

I've also used Aiptasia X with no success. I ended up buying a filefish and he took care of it with in a week.

Edited by kjamaya

You have 1......1 and your part of the club.....cmon thats nothing. well i guess its 1 but if you only knew how bad it can get.

Just get a pair of tweesers and rip that stinker off of their....get the base as best you can.

aiptasia X, kalk paste, vinegar all should work.

Berghia.....you dont have enough to even consider them.

get it while you can and save yourself a headache,

if yuo can remove the rock do it and scrap as much as you can off.

Injecting is very hard to do. They usually retract and you are left squirting the outside with whatever you are using.

I found kalk paste to be very effective, especially on those larger buggers. But. You don't inject it. Make it a thick slurry and use the syringe (no needle) to apply a dollop above it. When it hits the tentacles, the anemone retracts, taking the kalk with it. If it is in a crack/hole, then pack some into the hole with it. It burns them away very quickly.

Just don't do too much in one sitting. Too much extra kalk in the tank can play havoc with things.

That said - whenever you see one - act on it. Don't wait. They split pretty quickly.

Joes juice and Aptasia x both come with a little injection syringe.

Injection isn't that hard, you get the feel of it after your 100th aptasia.

The most important part is to inject the bugger right on the oral disc. Try not to hit too many tentacles on the way. Once it closes up, it's safe. Just wait for it to open again and try again. Consider it fine motor coordination training. I kind of enjoy sneaking up on the little buggers, calculating my attack.

with aiptasia X or a kalk slurry you just need to turn off your powerheads/water movement for 20min or more....make sure you encase the thing in it...all your doing is creating a localized ph spike that melts the anem (yes aiptasia is an anem)

so if you dont leave it on there long enough it wont do its job....if you leave it on there for a long time and then try to scrape off any carcass i think it works best (especially since you only have 1)