Two tanks, One room

YHSublime

Very nice! Did you say how long in between the before and after shots were? Awesome growth on those acros. With these shots I am sorry to say, I don't miss the fish. ... A fishless reef tank... Hmm....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over sharing? Not possible. Documenting growth is the best part of tank threads!!

Haha, good, I feel I over document sometimes.

over sharing coral pictures only occurs when the reflection in the glass answers the boxer or briefs question

ROFL

How long was the growth on that green monti cap?  If that's the one in the back right corner, it looks like it's probably about 4-5 inches now? 

7 months about, I believe. closer to 5", it grew fast.

Had to go look in the browser...tapatalk wasn't showing the pics...looking great!!! Very nice growth! How long is the tank been running now?

Thanks! Those old shots are from my 57, that tank was setup around February. The 150 was setup probably around August, but really has only been running for 2 months or so now. All my old rock came over, and all the corals. I only added more sand, and more rock into the 150. I checked tonight, it's teeming with pods and growth has gotten a lot better. My zoas all took off, and my SPS is already yielding better growth since the move.

Looking great!

Thanks!

Very nice! Did you say how long in between the before and after shots were? Awesome growth on those acros. With these shots I am sorry to say, I don't miss the fish. ... A fishless reef tank... Hmm....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

About 7 months tops. I miss the fish, but it is very nice!

Corals are looking great, awesome growth.

Hey man! Hows tricks? You got the new system going already? You probably noticed I've got frags of that Highlighter all over that made it through the initial RTN deal when you're ready. I was also pleased to see how much everything was growing. Doing something right somewhere... although I'm not quite sure where and what!

Everything is good. I have everything besides a stand for my new tank, hopefully it will be here next week. Sending back the nanobox to be converted from 24" to 18". Probably going all zoas/lps with a few easy sps.

I will make a thread next week.

Tried a panoramic shot, turned out alright, will keep practicing. Few shots from tonight:

panorama_zps1d1f7266.jpg

DSC_0272_zps1191d5cd.jpg

DSC_0273_zps5896ad1d.jpg

DSC_0275_zps8d80be6f.jpg

DSC_0276_zps43570b30.jpg

DSC_0277_zpscfe051a2.jpg

DSC_0278_zps3e2e99b8.jpg

DSC_0280_zpsdf9fa296.jpg

DSC_0283_zps79361e57.jpg

DSC_0284_zpsb477d4a4.jpg

DSC_0285_zps98ea4f23.jpg

DSC_0288_zps167428ff.jpg

DSC_0289_zpsb10c6937.jpg

DSC_0291_zps366b9258.jpg

DSC_0292_zps0f3a3ee7.jpg

DSC_0293_zpscad2d6a7.jpg

thanks for the update - corals all look like they are doing well!

your tonga creation looks much better now and blends in so nicely. i think you've inspired me to look for some more rock my my tank, too.

thanks for the update - corals all look like they are doing well!

your tonga creation looks much better now and blends in so nicely. i think you've inspired me to look for some more rock my my tank, too.

I'm glad you've come to like it. It took me a while to come around as well, I think now that it's not so white, and the algae is starting to grow on it, it looks more natural. Plus it helps I dressed it up with a few frags yesterday before taking the shots. I don't know if that's how I want to keep it, but I'm anxious to get my frag racks out. I will have to spend some real time on the tank and reposition some of the SPS on the arch, as I didn't give much thought to growth when I placed everything. Everything is growing at a much faster rate than I expected as well, so it will probably have to happen soon. I took the flower petal, and the sour apple monti (I don't know if that is correct, I feel like I've heard it somewhere) and placed them on the rock with the red scrolling monti. They have both attached to the wall, so I'll let them do their thing, and trim as needed. I want to get as much done and handled before I put the fish back in.

Sorry if I missed it but those shots look incredible.  What camera are you using and was that with a portal?  Everything looks great.

Thanks for the compliment, my photography skills still need a lot of work! The camera is a Nikon D90. I don't know what lens I was using at the time (that's how lackadaisical I am with photography, haha!) I have the challenge of LEDs, so everything looks blue under any normal circumstance. I've been able to overcome that challenge by turning all my blues off when I shoot. You don't get as much of a color pop as you would in real time, but on the other hand, you get to see the corals the way they should look, without heavy over saturating and feeling "abadi abadie." I've found that it helps to turn off all flow, and for the shots above I used a tripod, which really helped. I wish I had a clicker as well, but I'll throw that on the wishlist with a macro lens.

For the shots with the portal, see my last batch of pictures. You can identify them, as they are mostly top down, or from an above angle, and in some of them you can see the edge of the portal, giving it a "fish-eye" effect almost. It's tough because my tank is so tall, but still fun. The portal would be a gem for anybody with a shallow tank wanting to get some excellent macro shots.

• 2 weeks later...

I kind of wish I ran with the MP's instead of the JB's now. Everything is doing really well, so and I want to keep it constant, cause if it aint' broke, don't fix it. put my montis on top and around my scrolling red monti. It's pretty much turned into the home for the GLTA, my Golden Torch in the middle, and they'll grow around the back, up and out. My aussie ellegance has turned into a big ol monster, when I got it, it was probably at 4-5", it's easily about 9-10" when it gets comfy.

DSC_0268_zps4847b022.jpg

DSC_0278_zps0cf7b1d2.jpg

hard to see in the whites, I don't know what this is, but it's growing quick, in the blues it's a deep green and blue tipped acro:

DSC_0275_zpsdef6d143.jpg

Looking very good Isaac! Everything really seems to like its home!

Thanks! I think you're right.

sweet. so jelly. even of your qt setup. revamping mine and love seeing all these updates and photos of the various activity!

It's exciting to see growth. And it's rewarding seeing the fish getting extra healthy. I couldn't have done it without your guidance and advice. Although I don't expect I'm on easy street now, I can definitely see my efforts paying off. I'm glad you like the updates, I sometimes talk myself out of updating because I feel like I just shared!

I look forward to seeing yours starting to build up, it's almost time, eh?

I kind of wish I ran with the MP's instead of the JB's now. Everything is doing really well, so and I want to keep it constant, cause if it aint' broke, don't fix it.

Confused on this statement, a bit contradictory. Are the WP's doing something wrong? If they are, then you didn't mention it here. In fact, you kind of said the opposite, that things are going very well...Can you elaborate?

Otherwise, things look great!

Confused on this statement, a bit contradictory. Are the WP's doing something wrong? If they are, then you didn't mention it here. In fact, you kind of said the opposite, that things are going very well...Can you elaborate?

Otherwise, things look great!

I guess I didn't finish the thought. The jb's are super duper bulky, mp's are a little sleeker, although, for the price , I guess you can't beat it. I don't want to change back to the mp's when what I have is working well, just wish I could "clean up" the sides a bit more now.

I guess I didn't finish the thought. The jb's are super duper bulky, mp's are a little sleeker, although, for the price , I guess you can't beat it. I don't want to change back to the mp's when what I have is working well, just wish I could "clean up" the sides a bit more now.

Ah!! Makes more sense now. Honestly, you're tank is so huge, it's no big deal. It's one thing if you stuck one of those on a 48" tank.

gasp....are the chairs gone? :ohmy:

you have done such a fantastic job with this upgrade Isaac...you have had every road block thrown at you and each time you met it head on and dug in...very impressive...be proud....cant wait to see it with fish in it again!!!!

gasp....are the chairs gone? :ohmy:

you have done such a fantastic job with this upgrade Isaac...you have had every road block thrown at you and each time you met it head on and dug in...very impressive...be proud....cant wait to see it with fish in it again!!!!

I moved them out of the way for the picture, they are unfortunately, still here.

Thanks for the compliment. There have been quite a few trials and tribulations. I cant wait to get the fish back in myself, I'm doing 5 gallon water changes every day, such a pain, but the fish are looking fantastic.

must be the black worms ... :rolleyes:

<its like saying Beetlejuice 3 times...sure fire way to get Paul to chime in on a thread-he senses those two words>

Haha, that got a chuckle out of me, however, no Paul B. here yet... he strikes me as one of those guys that might "Google" his own name with black worms ;)

Speaking of blackworms, the not that I want to blow them up, because I kind of like my little secret, but I feel like I should share. Listen up folks, this is news:

All black worms are not created equal.

The ones I picked up from Quantum are phenomenal. They are filled with life, squirm and move about, and aren't as... mushy and melded, as the ones I used to get from Pristine. What I got from pristine took months, and still most of them would hit the floor... not these guys. I actually have nothing to vac in the QT tank when I feed them! 2 days in my fridge with RO water changes, and they are just as squirmy wormy as before.

So other important news... which is why I am here, this is really just for Jenn, but Frank might be interested as well. Today, I won not only a battle... today I won the war:

THE CHAIRS ARE GONE! Not only that BUT SO IS THE FAKE TREE! 

OMG.....go play the lottery it's your day....

What did you have to give up in return or do you not even know yet...women are sneaky...sometimes we cash the chip in long after you even remember we agreed to something like this

Perhaps the difference on the BW is getting them the day they come in vs then sitting in the store?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

What did you have to give up in return or do you not even know yet...

This one.

Perhaps the difference on the BW is getting them the day they come in vs then sitting in the store?

I thought about that, but I work a stones throw away from Pristine, and I've definitely picked them up as soon as they have come in (or used to, I should say.)