Two tanks, One room

YHSublime

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<wipes away tear>...Now every time he looks at the tank it will be like you are still with him.....

parting is such sweet sorrow....

My thoughts exactly.

So I'm slowly starting to feel like I deserve some type of award, a medal, or trophy perhaps. Keeping a 150 is tough, while renting, also keeping a fiance that isn't very interested in the hobby, and the limitations of space. I've defied most of those odds, but talk to me when I find out if we'll get our deposit back when we move.

Despite the charlie brown reefing week I had last week, this week is certainly  looking better. I am enjoying all the FS posts happening before the meet, and the package putting together from the usual SPS vendors and members. It is a bit like Christmas for me, as I like to do all my wheeling and dealing right before meets. Also, with the hoodie weather coming into season, Fall is one of my favorite seasons, everything is coming up Millhouse!

I had a few visits from WAMAS members today, and got some great gifts. I'm really going to be keeping my eyes peeled for some good SPS cutters, as I'll be fragging out what I can for everybody that is still so generous to me, even though I should be better with what I have! I added some really nice colored frogspawn, a nice strawberry shortcake, and a blue eyed cole this afternoon. The cole has taken to my Chevron, and they are a little like a clown pair right now... it's some weird Pez and Huly tank experience. Steve stopped by and helped me port forward on my Apex, and now I've got access from my web app, huge thanks for that.

I also recently acquired a 55 gallon barrel, although it looks like it's more than 55. I had a float valve that came with my RO/DI, and I used that instead of the coralife one that came on it. The RO/DI in the kitchen was not my fiance's favorite thing, and I know she's really been wanting me to get it out of the way for a long time. I mounted it to the wall in my "fish closet," which is nowhere near behind my tank, unfortunately. The barrel barely squeezed into the coat closet, and I was able to drill through the wall to perfectly squeeze the 1/4 tubing through. I'll put connecters in the kitchen wall, and probably a custom plate that I'll drill to clean it up from what it is now. Being able to make 55 gallons of RO/DI without flooding my kitchen ever again also is a big plus.

Happy wife, happy life!

The tank tonight, you know you love that red par 38. It goes on at night, or when I'm doing business in my window:

DSC_0240_zpsa6e0a41a.jpg

Wait for it...

DSC_0241_zps1b716944.jpg

DSC_0242_zps581d4e12.jpg

Our apartment has obviously just thrown on a paint of coat every time somebody moves out. The drywall is clean drilled, just the paint chipped off, in about 50 layers, like I said, I'll do a custom plate of sorts:

DSC_0243_zpsd1c68335.jpg

So between the random tubes sticking out of the wall, and the grow lights that can are visible from the front of you house; how long do you think it is before you have the SWAT team crashing through your door at 2AM? LOL!

LOL this is why I never let my tenants have aquariums ha ha ha...I know...Im awful...such a hypocrite, but heck I know how much I flood my houses...and I care about them....a renter would be worse doing it LOL

Ahhhhh not bad. Though...is there a back to that closet you'll need to get to, lol

I can, the barrel sits in the front left, I can reach back there no problem.

So between the random tubes sticking out of the wall, and the grow lights that can are visible from the front of you house; how long do you think it is before you have the SWAT team crashing through your door at 2AM? LOL!

I would make a heck of a lot more money if that was the case, haha.

Lol, his landlord is soooo turning him in for overuse of water and electricity, seeing that light will cement it!

I wonder how many reefers have their houses monitored...

LOL this is why I never let my tenants have aquariums ha ha ha...I know...Im awful...such a hypocrite, but heck I know how much I flood my houses...and I care about them....a renter would be worse doing it LOL

Yeah, it's smart. With two shutoffs hooked up to the  barrel, its fail safe (as much as it can be I suppose. With the tank, it's plumbed so even if I empty the ato bucket, and the overflows, there is still room.

Well, nothing exciting to add. QT'ing all my fish. House looks like Sea World. Trying to make it work.

I nabbed a pile of that Tonga rock I was looking for... SUPER excited about that. Will be putting together my tonga structure in the middle as planned after the meet. Corals are doing awesome, skimmer is pulling mucky dirty goo. Except for the whole "having to QT my entire selection of fish for 8 weeks" scenario, things are pretty fantastic.

Guess it's back to 2 tanks 1 room. You win, Jenn, you always do. Andrea told me I wasn't allowed to bring it to work, something about being distracted...

DSC_0241_zpsdf254a0a.jpg

Well, back from a great meeting. Picked up a lot of nice stuff, I still have frag racks completely stuffed, until I find a spot for it. Fish are all still in QT, so the tank is running empty. Sans all the shrimp. I picked up a porcelain crab from Quantum, and he hopped right into the anemone. Very cool to see a little white spot in a sea of red. The clowns frequent between the RBTA and the GLTA, so I figure there shouldn't be any competition for a nem. My RBTA is getting huge, it's averaging dinner plate size, but stretches to almost a 5 gallon bucket lid on some days. My exaggeration of that is not by much. The bubble tips have come back, which is interesting. 

DSC_0262_zps08975c37.jpg

More importantly, for all you rock loving folk, I added a structure to the middle. It's not quite what I was picturing, but I think once it's covered in corals I'll like it a bit more. Thoughts?

DSC_0258_zpsc0f116da.jpg

DSC_0259_zpsbf9c90d3.jpg

DSC_0260_zps8be61242.jpg

DSC_0261_zpsb954946c.jpg

Exceptional.....I love it.  Did you make that? or buy it from?  Wow.....

Many thanks! I had my eyes peeled for some Tongo rock for quite some time now. As luck would have it, another forum member posted up a pile they weren't planning on using. I picked it up at the meet. I made the structure, but out of about 8 large pieces of tonga. I was hopping for more of a slant, but it has a decent balance right now. I think the fish will like it. and I think once it covers in some coral it will look better.

I really like it.  Seems like you should cover it with some staghorn corals pointed up towards the light and then the live stuff would match the growth of the dry stuff.

Ooh, or cover the branches with plating montiporas and let them surround them, then they'd look like staghorns with never-before-seen colors.

I really like it.  Seems like you should cover it with some staghorn corals pointed up towards the light and then the live stuff would match the growth of the dry stuff.

I'm glad it's well received thus far. I had a vision, and this is almost it. I guess I'm starting to feel slightly packed now. I also wish I had moved it a little closer to the left or the right, it feels a little too centered. Oh well, the force has been worked. You say staghorns because they are faster growers?

Ooh, or cover the branches with plating montiporas and let them surround them, then they'd look like staghorns with never-before-seen colors.

I like the idea of plating montis with the staghorns. I was going to start covering it with zoas, but the ability to have different tiers is nice.

Guess it's back to 2 tanks 1 room. You win, Jenn, you always do. Andrea told me I wasn't allowed to bring it to work, something about being distracted...

LOL...I am 2/2 as I got some more rock in there too....and I might add it looks fabulous...definitely what it was missing....

Lets go for 3/3 and dump the LEDs lol...

BTW is that your own red light district you are creating?...lol...to be a fly in the neighbors house during their dinner convos as they look out their windows towards yours...

Not because they're fast growers, just that the upward branchy growth form would match the branchy upward structure you built.

Gotcha. Yeah, that would look cool! I'm still concerned about acros, as the tank will be broken down and moved in at least a year. I really would like to find a forever home (or at least long term) before I start letting my acro accumulate.

My Fiance asked me the other day how long SPS lived for, and I told her pretty much forever, but the chances of me killing them in a move or in my tank were higher.

LOL...I am 2/2 as I got some more rock in there too....and I might add it looks fabulous...definitely what it was missing....

Lets go for 3/3 and dump the LEDs lol...

BTW is that your own red light district you are creating?...lol...to be a fly in the neighbors house during their dinner convos as they look out their windows towards yours...

Haha, look who showed up to the party. The rock was luck, I asked, it showed. If only all things were that easy. I'm really still on the fence about it, but nobody who's seen it yet has said they don't like it.

You'll have to stick with 2/3, LED's are here to stay. I might need a chiller already, my temps are creeping up to the low 80's, yikes.

That is my own red light district. I have made several jokes about it before, but I think now people are just really seeing how serious it is. Especially because its my par 38 on a reverse cycle, so it's on only at night.

I will give you $10 if you put this in the window....

Posted Image

Get me the Xmas story lamp, I'll do it for free!

Nothing important to add. Just got home tonight, and took a look at the tank, and the new rock work has really taken with me.

I like the Tonga rock a lot.

How's the fish?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Right about now marks the exact 1 week of treating with cupramine. They are all at .5, and the Chevy is finally eating greens. The Chevy, although wary, will now eat from my hands. The Melanarus has an absurd amount of energy, but I don't see him eat when I feed, he has taken a nibble at some of Scotts food (which is what got the Chevy eating meats) but doesn't seem interested in the pellets. The hippo has cleared up of any sort of spots, and is a bright blue black and yellow. The Chevy still has a wound on it's lip, but it's healing, not sure what it is, or how it got there. Overall, good! I've got a 55 I plan on setting up this weekend and transfering them into it, just need to find the time to go buy salt, mixed up my last 15 gallons this evening, and ERC didn't have room to bring the salt to the meet this weekend.

I like the Tonga rock a lot.

Thanks! It's exactly what I was looking for, I was just wary of how I put the structure together as it wasn't how I viewed it in my head. I'm sold on it now, will look great once it's covered in corals.

if for whatever reason you are down this way, i've got like my own personal pallet of IO salt i feel like from all the purchases in the last three or so GBs. shoot me a text if convenient.

i didn't really dig the tonga structure initially i think because of how it doesn't match aesthetically to the others but the closer up images make me appreciate it more and once it is covered in corals, it'll blend well i am sure. the lamp is pretty hot, though. can you please make a go of that like ASAP?