Auto Top Off

cbatkinson

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a Spectrapure liter meter pump with an accessory pump: one doses Kalk and the 2nd RODI water. I adjust the rate of the RODI component about once every 4-6 weeks to keep the sump level stable. Zero chance of a float sticking and killing my tank with either Kalk or hyposalinitiy.

I use an Avast Topoff with a Bulk Reef Supply Topoff pump. If I were to do it now I'd try both from Avast.

I use an Avast Topoff with a Bulk Reef Supply Topoff pump. If I were to do it now I'd try both from Avast.

+1. Not as quiet as an aqua lifter but peristaltic is the way to go - no worries about siphon.

avast is the best ato in my opinion, no floats to get clogged. Set it and forget it

the pressure switch can get clogged just as easily and you want to make sure you keep it clean, free of algae, crabs, etc just as much as a float switch. with the float switch you can use a snail guard or similar.

I use the avast with a small pump and love it. Been running for a year with no issues

I've heard great things about Avast since I've been looking around, but apparently their pumps are quite noisy.

I use a gravity fed system... a 5G water container and a float valve...

How do you have this setup, any pictures? I don't mean to jack this thread, maybe PM, unless the OP is interested?

I've had several Avast ATO's for a few years now. With the exception of knocking the air-tubing off once (off of an early model), I've never had a failure. The sensor tubing is large enough and the air line stays far enough from the water that I've never experienced any sort of clogging or snail problem in all this time. It's been pretty much a set-and-forget device. Now, I've always used it with user-supplied pumps (maxijets or a masterflex peristaltic pump) and never in the "deluxe" configuration with an Avast-supplied peristaltic pump, so I can't comment on that. Two cautions are 1) Make sure that the air tubing is secure and does not easily pull off because, if it does, it'll turn your ATO pump on and it won't stop; and, 2) try to secure the sensor tube in a place where it won't rotate, lifting the sensor tube out of position. This is not normally a problem, but if it's a risk in your setup, then a thin piece of adhesive rubber between the sensor holder and the sump wall can help keep this from happening.

Now, I have also owned float switched ATO's before and, while they've worked well, I've had component failures requiring replacement of the switch on a couple of occasions. (In fact, I still have spare float switches today even though I've since moved on to the Avast ATO.)

+2

(edited)

I am in the process of setting up the JBJ ATO I got from BRS. Looks like the Maxi 1200 pump I was going to use is too much for it.

Something for you to keep in mind -> how water is topped off. Looks like I will have to buy the smallest pump to use.

Edited by mling

I am in the process of setting up the JBJ ATO I got from BRS. Looks like the Maxi 1200 pump I was going to use is too much for it.

Something for you to keep in mind -> how water is topped off. Looks like I will have to buy the smallest pump to use.

try the aqualifter

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I've used this on a nano tank in the past to adapt a Maxijet to to an ATO and to moderate the flow it provides. By adapting to narrower tubing, the flow rate is reduced, adapting to the restricted space and ATO response time.

Avast deluxe for me. A little noisy, yes but its only on for a couple minutes at a time so really no big deal.

I just happened to be researching ATO's as well. For all of you that have the Avast w/ a different pump (be it Aqualifter or BRS), is this the top off kit you have?

http://www.avastmari...ing/Top-off-Kit

I would probably be interested in the nano kit since it will hang in my DT. The picture is confusing to me. Is the float sensor just that tiny tube like thing (kind of like a mini reactor) on the left side? (I'm looking at the small picture w/ the nano magnet on the top left.) The right side is where the tubing from the pump sits?

Does this system have any issues w/ snails, causing it to fail? Besides the added float float valve, is there another way to prevent accidental floods?

I'm comparing this to the Tunze nano ATO that has the timer that prevents overdosing in case the float gets stuck.

Thanks!

I just happened to be researching ATO's as well. For all of you that have the Avast w/ a different pump (be it Aqualifter or BRS), is this the top off kit you have?

I would probably be interested in the nano kit since it will hang in my DT. The picture is confusing to me. Is the float sensor just that tiny tube like thing (kind of like a mini reactor) on the left side? (I'm looking at the small picture w/ the nano magnet on the top left.) The right side is where the tubing from the pump sits?

Does this system have any issues w/ snails, causing it to fail? Besides the added float float valve, is there another way to prevent accidental floods?

I'm comparing this to the Tunze nano ATO that has the timer that prevents overdosing in case the float gets stuck.

Thanks!

per your link above:

Driven by a pressure-sensitive switch located in the relay box, a strong magnetic field won't affect its operation.  The sensor tube can't get clogged with calcium deposits or activated by wayward snails as there are no moving parts.

per your link above:

Driven by a pressure-sensitive switch located in the relay box, a strong magnetic field won't affect its operation.  The sensor tube can't get clogged with calcium deposits or activated by wayward snails as there are no moving parts.

Oops... Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Yes. But I've not used the float valve option. Instead, I use an ATO reservoir that's limited in size and a peristaltic pump that delivers at a slow rate (1 liter per hour). My sump, though, has a lot of head room - probably close to 50 gallons I would guess, so it would take more than a week for it to overflow. (By then, I'd have bigger problems from a salinity crash.)

I've had several Avast ATO's for a few years now. With the exception of knocking the air-tubing off once (off of an early model), I've never had a failure. The sensor tubing is large enough and the air line stays far enough from the water that I've never experienced any sort of clogging or snail problem in all this time. It's been pretty much a set-and-forget device. Now, I've always used it with user-supplied pumps (maxijets or a masterflex peristaltic pump) and never in the "deluxe" configuration with an Avast-supplied peristaltic pump, so I can't comment on that. Two cautions are 1) Make sure that the air tubing is secure and does not easily pull off because, if it does, it'll turn your ATO pump on and it won't stop; and, 2) try to secure the sensor tube in a place where it won't rotate, lifting the sensor tube out of position. This is not normally a problem, but if it's a risk in your setup, then a thin piece of adhesive rubber between the sensor holder and the sump wall can help keep this from happening.

Now, I have also owned float switched ATO's before and, while they've worked well, I've had component failures requiring replacement of the switch on a couple of occasions. (In fact, I still have spare float switches today even though I've since moved on to the Avast ATO.)

Re: spinning, we solved that with the new generation of magnet mounts. We use a tacky epoxy potting compound for the magnets, and when you clamp it on the tank or sump wall, it is very difficult to rotate. In fact many times you can take the outer half of the magnet off, and the inner half will continue to stick to the inside, requiring some force to remove it.

So..Avast ATO is just that good, huh? I have searched and searched and only have found a couple of comments w/ minor issues (similar to what some have posted here) and most have already been addressed, like the previous post says.

Is it safe to say that this type of ATO (pressure) is as fail safe as can be if you don't take it for granted and do some basic maintenance every once in a while? I'd like to buy 1 ATO and be satisfied. First it will go in my current, no sump tank and then later to move it to a new tank w/ sump. Will I be able to get the digital output for whatever controller I will have separately at a later date? Another issue is if the magnetic mount will work on a tank w/ a "lip". In other words, the sensor and mount would have to be mounted below the lip enough to get the wire and tube to curve around the lip. Any experience w/ this?

I just realized I would posted this on the Avast section.....will repost if no one responds.

Thanks!