Two tanks, One room

YHSublime

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're already addicted to colored sticks, better move in that direction.

Haha, I knew somebody was going to chime in with something like this. And I suspected it might be you.

I love the fact that SPS branches out, and gives depth. And the colors. I have an equal love for zoas, and lobos, but I don't like that they just "coat" things instead of growing out and up. I wouldn't even think twice about SPS if I knew I was going to keep this tank here and established for... well, as long as possible, but I guarantee we are probably on our last year here. The I think about moving all that SPS vs all that LPS, and the choice seems clear.

LOL thats probably what you said last year...and there you are ;)

I know. We're in a pretty good spot right now, between the two of us we can afford to save and I can obviously still afford luxuries like a reef. We'll have to be kicked out before we leave for a spot we can afford and aren't 100% in love with.

Good point, if your going to move in a year, then I guess you have your answer.

<sigh>

Also, hung this earlier tonight. Ended up ripping out the par 38.. not on purpose, it just came out of my lamp funny. If somebody knows how to wire this back up, I'd be greatful... it wasn't a cheap bulb. I was hoping to test it out over the mangroves :/

DSC_0293_zps986de57c.jpg

I still have to get some longer tubing. That ato bucket will go underneath the stand.

DSC_0292_zpsfbe38ba6.jpg

Edited by YHSublime

For safety's sake, Isaac, I'd probably just toss the light. However, there should be two broken wires, I think. One must be hidden inside the lamp now. One connects to the center terminal of the connector (I think that's the one that broke off inside) and the other to the outer (threaded) part of the connector. It's hard to tell, but it looks like the long wire coming out broke off of the threaded part at the bottom of the connector, near the edge.

Still, I'd just toss it and call it a lesson learned, unless you're particularly handy at repairing electronic stuff.

isaac, i wasn't able to get those photos as the light end connector is crimped on but the wiring is as i stated in my text and i believe is stating the same. if you're going to toss it, i'll give you $25 for it to see if i can fix it with some tinkering over the weekend. those fuge par 38s are awesome!

Edited by monkiboy

For safety's sake, Isaac, I'd probably just toss the light. However, there should be two broken wires, I think. One must be hidden inside the lamp now. One connects to the center terminal of the connector (I think that's the one that broke off inside) and the other to the outer (threaded) part of the connector. It's hard to tell, but it looks like the long wire coming out broke off of the threaded part at the bottom of the connector, near the edge.

Still, I'd just toss it and call it a lesson learned, unless you're particularly handy at repairing electronic stuff.

Yes, your observations look to be spot on. I am not particularly handy at repairing, and I'd rather not have to report a house fire, so I think I'll go with option B...

isaac, i wasn't able to get those photos as the light end connector is crimped on but the wiring is as i stated in my text and i believe is stating the same. if you're going to toss it, i'll give you $25 for it to see if i can fix it with some tinkering over the weekend. those fuge par 38s are awesome!

I'll take you up on that offer, just PM when/how you want to do it. I'm certainly interested in getting another one, maybe two?

I'll take you up on that offer, just PM when/how you want to do it. I'm certainly interested in getting another one, maybe two?

sending PM now. i'll let you know what i can find out about ordering more through ERC from evergrow or their other supplier.

Tank looks good. Just ditch the SPS and go all LPS/Softies.. You;ll never really miss them, trust me.!!

nearly 6 months later, and you may be right.

Lemme buy the stag back if you decide you don't want sps anymore. :)

Should have my new tank up and running by end of October.

Edited by brad908

Lemme buy the stag back if you decide you don't want sps anymore. :)

Should have my new tank up and running by end of October.

Here or Cali?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Yeah brad, are we missing something??? Lol

Here or Cali?

Yeah brad, are we missing something??? Lol

Cali. Will be making a build thread if the tank survives the move. Edited by brad908

Cali. Will be making a build thread if the tank survives the move.

Remember, the first post in the Dedicated Tanks forum can be edited. When you start the thread, you may want to reserve that first post for a current tank shot and start your discussion history with the second post. Grab both in quick succession, and then use the next hour to edit the second post with your initial build information. I see this technique used all of the time in some Phone/ROM forums that I visit.

How was it to assemble?

It's not completed yet. I imagine it will be fairly easy, but seeing as it's my first rodeo, I'm planning on two days, want to make sure I put it together right. This thing is massive. It's going to be a tight squeeze getting it into my sump, but it will work.

I had fun putting my CS1 together.  The glue is nice and thick, so you can use it to fill in holes. 

But if you put it on too thick with air underneath it (like gluing the neck holding ring on to the body cone), sometimes those bubbles will kind of try to come up to the surface, but not totally make it because the surface has skinned over, then you end up with kind of a hollow shell of glue.

So the moral of the story, as far as I was concerned when building mine was, be generous with the glue, but don't use too much. Hope that helps, hehe.

So the moral of the story, as far as I was concerned when building mine was, be generous with the glue, but don't use too much. Hope that helps, hehe.

So moderate gluing? Haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

5 gallon for size ref. this thing should sling poo on the 150.